iPad iPhone bit-perfect DLNA/UPnP wi-fi streaming 24bit or DSD files / high storage capacity / portability
Aug 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #211 of 249
  Thanks for the tip, but JRiver has same behavior as before: or it crashes ot I get DoP ALAC at 352,8Khz 24bit (no options are configurable under DSP settings after DSD1x is selected).

Where is located and which device or software has the "Advance" > "Rescan Interval" you're referring to?

Under DSP Studio -> Output Encoding -> select DSD in DoP format (if it is 2.4), or DSDx2 in DoP format (if it is 5.6)
You should not be able to choose sampling rate at all. It is greyed out. 

In Playback Options :
Audio device -> You DSD DAC.
Bitstreaming -> Either None or DSD

Start playback of a DSD file. Once played back successful, select the song and right click. Select Library Tools -> Convert Format
On the lower left side bar, you will see Convert Format. Select Convert file to ALAC( Or apple lossless format).
Under options, leave Bitdepth as Automatic. Select Apply DSP and ensure it is the same as DSP Studio.

The first part is to ensure JRiver sets itself to playback DSF properly. 2nd part is convert accordingly.

On Twonky, once you are on the wireless of your HDD, go to "http://172.25.0.1:9000/webconfig".
this is the Twonky config page (you need to ensure twonky is started. On the left side bar, select Advance -> Rescan Interval.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #212 of 249
I currently managed to stream (at home or via internet) up to DXD and DSD128 using MinimServer, 8Player and Chord Hugo.

CURRENT CONFIGURATION:
[MinimServer] -> [wifi/internet] -> [8Player on iOS] -> [camera connection kit (cck)] -> [USB cable] - > [Chord Hugo] 

- MinimServer and MinimStreamer (transcoding flac to wav, DSD to Dop/wav) installed on a Synology DS413 NAS. MinimWatch installed on a MacBook (for monitoring and configuring the MinimServer).
- 8Player for iOS.
- Chord Hugo.

TIPS:
- For your iOS, turn off all the notifications and system sound as these will interrupt your audio with nasty burst of noise that can be very painful.
- Restart 8Player after turning on the DAC with the cables connected to avoid noise being generated as the iOS device goes into standby.
- iPod seems to be better then iPad in regards to user interface and clicking noise when selecting next track.
- To make sure the MinimServer is transcoding your flac and DSD files, make sure MinimStreamer is installed. In MinimWatch's Properties, go to System and make sure stream.transcode = dsf:dopwav,dff:dopwav,flac:wav
- Configure 8Player for accessing your MinimServer via internet.

For those who want to tag dsf files, there is a nice application called Yate which I found very useful.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #213 of 249
[COLOR=222222]I currently managed to stream (at home or via internet) up to DXD and DSD128 using MinimServer, 8Player and Chord Hugo.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]CURRENT CONFIGURATION:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][MinimServer] -> [wifi/internet] -> [8Player on iOS] -> [camera connection kit (cck)] -> [USB cable] - > [Chord Hugo] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- MinimServer and MinimStreamer (transcoding flac to wav, DSD to Dop/wav) installed on a Synology DS413 NAS. MinimWatch installed on a MacBook (for monitoring and configuring the MinimServer).[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- 8Player for iOS.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- Chord Hugo.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]TIPS:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- For your iOS, turn off all the notifications and system sound as these will interrupt your audio with nasty burst of noise that can be very painful.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- Restart 8Player after turning on the DAC with the cables connected to avoid noise being generated as the iOS device goes into standby.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- iPod seems to be better then iPad in regards to user interface and clicking noise when selecting next track.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- To make sure the MinimServer is transcoding your flac and DSD files, make sure MinimStreamer is installed. In MinimWatch's Properties, go to System and make sure stream.transcode = dsf:dopwav,dff:dopwav,flac:wav[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- Configure 8Player for accessing your MinimServer via internet.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]For those who want to tag dsf files, there is a nice application called Yate which I found very useful.[/COLOR]

This is good information. Twonky had some issues, but I could use minimserver and see if I can get it to run on my Wireless HDD.

It is small. I mean the footprint of Minimserver is same enough. It worked flawlessly on my Readynas. Need some simple setup on transcode, it is able to stream dsf and dff file using DoP/WAV to 8player (iPhone). I belief it could be done for the Wireless HDD. (I havre downloaded the build for Lacie Fuel)

If I can get it to transcode diretly from Fuel to iphone,, it would be great! next to worry about it the batt life, but that would be a separate issue....

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #214 of 249
  Under DSP Studio -> Output Encoding -> select DSD in DoP format (if it is 2.4), or DSDx2 in DoP format (if it is 5.6)
You should not be able to choose sampling rate at all. It is greyed out. 

In Playback Options :
Audio device -> You DSD DAC.
Bitstreaming -> Either None or DSD

Start playback of a DSD file. Once played back successful, select the song and right click. Select Library Tools -> Convert Format
On the lower left side bar, you will see Convert Format. Select Convert file to ALAC( Or apple lossless format).
Under options, leave Bitdepth as Automatic. Select Apply DSP and ensure it is the same as DSP Studio.

The first part is to ensure JRiver sets itself to playback DSF properly. 2nd part is convert accordingly.

Thanks for the tip, but I've tried that and still crashes, I still have to convert twice for now.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #215 of 249
This is good information. Twonky had some issues, but I could use minimserver and see if I can get it to run on my Wireless HDD.

It is small. I mean the footprint of Minimserver is same enough. It worked flawlessly on my Readynas. Need some simple setup on transcode, it is able to stream dsf and dff file using DoP/WAV to 8player (iPhone). I belief it could be done for the Wireless HDD. (I havre downloaded the build for Lacie Fuel)

If I can get it to transcode diretly from Fuel to iphone,, it would be great! next to worry about it the batt life, but that would be a separate issue....

Any luck with installing mimimserver on the LaCie Fuel? I guess I need to install Java for Linux ARMv7 processor and the Linux ARM version of minimserver? After unzipping the Java package on the LaCie Fuel, it doesn't startup anymore - no led lights when charging and no response when pressing the power button. Guess I broke it!

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/embedded-se/downloads/index.html
http://minimserver.com/downloads/index.html

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #216 of 249
MinimServer on LaCie FUEL!
[size=small]24/192 - DXD - DSD[/size]

Great news! Just managed to install and run MinimServer on the LaCie FUEL (standard firmware 3.3.0.032, it has a ARMv7 processor). I can now stream up to 24/192, DXD and DSD files from the LaCie FUEL. MinimServer runs on Java so you will need to install that first.

The MiniDLNA that comes with the FUEL is unusable especially if you have a big library. The music just didn't get indexed probably and it is very unstable. That was the reason why I wanted to install MinimServer, especially when it is running so nicely from the Synology NAS - streaming even DSD files. It only took me one evening to get it working. What a surprise! 

The Linux in the FUEL make use of an application called busybox which replace many of the Linux commands - supposedly making it more lightweight. For those familiar with Linux, running command ls -al /bin will show many commands are actually linked to busybox. The reason for bringing this up is that there are compatibility issue with those startup and shutdown scripts provided by MinimServer that you might come across. More specifically, the ps command that is required by the startup script of MinimServer can not be satisfied by the one provided by busybox. But don't worry, MinimServer will still run. The only thing is that I still can't figure out how to run MinimServer automatically when the FUEL boots up.

SOFTWARE

1. Oracle Java SE Embedded version 7 Update 71 - There are 6 version for ARMv7. The version which I used: ARMv6/7 Linux - Headless - Client Compiler EABI, VFP, SoftFP ABI, Little Endian2 (ejre-7u71-fcs-b14-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-client_headless-26_sep_2014.tar.gz). The three HardFP version will not work. Have not try the other two SoftFP version.
  2. MinimServer for Linux ARM soft float

CONFIGURATION (same as post #212 - only change is that the Synology NAS is replaced with LaCie FUEL)

[MinimServer] -> [wifi/internet] -> [8Player on iOS] -> [camera connection kit (cck)] -> [USB cable] - > [Chord Hugo] 

1. MinimServer and MinimStreamer (transcoding flac to wav, DSD to Dop/wav) installed on a the LaCie FUEL. MinimWatch installed on a MacBook (for monitoring and configuring the MinimServer).
  2. 8Player for iOS.
  3. Chord Hugo.

SETUP

Setup Java (I followed the Java README and Installing Java on Linux)
  1. Attach the FUEL to the computer and copy the e-7u71-fcs-b14-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-client_headless-26_sep_2014.tar.gz to a new directory say java. This is actually located at /media/sda2/java. Make sure you uncompress  and untar the file using your computer. The gunzip on the FUEL didn't work or just very very slow that hanged on the directory - the ls command just hang there. I use a Mac so just need to double click not the file. A ejre1.7.0_71 directory will be created. 
  2. Detach the FUEL from the computer, connect to the FUEL's wifi and telnet into it using command telnet 172.25.0.1 and user root and password goflex.
  3. You will be at the home directory of user root. Some basic commands you will need if you are not familiar with Linux (or UNIX). type command pwd and you will get /home/root which shows the current directory you are in.  
  4. You want to tell the system where to find the java command - typing the java command now will return a command not found message. Create a link to the java command so the system can find it. Type ln -s /media/sda2/java/ejre1.7.0_71/bin/java /usr/local/bin. This will create a java file in the /usr/local/bin directory which points to where your java is located.
  5. Now type command java -version to make sure java is running probably.

Setup MinimServer (I followed the Installing MinimServer on Linux)
  1. Attach the FUEL to the computer and copy the MinimServer-0.8.3b-linux-arm.tar.gz to a new directory say minim. uncompress and untar the file and a  minimserver directory is created. This is actually located at /media/sda2/minimserver. 
  2. Detach the FUEL from the computer, connect to the FUEL's wifi and telnet into it using command telnet 172.25.0.1 and user root and password goflex.
  3. Go to /media/sda2/minim/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.3/bin directory and run ./setup command. Type no for now. Run ./startc to run it in client mode for now (closing this telnet session will also exit MinimServer). Enter the path to your music files when asked. Mine is located at /media/sda2/music.
  4. If you already is using MinimWatch, you can start it and it will connect to the MinimServer displaying yellow meaning the MinimServer is currently scanning your library.
  5. After MinimServer has finished scanning and running, you can connect to it using 8player on your iOS device. 
  6. Press return to exit MinimServer. Run ./startd to run MinimServer in the background. Ideally, you want to run MinimServer when the FUEL boots - using ./setup command to configure it. However, it is not working yet.
  7. The battery seems to drain quite quickly on the FUEL. To turn off unnecessary applications on the FUEL especially the MiniDLNA, use the SeagateMedia app to connect to the FUEL and turn on ECO mode in Settings/Power Settings.
  8. 24/192 files should stream without any problem. For streaming DSD files, make sure the MinimServer is transcoding your flac and DSD files, make sure MinimStreamer is installed by going to MinimWatch's Properties and go to Packages. You will need to restart the MinimServer manual as restarting in MinimWatch doesn't seems to work for me. In MinimWatch's Properties, go to System and make sure stream.transcode field is set to dsf:dopwav,dff:dopwav,flac:wav
  9. To stop the MinimServer, I need to kill the processes since ./stopall command isn't working here. Type ps | grep minim command to display the MinimServer processes. The first column being the process id. You should see two processes - one starts with tail and the one starts with java. Type kill xxxx. xxxx being the process id. I think the tail process is related to the compatibility problem I was talking about with busybox and that tail process shouldn't be there. More investigation is required.
  10. To stop the MinimServer, we must fist edit the ./stopall script because the ps command behave differently on the FUEL. On line 12 replace PIDS="$(ps -ef | grep mserver\.jar | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')" with PIDS="$(ps -w | grep mserver\.jar | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}')". On line 31 replace PIDS="$(ps -ef | grep mserver\.jar | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')" with PIDS="$(ps -w | grep mserver\.jar | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')". On line 54 replace PIDS="$(ps -ef | grep mserver\.jar | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')" with PIDS="$(ps -w | grep mserver\.jar | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')". Execute ./stopall.
  11. Top start MinimServer automatically, run ./setup after editing startd by putting PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin at the beginning of the file.

I shall update this post when I find anything new...

Change History

24th July 2015
  1. MinimServer will now start automatically after the FUEL is switched on. Need to edit the startd file that runs during the Linux boot up process - startd is called by /etc/init.d/minimserver which is created during ./setup. The reason why it isn't starting was because within the startd script, it is not finding java. Therefore, at the beginning of the startd script, you need to add PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
  2. ./stopall is working after a little editing. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #217 of 249
Hello All,

So I am an audiophile, and know zero about computers, do not understand the most of what I read in this thread.  I am looking to do the following:

-Ipad Mini
-External HD.  From my research, the Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB is a good option, please advise if otherwise
-The DAC I am using is limited to 24/96khz, which is what most of my music will be.  I understand Itunes will support
-I will be running optical out of the ipad.  Not sure which method yet- cck, pure I-20, looking for advice.  Would also like to charge simultaneously.

My biggest concern is will the Seagate transfer 24/96 without an issues?  From what I understand, some of you are doing the same thing with DSD audio?  If so, I think I will be ok.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #218 of 249
Hi,

Just wanted to share my experiences using iTunes Home Sharing to deliver DSD to my iOS devices at home.

I've been using Home Sharing for up to 24/192 PCM for some time. I disagree with the "really bad interface" comment in the first post. For me, this is the most native solution there is, it works really well and suits the formats I use (ALAC for lossless, regardless of resolution).

As I have a DSD-capable DAC (iFi iDSD Micro) I figured I would try the same approach for DSD. DAC is connected to my iPhone with the Apple Lightning Camera Adapter. In short, it works extremely well.

Workflow:

1. With an SACD ISO rip as the starting point, I extract .DSF files using ISO2DSD and tag as usual (these files work well with HF Player or Hibiki if I'm away from home).

2. I then package the DSD as DoP ALAC in foobar2000, using the same method documented towards the bottom of the first post of this thread but going directly to ALAC instead of FLAC. (I have tried going straight from ISO->DoP ALAC in one step in foobar2000, but this resulted in glitches at track boundaries during playback).

3. Resultant files are added to iTunes library.

Using Home Sharing, the DoP ALAC files show in the library just like any other (after all, iTunes doesn't see anything other than 24/176.4 ALAC) and upon playback, the DAC detects the DoP, switches to DSD, and (as we say in the UK) Bob's your uncle. Playback is gapless; it passes the Dark Side of the Moon acid test with flying colours.

I intend to test DSD128 at some point. ALAC goes up to 384kHz, enough to handle DSD128 DoP, but I'm not sure if iTunes will play it.

So there we go. This approach won't be for everyone. Additional storage space for the DoP ALAC files and an extra (albeit very easy) workflow step are the trade-offs, but for me, the fact that all my music (hi-res or otherwise, DSD or PCM) is together in one place in my preferred app, in its native format, without using any device storage, is well worth it.

[The iDSD Micro is superb by the way
biggrin.gif
]

Cheers,

Graham

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #219 of 249
HiGrahamL,
Thanks for sharing.

Could you give us detailed istructions on how to directly extract DoP ALAC from DSF without converting them first to DoP FLAC in foobar?

Let us know.

Thank you

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #220 of 249

Setup Java (I followed the Java README and Installing Java on Linux)
  1. Attach the FUEL to the computer and copy the e-7u71-fcs-b14-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-client_headless-26_sep_2014.tar.gz to a new directory say java. This is actually located at /media/sda2/java. Make sure you uncompress  and untar the file using your computer. The gunzip on the FUEL didn't work or just very very slow that hanged on the directory - the ls command just hang there. I use a Mac so just need to double click not the file. A ejre1.7.0_71 directory will be created. 
  2. Detach the FUEL from the computer, connect to the FUEL's wifi and telnet into it using command telnet 172.25.0.1 and user root and password goflex.
  3. You will be at the home directory of user root. Some basic commands you will need if you are not familiar with Linux (or UNIX). type command pwd and you will get /home/root which shows the current directory you are in.  
  4. You want to tell the system where to find the java command - typing the java command now will return a command not found message. Create a link to the java command so the system can find it. Type ln -s /media/sda2/java/ejre1.7.0_71/bin/java /usr/local/bin. This will create a java file in the /usr/local/bin directory which points to where your java is located.
  5. Now type command java -version to make sure java is running probably.

Thanks for sharing but I'm not able to follow your istructions using telnet included in Windows 7.

First I was able to connect only using "open" command, since "telnet" command is not recognized.
Second, I was able just once to "open 172.25.0.1", but then the command line ln -s /media/sda2/java/ejre1.7.0_71/bin/java /usr/local/bin has not create anything.
Now I receive an "impossible to connect..." message every time I try to "open 172.25.0.1". So I can't try anything else.
Could you give us more detailed istructions to install everything? With each passage and software used?
Thank you

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #221 of 249
HiGrahamL,
Thanks for sharing.

Could you give us detailed istructions on how to directly extract DoP ALAC from DSF without converting them first to DoP FLAC in foobar?

Let us know.

Thank you

Apologies for the slow reply.

I'm away from my PC at the moment, so can't double-check, but it's quite straightforward. I'm pretty sure the description below is accurate.

Firstly, the foobar2000 free encoder pack needs to be installed; you can find it at http://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack

This adds the ability to encode to Apple Lossless. Then it's just a matter of following the instructions at the bottom of the first post in this thread, but selecting Apple Lossless as the output format instead of FLAC. The result is DoP ALAC.

Incidentally, I'm using a superb app for playback on iOS that doesn't seem to get any attention. Search for NEPlayer on the App Store. It does a superb job of playing back DSD from a DLNA server and will handle either DoP or native DSD (.dsf). I've tried both Asset and Minimserver, serving up both DSD (.dsf) and DoP (which either will encode from .dsf files on the fly) and NEPlayer does a great job with either. It's not cheap, and there are still a couple of minor niggles (e.g. DSD playback from DLNA is not truly gapless, delay is <1s however) but overall this is the best app I've found for the job, certainly light years ahead of 8player for example. Check it out.

Cheers,

Graham

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #222 of 249
I have it working through iTunes. At least I am getting music out of an ALAC packed with dsd. I just got my little cyberdrive feather dac today and it works fine on both my iPad mini 2 and the iPhone 6 Plus. Next project, adding a powered USB hub. The little feather eats up the power faster than the headphone jack does. Check out the Cyberdrive Feather DAC for a really inexpensivedac, mine was $49 plus a pair of their in ear bass phones. The dac by itself is not $39, which is worth it as a fun add on. So this is easy and cheap enough to try, and so far the sound is good. Loaded up Peter Gabriel's first LP and Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here, they rock good on this set up using dsd files.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #223 of 249
Well the iTunes keeps locking up with the DAC attached. I am guessing that it draws to much power from the iPhone and iPad . Next up trying them with a powere usb hub. The cyberdrive DAC works great on a pic running iTunes or foobar also the little Zeus player that you can get from cyberdive.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #224 of 249
Ok how can I verify that my alac files actually is dsd over pcm? iTunes see's them as alac, and they play through my cyberdrive clarity sub DAC. However there are no lights other than a signal detect light (it comes on when any source is streamed to it). When I play the files on foobar they play ok. Any other way to figure if it is true dsd over Pam?

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #225 of 249
I am thrilled to find this thread and see that folks are packing DSD into ALAC, and that it can be streamed via iTunes Home Sharing to the stock iOS Music app, and output via PCM through the CCK to a DAC. Seems like this should work via "any" DAC that supports DSD via USB. But then I've read threads saying things like Chord Mojo requires 3rd party music player apps (e.g. Onkyo app) to listen to hi rez music. Is that info incorrect, or perhaps no longer valid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back