iPad-Fi
Apr 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #46 of 623
I wish I could buy one here now. Reading all the books, magazines and newspapers and listening to all the music in the world at the same time - everywhere in one device. For me a lot better than my iPhone or MacBook. All the great things I enjoy on the iPhone and my laptop in one easy to carry device with long battery life.

I have a few questions though:
- How is the sound quality for the HP-out?
- Does an iPhone dock connect to it?
- Does it have lineout sound through a dock like an iPod?

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #47 of 623
Apr 5, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #50 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ho...ne-amp-481202/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ip...-cable-481235/

Does not say if it is an iPhone cable or one specially built for the iPad, but I assume the former.

Cool - thank you for the links krmathis!!
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #52 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But compared with the game changing features, those are just minor quibbles. This thing is great and I think my laptop will spend most of its time docked to a monitor on a desk from now on.

what game changing features?

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #53 of 623
Apr 6, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #55 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A thread with a minimum of trolling and negativity would be better than that other thread.

I am planning to get one for my 77 year old mother. I know it makes poor sense to buy a first revision of anything (especially from apple) but who knows how long she'll be around. It was going to be a surprise, but i really should ask her if she would prefer a Tivo instead, in case I'm imagining her want or need for one. She already has a 17" imac and has learnt not to be disappointed by failed promises- she'll click on anything.

I look forward to the day when entire carriage loads of commuters are immersed in their ipads, so i won't feel such a geek having one. (a second or third gen)

A Tivo might be more easily appreciated, but I sorta regret buying my father a Tivo... all he does is watch TV. At least an iPad has some potential for interaction / brain usage
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #56 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what game changing features?

The biggest for me is ten hours of video playback on a decent screen without a charge. Pages and Keynote are amazing. (I don't use a spreadsheet, so I didn't get Numbers. But I bet itsbjust as good.) the touch interface totally works. That in itself is amazing in a device as complex as this.

A machine that isn't just a player, and also isn't a laptop that does everything I need on the road seamlessly and elegantly has changed the game for me. No more laptops for me.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #57 of 623
Quote:

The biggest for me is ten hours of video playback on a decent screen without a charge. Pages and Keynote are amazing. (I don't use a spreadsheet, so I didn't get Numbers. But I bet itsbjust as good.) the touch interface totally works. That in itself is amazing in a device as complex as this.

A machine that isn't just a player, and also isn't a laptop that does everything I need on the road seamlessly and elegantly has changed the game for me. No more laptops for me.

What are your video settings, if you don't mind? I've never gotten too serious about converting DVDs to video (just a handful), but I might do some TV shows now that I've got an iPad on order. Does it do 10 hours with starndard "AppleTV" setting in handbrake? (full res, 2500kbps)

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #58 of 623
Quote:

oh game changing for you. i see. btw the reason you get that 10 hours is because the internals are an ipod touch with larger battery. which is the reason i think this thing is silly and way overpriced. personally, id much rather my laptop/tablet that i can really do anything i want and not what apple thinks i want. i understand the ipad is pretty but it's just too locked down for me.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #60 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh game changing for you. i see. btw the reason you get that 10 hours is because the internals are an ipod touch with larger battery. which is the reason i think this thing is silly and way overpriced. personally, id much rather my laptop/tablet that i can really do anything i want and not what apple thinks i want. i understand the ipad is pretty but it's just too locked down for me.

I assume you've not used one. To each his own, really-- if you prefer a laptop, great. But 10-12 hours video is huge. I'd rather take an iPad on a long flight than a laptop. How long do netbook batteries last? I know my laptop would never last more than 2.5 or so playing video, and maybe get an hour or 2 longer using internet.

To each his own if this device doesn't fit your wants or needs, but I sure wouldn't care to use a netbook or laptop to read books and such. There are definitely some things this device will do better and more elegantly than a laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back