iPad-Fi
Apr 7, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #76 of 623
Yeah-- my response was out of context as much as your comment that I quoted. I realize you're in the "like" camp, I was just sort of making an observation on the whole with regards to people's negative reactions to the iPad.

I have a love / hate thing with Apple. They sold me on their software back in 06 with Tiger and iLife, but since then I've had my ups and downs. Hated that the iPhone was exclusive to Apple for several years in the U.S. (who does that these days? Oh yeah, Apple), and then they took their sweet time getting a consumer level quad core out so I opted not to buy a Mac last summer when I upgraded. Steve's got a pretty great following so he can do as he pleases, but sometimes it irks me
wink.gif
With the iPad... I had no expectations of what I'd do with the device. I just knew I wanted something sized in the ball park of a netbook (screen-wise)... and then the more I've considered the apps being made for the iPad and how it could function in my day to day life, the more excited I get. I'll be taking it places that I don't take a laptop and where my phone falls short. Can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #77 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it do 10 hours with starndard "AppleTV" setting in handbrake? (full res, 2500kbps)

That's the settings I've been using. The battery life is amazing. It doesn't get warm like a laptop either.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #78 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw the reason you get that 10 hours is because the internals are an ipod touch with larger battery.

No, that isn't true. The iPad has a totally different processor. The only thing it shares with the touch is the operating system, which is scheduled to be updated very soon. They're announcing new iPods soon and the word is that they will include the new processor and a completely new os designed for the new chip.

The ipads battery is twice the size of a touches battery and has four times the charge.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #79 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that isn't true. The iPad has a totally different processor. The only thing it shares with the touch is the operating system, which is scheduled to be updated very soon. They're announcing new iPods soon and the word is that they will include the new processor and a completely new os designed for the new chip.

The ipads battery is twice the size of a touches battery and has four times the charge.

Actually if you look at the tear down pics, there's 2 batteries in there. Battery life was obviously a priority
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #80 of 623
Quote:

That's the settings I've been using. The battery life is amazing. It doesn't get warm like a laptop either.

Awesome. I'll just stick with the AppleTV setting then if battery life is that good even with that size video.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #81 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a well designed product but definitely not aimed for creative people.

I'm a creative person and I'm excited about it. Pages and Keynote are incredible tools, especially the way they integrate with the photo library in the iPad. The iPod wasn't a product that only worked for people who buy their music in the iTunes store, and this isn't either. I have only bought apps for my ipods, iPhone and iPad. Never bought a movie, book or song. I make my own and use archive.org. There's more than one way to use these devices.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #82 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone jack is on the top. Embarrassingly stupid.

There is no top or bottom on an iPad.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #83 of 623
Quote:

The mere fact that it doesn't have a keyboard limits its capacity for creativity, I would think.

The iPad can be linked with most mac Bluetooth keyboards. I use mine with one when I'm using the page layout/word processing app.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #84 of 623
Quote:

I didn't say it was a flaw. The lack of a more usable input device is obviously a shortcoming, though, when we're talking about an internet device.

You can't blame the fact that you didn't even read what he wrote on lack of a keyboard!

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #85 of 623
I finally squeezed into an Apple Store at lunch today and spent 30 minutes with an iPad.

Wow - I think it is wonderful!

I found it very comfortable and intuitive since I've been a heavy iPhone user for the better part of three years. The processor speed and lack of need to constantly pan and scroll makes it a joy to use.

I almost caved and bought one on the spot. However, I'm holding out for the 3G model in a few weeks. I'm out of the house most of the day and travel as much as possible, so a 3G iPad will just about replace my laptop. The battery life is much better and while my use was limited, I found the web browsing experience better than almost anything I've used. I'd much rather use my hands to move around the web than a mouse and cursor. Internet, email, my favorite apps, and the camera adapter will cover about 95% of my needs.

If only the 3G version was out right now. It'll be here soon enough, though.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #87 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cannot believe people do this!

That is what a "head-fi store" would look like if say, the pico slim were released like the ipad.......

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #88 of 623
Quote:

I'm a creative person and I'm excited about it. Pages and Keynote are incredible tools, especially the way they integrate with the photo library in the iPad. The iPod wasn't a product that only worked for people who buy their music in the iTunes store, and this isn't either. I have only bought apps for my ipods, iPhone and iPad. Never bought a movie, book or song. I make my own and use archive.org. There's more than one way to use these devices.

Good for you.

For me it is a huge flaw if I do a presentation in keynote and the only way to access my graphics and etc. files is to hook Ipad to a stationary computer or in a best case a notebook. Ipad is a portable slate? Yes if you carry your note book along !? - No usb, no way to write to memory cards, usb sticks.
I could only find use of it for surfing and as a nice picture frame.
Things get terrible if you find yourself in a location where there is no internet access !
I would gladly pay double the price if pen input was possible and as said at least 1 usb port and one SD card slot.
Watch out the competition, sure they will copy the design form plus throwing in what Ipad does not have - basic connectivity.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #89 of 623
Apr 7, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #90 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it is a huge flaw if I do a presentation in keynote and the only way to access my graphics and etc. files is to hook Ipad to a stationary computer or in a best case a notebook.

You've forgotten that the iPad has image, sound and movie libraries built in. You don't have to hook up a laptop. The media files are right at your fingertips. No fiddling with file formats and sizes. It all works. When you want to give your presentation, you plug in the VGA adapter and your iPad is driving the projector, with the controls on your ipads screen and the show without the controls on the projector.

It's the same with page layout in pages. You can even export your documents to the file format of ms word or PowerPoint.

I don't know how a laptop would be any better than an iPad if there's no Internet access. If anything, a 3G iPad would be a lot better than a laptop, because you would get Internet access just about anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back