iPad-Fi
Apr 4, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 623
i really dont get it
frown.gif
it doesnt multitask! how is this useful at all!?

i want to understand, really I do - can anyone enlighten me?

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #18 of 623
multitasking would be nice, but realistically, it's not that big a deal. jumping from app to app, even with them not running in the background works quickly and painlessly.

The user experience on the ipad is pretty spectacular. And this is with mostly untested apps, because the developers didn't have the units in their hands either. It will only improve.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #19 of 623
but one cannot listen to music while, say, searching for nearby restaurants, just like an ipod touch?

what can this device do that an ipod touch cannot?

i'm really not trying to troll here - i want to understand, because I am a huge tech nerd, and want to buy the latest and greatest; however as of right now, I do not see the use

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #20 of 623
on both the ipad and the ipod touch you can listen to music while surfing the web.

What it can do that the ipod touch can't is it's 4x the size, with 4x the pixels, and it's fast. What it can do is connect to a bluetooth keyboard.

But really, it's not for everyone. If the details of how things work matter more to you than getting the job done, the ipad's probably not for you. If you don't like software because you can't reskin it, the ipad's probably not for you. The ipad won't make other computers go away, and will probably make a lot of them get a LOT cheaper. Because the market is different today than it was on march 31.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #21 of 623
I got one today and I have barely put it down.. I am curious why people do not see the benefit of a larger screen.. Netflix, videos, magazines, photography books, your own photos, newspapers, games, music apps, web surfing, etc. Are all better on a larger screen.

The form makes it easy to read and carry around. Also, I use logmein to access my pc and it is a lot better on the iPad than the touch or iPhone.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got one today and I have barely put it down.. I am curious why people do not see the benefit of a larger screen.. Netflix, videos, magazines, photography books, your own photos, newspapers, games, music apps, web surfing, etc. Are all better on a larger screen.

Thing is that it's not innovative at all, and really, doesn't have all that much functionality considering its hefty price tag.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #23 of 623
so the apps I mostly used today:

issh (vnc/ssh client - both work really well, wish the vnc would send apple keys, but it doesn't yet)

safari (surpried? didn't think so)
mail (again
smily_headphones1.gif
)

harbormaster hd (fun little game)

netflix
various news apps
various little music making apps, mostly toys, ipod apps stretched

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 623
so the apps I mostly used today:

issh (vnc/ssh client - both work really well, wish the vnc would send apple keys, but it doesn't yet)

safari (surpried? didn't think so)
mail (again
smily_headphones1.gif
)

harbormaster hd (fun little game)

netflix
various news apps
various little music making apps, mostly toys, ipod apps stretched

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #25 of 623
I really had no intention of buying one (much more interested in Notion Ink and the HP Slate or a thinkpad x series) but I changed my mind in the last week or so. The hype was obviously ridiculous, but I sort of wanted to see what it was like to live with a tablet device having never owned one and sort of looking for a portable alternative to my laptop.

Ipad is pretty sleek, extremely fast and excellent for surfing the web/ multimedia. It is also simple to use just like an iphone and I really love the sort of lazy web scrolling compared to the hair trigger scroll employed by the droid. I really want to like it. Where it fails is primarily in it's size- it is too heavy and almost too large- I just cannot get comfortable with it in any position. Holding it like an ebook it is too heavy- resting it on my knees or chest seems too close to my face and awkward. I wonder if a case with some sort of hand sleeve wouldn't help or rubberizing the back so it was easier to grab hold of. At this point I think I'd be happier with a similar device with 7-8" screen and closer to the weight of a kindle. Maybe I need to hold out for an Ipad Nano.

On a side note, I realized while using it how much I prefer the droid to the iphone (except for the lazy scrolling mentioned above). I have a touch but I have not used it since I bought a droid 6 months ago. Going back the single button configuration is a big step backward for me.

Anyway, just wanted to throw some real world info out there.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #26 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thing is that it's not innovative at all, and really, doesn't have all that much functionality considering its hefty price tag.

I have answered most of these issues in the other thread. I thought this one would be more about people who bought them or had questions about them from actual users. I am not interested in covering these same issues again. You can read my lengthy responses in the other thread.

I am off to bash nikon in the nikon-fi thread...
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #28 of 623
for $500 you can get a gen-old tablet that does all the same music/web/movies/netflix, plus all the software perks of a PC, plus a stylus with writing recognition, and has better specs

what benefits does the ipad have? (im kinda hoping the answer is none, so I dont go run out and spend another $500.... although I am considering selling my sigmas
wink.gif
)

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #29 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for $500 you can get a gen-old tablet that does all the same music/web/movies/netflix, plus all the software perks of a PC, plus a stylus with writing recognition, and has better specs

what benefits does the ipad have? (im kinda hoping the answer is none, so I dont go run out and spend another $500.... although I am considering selling my sigmas
wink.gif
)

If you don't see the benefit, you definitely shouldn't buy one.

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif
)

Not being bounded to MS Windows is a strong benefit!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back