iPad 2 first impressions. Will you be getting one ?
Mar 6, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #106 of 249
Every platform will get great apps. I'm invested in iOS, and like any platform you invest in, it is a loss to jump out. Saying that, still, the apps I've used that are for iPad and iPhone are of incredible quality. Mostly, I am referring to EQ's, dictionaries, graphics apps, text editing apps, and the like. Every platform had BETTER have something to sell, otherwise it is worthless to the consumer. I don't wish any to have all the quality, as that would lead to market stagnation, but, I've not used similarly high-quality productivity apps on any platform for MY needs.

My mail needs are probably much less than most people's, primarily influenced by the fact that my home has horrid WIFI that doesn't work on anything but personal computers. So, mail, and to an extent, browsers, are not my concern. 

Google's Chrome browser is great, of course, it shares most of its code with Safari. But visual/GUI enhancements, like tabbed browsing, may be helpful for a number of people. Again, I don't use internet enough to know. 

But, iDevices have never compromised on quality audio signals, certainly not in comparison to other smart devices, plus they are shaping up to be amazing gaming/productivity platforms and even interact inspiringly with musical engineering devices. At NAMM Show, I got to use a remote mixing monitor for small venue concerts and churches, etc. Amazing to be able to take an iPad and walk around to the most difficult to monitor sections of the room and monitor levels on the fly, with full adjustment.

We are waaaay beyond the days of calling people iSheep. If professionals can use iDevices realtime at work and make higher quality experience for their own customers, that is a good thing. The only thing left about iSheep and railing on Apple is simple ignorance.

Still, I won't be getting iPad 2. It's too much money, and my iPad 1 is lovely. Maybe in two years, or if someone wants to buy mine in a year, I'll go for iPad 3. Before breaking my arm, I was using iPad for hours a day doing most of the creative and constructional part of my work. I've simply nothing to say against it. 

If Apple choose not to include SD card, that is their choice. Same with USB or Thunderbolt. People who need those things wouldn't be going for iPad anyway, so there is no reason to get huffy. For my needs, there is still NO better device, but I'm sure Apple will prove me wrong in a few years with iPad 4, or something.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #107 of 249

Quote:
Android is older than iOS, but that doesn't matter. Calling a person a sheep because they use a company... is bah bah stupid, really. And, as illustrated in this same thread, the same vehement opposition that anti-sheep attack Apple with, is as (for lack of a better term), sheepish. 

As I said, market share doesn't matter by itself. As I said, I don't want the lowest common denominator. I don't understand, either, why people who on these forums bash Apple for being soo big, cuddle with even larger collection systems: Android (will be runaway larger soon), Windows (no comparison), and still pretend to independent, and unique. 

well.... the first released android phone was 2008.  I dunno when Iphone 2g came out but im pretty sure it was pre-2008 correct me if I'm wrong....and I know iOS was only with the 4.0 update to iphone but iOS was basically the same OS they used previously but with some tweaks and modifications; they just put an "i" in front of "OS".

Quote:
@TekeRugburn I think you need to get out more, or atleast try to be a bit more contributing? Stop sitting in the computer e-thuggin it out on why ____ is better than _____ and blah blah, talking about isheeps and blah blah. Whats the point? Apple users are going to use apple until they feel they want to make the switch to android os. You have absolutely no control over the decision that others make, and have absolutely no right to bash them for that. Futhermore, bashing iOS and apple products won't really help win them over to Android OS. Imo it will make them even more apologetic towards Jobs and Apple. You should try a different approach, ofcourse, assuming that's what you intend: converting people from iOS to AOS. If not, and you're just here to troll in attempt to alleviate your control issues in real life, continue; however, it will get you nowhere and won't solve any of your psychological and/or social problems. ^.^

P.S. I'm not a fan of apple products nor iOS but I find iPad more appealing than the Galaxy tablet (I'm a Samsung fan btw... cuz I'm Korean...) The only reason I'm down for iPad 2 is cuz I have yet to purchase the iPad, but now the 2nd version comes out with white!!! and a cute cover :p muahahah

1.  I never said Android is better than iOS, if you read my posts.  Mostly pointing out that apples "updates" to idevices are usually without a better word lacking.  Ipad 1 good tablet, few things people wanted weren't there.  Now they made an update, but pretty much most of the things people wanted on it (save the 0.3mp front camera) still aren't there....thats why I say its crap.  Now if you don't have an ipad sure.... get the ipad 2.  I was pointing out Apples history of making "in between" models (to generate cashflow) before making a real update to their line.  That's where apple makes there money; people blindly following them.

2.  Now thinking because people have a contradictory view have mental issues? Kind of sad to even suggest it.

3.  I never told anyone to go or use windows or android; each OS has their niche.

4.  Like I said in a previous post I OWNED apple products; just only when I think there was a big of enough step up from their past version.

Now as far as me saying isheep.... don't take offense so easily.  If I offended anyone; I apologize to you...... and your cult/apple followers (that was meant as a joke if you didn't get my humor)   Funny how Apple is such a sensitive topic for people.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #108 of 249
@teke, you're still missing the point of our posts: you're attacking the people (iSheeps) when it is iOS/Apple that you have a problem with. For #2, No. Everyone has contradictory views. However, those who vent it online in a forum, attacking those who own the OS that you have a problem with, is suggesting that you have a psychological issue, and it appears you are not aware of it; a psychiatrist will :D

As for #1. Look. This is a company. A huge one. Their goal isn't to make the best products out there with a small profit just to do good to the world, such as some of the audio companies that are involved in this forum. This company has MANY employees, but above that, it has the capability to make a HUGE amount of profit from even merely a useless update like the iPad 2. If you think no company should attempt to make the most $ possible, you have a problem. You're only thinking from your own view, not both. Hell, even I would do whatever I can to make the most money possible with updates and crap as long as its quality is still high (I would actually charge more for a white iPad :D). Look, the world isn't all nice and generous; y our thinking is very naive, and I think you should have a 'time out' session to critically think over all the crap you're saying on here.

If you still think Apple is a company from hell, and it should burn down in flames because it tries to make a lot of profit, you should take a look at the custom cable companies here (not saying they should burn down in flames). $200 for an adapter. Really? (No offense Ken)

It seems to me you're the one sensitive to Apple, my friend. I'm not an Apple follower, but I do give a crap a bout people like you.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #110 of 249
I'm a huge iPad fan boy. I've had 2 since the 1st month they were out. I love them and use them every day. I gush to friends who ask and defend them against those who mock. That said, I think this is a disappointing update...here's why.

I've been saying to all those Android proponents that I'm sure they'll love their vaporware when it comes to market as they will all certainly match the original iPad...just in time for iPad 2 to blow them away. Yes, all the new tablest have cameras, but just wait til you see what Apple will do.

The 3 main 'upgrades' are:

-processor speed - awesome...love it! Great job!
-camera - blah...Apple is actually late to this party. Should have been on iPad1. Not really relavent to most as facetime, for all the hype, is a feature little used beyond the novelty stage.
-Form factor. It's nice...a little slimmer (though like Phone2, the illusion of thinner is there because of the angled edges) and little lighter, but did anyone think the iPad1 was too think or heavy??

What would have blown the competition away and left them playing catch up once more are:

-retina display...or even just a better display.
-built in HDMI out...please no more with the damn nickel and dime adaptor crap.
-USB out - see above.
-SD card slot.
-tether ap that would let iPhone owners tether their iPad via wifi with no additional data plan. This would encourage those with iPhones to buy iPads and vice versa.

I'll be skipping this generation.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #111 of 249
Lol, you guys need to quit talking about the "iPhone 2" like it exists because there was no such thing.

Models and timeline: Original iPhone (Q3 '07) > iPhone 3G (Q4 '08) > iPhone 3GS (Q4 '09) > iPhone 4.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #112 of 249
TekeRugburn, Apple users are not sheep. These are devices we use every day and rely on. If they were unreliable, we wouldn't use them. And they add a lot to our lives. Right now, I'm hanging around my favorite dive bar and accessing Head-Fi from an iPhone. Call me names if you want, but I've probably put up over 10,000 posts from the phone and help keep Head-Fi running. Point: I'm actually using these devices and they're very convenient for me.

Also, you should understand that some of us have very deep connections with Apple. The first computer I used was back in 1979. An Apple ][+ a childhood friend had. My school's GATE program also got a ][+ that year and I learned how to do some programs in BASIC. My family later bought a //e, then I extensively used Macs to run my high school's newspaper (I did all of the computerwork and typesetting), that got me a part time job at a local Mac store. My first computer that was all my own was a Mac Classic I bought as a freshman in undergrad.

Back then, Apple was even more of a cult. There were far fewer owners and there were times when it looked like Apple wasn't going to make it. Every month, stories ran about the imminent demise of Apple. And I still have several of the old Macs. I have an old Fat Mac (512k) in storage and, my favorite, the //fx. It cost $10,000 new and while I couldn't afford one at the time, I bought one for much less a few years ago. And I have about 20 others in storage.

So while it is fashionable to trash Apple users these days, keep in mind that this is a company I've been with for over 30 years. I've been with Apple in bad and good times. From when I was just seven years old.

There's no other company I have been a customer of for so long. I've owned Ford products since I was 16 (still have my old Mercury), but have also owned a Mazda and my daily driver is a Toyota.

The reason I've stuck with Apple is that they've been good to me. The products work well (including my 25 year old Mac) and don't let me down. They're easy to use, have personality, and don't let me down. For the record, I also run Linux on a desktop. I love Linux and learned how to run it from the command line. Reminded me a lot of my childhood, with the old Apple ][ machines. I'll stick with Linux, but there isn't the slick hardware/software experience that Apple offers.

Anyhow, you can run down Apple, but consider that some of us have been with the company for decades. Also consider the reason I haven't been with other companies for decades is because they've let me down. Apple hasn't, so they continue to get my business.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #113 of 249
You underlined it, they are reliable and don't let you down - AKA you get what you pay for, I've never had an Apple product fail on me, and I've heard a lot less about stuff from Apple failing in comparison to MANY other manufacturers.

Anyway...Uncle Erik, you getting the iPad 2?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #114 of 249

Quote:
@teke, you're still missing the point of our posts: you're attacking the people (iSheeps) when it is iOS/Apple that you have a problem with. For #2, No. Everyone has contradictory views. However, those who vent it online in a forum, attacking those who own the OS that you have a problem with, is suggesting that you have a psychological issue, and it appears you are not aware of it; a psychiatrist will
biggrin.gif

As for #1. Look. This is a company. A huge one. Their goal isn't to make the best products out there with a small profit just to do good to the world, such as some of the audio companies that are involved in this forum. This company has MANY employees, but above that, it has the capability to make a HUGE amount of profit from even merely a useless update like the iPad 2. If you think no company should attempt to make the most $ possible, you have a problem. You're only thinking from your own view, not both. Hell, even I would do whatever I can to make the most money possible with updates and crap as long as its quality is still high (I would actually charge more for a white iPad
biggrin.gif
). Look, the world isn't all nice and generous; y our thinking is very naive, and I think you should have a 'time out' session to critically think over all the crap you're saying on here.

If you still think Apple is a company from hell, and it should burn down in flames because it tries to make a lot of profit, you should take a look at the custom cable companies here (not saying they should burn down in flames). $200 for an adapter. Really? (No offense Ken)

It seems to me you're the one sensitive to Apple, my friend. I'm not an Apple follower, but I do give a crap a bout people like you.

First, I understand the business and economics of a company.  I complately understand WHY they do it; I just don't agree with it.  From the consumers standpoint, such as all of us, why wouldn't we expect more out of the products released?  It's not naive to want more for your money.   To not expect more causes the evolution and progression of tech to become stagnant.  If you're willing to be content with whatever is released.... thats all you, to each his own.  Once again, I never said all of Apple is evil.... I've owned apple products, but I have to right to be critical of anything, iOS, Android, peanut butter, jelly donuts or whatever.... its my choice.  Maybe you should take a timeout,  work on your reading comprehension skills; then re-read the "crap" im saying.  As stated earlier, I apologized if you took offense to anything I said.  You say you're not sensitive about Apple; but your post suggests that you are.  You're just not aware of it.

You're defensive to anyone who criticizes... I get that.  But did I ever say Apple products are just complete POS's no matter what they release?  Just certain "updates" are, IMO.  Did I ever say apple should burn down in flames? or that ALL apple iproducts are completely worthless?  No...I didn't think so.  Now, if you want to group me into the "apple bashers" population because im critical about some of their updates.... thats fine.   But just so you know..... you can like a company AND be critical about certain products or how they are moving along.  E.G.  I like windows, but when vista was out I couldn't stand that OS.  I never tried to make converts out of you guys to follow any certain brand/os.  

Not saying you feel this way; but its okay to think $200 for a custom cable is too much but I don't have the liberty to think a product is crap and voice my opinion?

I owned a mac waaayyyyy before they put an "i" infront of everything.  When the only program I found for the thing was encyclopedia britannica...haha.  

So that we're clear..... I repeat again; I apologize for even mentioning isheep..... who knew the entire FLOCK would get pissed (seriously that was just a joke if you think I was trying to make fun of anyone again).

You are correct. There was no iphone 2; it was dubbed iphone 2G.  2G due to the fact that it only had 2G/Edge data communication capabilities....not 2nd generation.  

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #115 of 249
I have a Galaxy S because it was HALF the price of an Iphone 4, it came with a monthly contract that was ONE FOURTH of the contract for the iphone4 and what's really funny is that it's overall a BETTER phone. I needz moneyz fo' canz. :D

BUT to be fair, I'm running a custom ROM on it. Which took all of 30min reading a thread on the net to install. I don't know how long a jailbreak takes, but I imagine it's the same.

If Samsung behaved like HTC and didn't hobble the SGS with late updates and poor file system choices, it would have been the perfect phone for anyone, not just for tech savvy people. Meaning if the SGS2 or whatever Tegra device they launch next does not repeat the same mistakes, Apple who?

As for "apps", I need the smartphone for e-mail, browsing the net and reading stuff. I consider the app store just another means of throwing your money on useless stuff. Yes, that attracts more developers because there's more money to be made from bored suckers, but doesn't actually provide the users with anything of real value. The Android try before you buy system is much better FOR USERS.

For the record, I have an iPod touch that I don't use, I tried an iPhone4 before the SGS, I used to own an iMac until three months ago. :)

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #116 of 249
I have a Galaxy S because it was HALF the price of an Iphone 4, it came with a monthly contract that was ONE FOURTH of the contract for the iphone4 and what's really funny is that it's overall a BETTER phone. I needz moneyz fo' canz. :D

BUT to be fair, I'm running a custom ROM on it. Which took all of 30min reading a thread on the net to install. I don't know how long a jailbreak takes, but I imagine it's the same.

If Samsung behaved like HTC and didn't hobble the SGS with late updates and poor file system choices, it would have been the perfect phone for anyone, not just for tech savvy people. Meaning if the SGS2 or whatever Tegra device they launch next does not repeat the same mistakes, Apple who?

As for "apps", I need the smartphone for e-mail, browsing the net and reading stuff. I consider the app store just another means of throwing your money on useless stuff. Yes, that attracts more developers because there's more money to be made from bored suckers, but doesn't actually provide the users with anything of real value. The Android try before you buy system is much better FOR USERS.

For the record, I have an iPod touch that I don't use, I tried an iPhone4 before the SGS, I used to own an iMac until three months ago. :)

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #117 of 249
no im perfectly satisfied with my ipad nano. it fits in my pocket.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #118 of 249
I love your avatar! but I hate Samsung. If you want to talk about control, and market castration, let's chat in this thread about the largest conglomerate in the world. We'll hit politics, human rights, suppression of democracy - anything.

Quote:

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #119 of 249
Quote:
Android is not broken, it's still evolving rapidly and that puts it into a pseudo-beta state. Also, you have hardware companies like Samsung that want you to change phones like socks and refuse to support/update their devices properly to force you to. Given all that, it's still a lot better than I'd expect.

3.0 is the first Android tablet version, so the fight on the tablet market hasn't even begun. I don't need to tell you Android already won the phone battle.

What I'm talking about here is the quality of OS, not how many phones are sold. Exactly how long had iphone been out? I believe it was out in 2007, so the Android had some time to catch up, but it had been in the beta state for the last 3+ years, or 5 if you count their early years. iPhone "first gen" was arguably more systematically polished and solid than the current Android devices. I'm not hating on Android, in fact, I get excited every they come out with a new update, hoping that the update will actually bring the Android on par with iOS so I can use some of those fine hardwares, but, so far, my wish hasn't been granted. I've actually had some time to play with two Galaxy phones recently, one with Android and one with Windows phone 7, and I actually came out preferring the Windows phone 7. GUI is just a mess on Android while Windows phone 7 actually does what it's supposed to do and do it well. Sure, the phone had the touchwiz or whatever it's called but HTC sense wasn't dramatically better. I might even go further as saying that the Windows phone 7 may be as solid as iOS.  

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #120 of 249
My current Ipad 1 serves me well although having the Ipad 2 would be nice. I think that I'll wait until Apple releases an Ipad with higher screen resolution. It is a shame that Apple upgraded a bunch of stuff that were 2nd or 3rd in the list and did not consider other obvious upgrades such as higher screen resolution and usb port (to do away with the camera kit). Memory expansion is not going to happen with Apple. They overcharge with memory and the problem is that people are willing to pay a premium for more memory. The front camera is a good upgrade, but the rear one is an stupid upgrade. The Ipad just looks like an oversized Iphone without the Iphone's functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back