iPad-Fi
Apr 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #31 of 623
The interface on an iPad is superior to anything I have ever seen. I actually think my 76 year old father who is unwilling to master the mouse might actually be willing to surmount the iPad learning curve in order To get his newspaper. I think in this regard and in consuming media it is a big win. Consuming content on this thing is really a joy. The weight and awkwardness I mentioned above are it's biggest issues I think-at least for me. Also, 6 months of android have habitualized me out of the iPhone world and into googles. I keep trying to hit the back page button with my left thumb and I really miss my multitasking home button. Apart from those gripes there is
A lot to like with this thing, but I am still leaning in the direction of returning it.

This post was my first real attempt at iPad typing- not bad really, but I fear I may eventually wear out the autocorrect
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #32 of 623
I'm waiting for the smoke to clear as well as the inevitable 2nd Generation that fixes the problems of the 1st (read: public Beta all the customers pay for). There are also a number of other tablets coming out, some that will actually multitask & run Flash (not so much an issue now many websites are converting to Html 5).

Honestly, it's been my experience that buying Apple's first foray into a new market is only good for the publicity factor. People come up and oogle at your new toy, perhaps you get a few phone numbers or a new friend but in the long run you'll kick yourself when the next gen arrives with what the first was missing. The Ipod & ITouch are two great examples of where the 2nd Gen was waaaay better then the 1st.

Now, some childish giggling...I got to play with an Ipad and it's alot of fun! It runs pretty smooth and the techniques to move about are easy to pick up. It runs video very well and looks great, the internal speaker is kinda tinny and the headphone jack should be on the long side. The book reader is nice but I haven't read long enough to say whether it'll be an eyestrain. The page flip animation is very cool, you can slowly flip a page and flip back halfway. It's easy to type on the screen keyboard but awkward unless it's set down flat or anchored in your lap (typing with one hand while holding it with the other is awkward).

Didn't get to play with the other apps much, the owner was nervous and I could see the withdrawal symptoms emerging the longer I held it.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #33 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The weight and awkwardness I mentioned above are it's biggest issues I think-at least for me.
This post was my first real attempt at iPad typing- not bad really, but I fear I may eventually wear out the autocorrect
biggrin.gif

I am not having any issues with the form or weight of the pad. I mainly use it in lounging position, though. It would be more difficult to use in an upright position with feet planted on the floor. I am looking forward to getting the case, which should make it easier to rest it on something when I am watching video.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #34 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for $500 you can get a gen-old tablet that does all the same music/web/movies/netflix, plus all the software perks of a PC, plus a stylus with writing recognition, and has better specs

what benefits does the ipad have? (im kinda hoping the answer is none, so I dont go run out and spend another $500.... although I am considering selling my sigmas
wink.gif
)

User interface and battery life surpass any net book I've owned including those running mac os. This does what I want with out the extra bs. I have a laptop for that. You really have to play with one first to get the full experience. The simplified platorn is it's biggest benefit for doing things with ease. It truly is the user experience that is it's main benefit.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #35 of 623
Quote:

for $500 you can get a gen-old tablet that does all the same music/web/movies/netflix, plus all the software perks of a PC, plus a stylus with writing recognition, and has better specs

what benefits does the ipad have? (im kinda hoping the answer is none, so I dont go run out and spend another $500.... although I am considering selling my sigmas
wink.gif
)

That's the case for all Mac versus PC arguments. Do you have a macbook? iPhone? You can get cheaper cell phones or laptops with all the perks you listed. It depends on the individual.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #36 of 623
yup, if you buy to have a list of checkmarks, you get them more easily going to someone other than apple.

Funny thing is, I bet apple sold more tablets yesterday than everyone else combined. Ever.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #37 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like it is quite popular.
tongue.gif

At least lots of people waited in line when Apple Retail Store - Fifth Avenue opened today.

810x540.jpg

841x540.jpg

810x540.jpg

810x540.jpg

810x540.jpg

810x540.jpg

A real shame Apple do not release it worldwide today, but limit it to their US home market.
frown.gif

The iPhone history repeats itself . . .

cannot believe people do this!

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #38 of 623
Just got mine. Haven't read this thread. Will say it is pretty remarkable. Also thought it was just a big iPod touch. But makes you realize how limiting the size on the touch really is. Wasnt that impressed with the touch when i got it recently Just for surfing web and light Facebook and wsj.com iPAd is pretty impressive.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #39 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This does what I want with out the extra bs. I have a laptop for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a macbook? iPhone? You can get cheaper cell phones or laptops with all the perks you listed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
makes you realize how limiting the size on the touch really is. Wasnt that impressed with the touch when i got it recently Just for surfing web and light Facebook and wsj.com iPAd is pretty impressive.

so for those of us with tablet PC's (running Linux, krmathis
wink.gif
) and blackberries, is there much more to the ipad than 1) an entertaining UI and 2) lightening the laptop load?

if I got an ipad for the sake of leaving my heavier tablet at home on the weekends (when I am not typically working), how easy would it be to sync my data with it, without wasting too much time?

another question: for those of you reading e-books on it, how does the ipad screen compare to reading small print on any other back-lit computer screen? would an e-ink device be more beneficial?

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #41 of 623
I cannot understand the people who stood in line. My wife just happened to be going shopping sat eve and I asked her to swing into BB to see if they had any left-apparently they had plenty.

Interesting observatiion today with my family. A mix of very techie, mildly techie and those bordering on technophobic. I left the iPad out all day and at various times saw all of my brothers and sisters take a turn playing around with it. I am not sure if they had a clue what it was or if the wow factor of the foreign device itself spurred intrigue. At one point even my 7year old niece was even playing around with it.

I have to retract my previous comment about my 76 year old father. I pulled up his beloved newspaper and he read one page of obituaries before handing it back to me. I did achieve a very small victory, however, when he had to use a finger swipe to read to the bottom of the page. In any case, he certainly could do it if he was so inclined.

The othe fun part of the day was watching the horror on the face of my sister in laws sister who is a huge apple fanboy..... Girl when someone mentioned that I was pondering returning it. Somehow I don't think she comprehends the concept of brand agnosticism.

Anyway, still not entirely sold on this thing but I am warming up to it perhaps at least until something better comes along. I hope people don't start striking up conversations about it
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #42 of 623
Quote:

so for those of us with tablet PC's (running Linux, krmathis
wink.gif
) and blackberries, is there much more to the ipad than 1) an entertaining UI and 2) lightening the laptop load?

if I got an ipad for the sake of leaving my heavier tablet at home on the weekends (when I am not typically working), how easy would it be to sync my data with it, without wasting too much time?

another question: for those of you reading e-books on it, how does the ipad screen compare to reading small print on any other back-lit computer screen? would an e-ink device be more beneficial?

I think I would sum it up as being able to do all the fun laptop stuff in a very pleasurable way, but I don't see myself being very productive with it. I am actually starting to be able to keyboard type on it which I am actually quite surprised at.

Data is it's down fall for me, I have synced myself with the google ecosystem, insofar that it handles that I am fine, but I prefer android.

I think epaper is superior, but if you turn done the backlight I think it is pretty nice. I won't buy an ebook reader because it is too one dimensional, so I will have to be satisfied with something in the middle or pixel qi.

All in all, it is pretty nice to be able to do as much as you can in such a fun wAy on this only having to carry this, if that makes any sense, but my needs are far more recreational- I am certainly neve going to try to process my payroll on this thing.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #45 of 623
I've been working with my iPad all weekend, and I've got a feel for it now. A lot of the ideas of what it would be are flat out wrong. It definitely isn't just a big touch or a hobbled net book. It's a machine specifically optimized for everyday tasks. Ten hours of battery life... That is huge. No more vying for a plug at the coffee house. Safari is the fastest I've ever seen. Pages load and scroll immediately with no lag. Videos and books look incredible on this. The apps are much more sophisticated than the iPhone equivalents, and I imagine they'll only get more sophisticated as time goes by. Typing on the virtual keyboard is not nearly as difficult as I would have imagined. I can go as fast as with a normal keyboard... With just a little more error. My wireless keyboard docks with it flawlessly too, so there is no need to give up the screen real estate to the keyboard. Streaming netflix! WOW! Lack of multitasking is very nearly a non issue. The apps switch lightning fast and remember where you left them, so you really don't notice it.

I do have some complaints. The back shouldn't be convex. It makes it hard to hold at times. It would be better with a little finger grip along the back edge. You definitely need a case that doubles as a stand with this. My case will be here next week, but I need it now. The bookstore hides the free books... The link is alllll the way at the bottom of the page. There are only 125 free books listed. I want all of project Gutenberg in there. I'm not entirely fond of the epub format. It is a little too bare bones when it comes to formatting images. I wish it was easier to get documents on and off the iPad, particularly PDFs and cbr files..

But compared with the game changing features, those are just minor quibbles. This thing is great and I think my laptop will spend most of its time docked to a monitor on a desk from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back