iPad 2 announced on apple.com
Mar 3, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 53
Geez, the iPad 2 can't even be ordered yet, and they are already talking about the iPad 3.  Really makes me want to shell out my hard earned cash.  Think I'll sit tight for iPad 3.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:
Though I'm thinking about buying a 64GB 3G refurb instead (I have a 32GB model) and the extra memory would be more useful to me.

After seeing the rate at which Apple and app devs been deprecating support for older hardware, I'd figure that the extra $100 is well worth it to get the processor updates. Things got a bit ugly for the iPhone 3G after the release of the 3GS and really ugly after the release of iOS 4. In contrast, the original iPhone had and the 3GS continues to have much better software support as their successors didn't introduce much of a spec bump.

Quote:
It's very nice looking, but an SD card slot, USB connection and user-replaceable battery are all essential features imho.

I've gotten off the user-replaceable bandwagon for devices like the iPad. The packaging advantages of not having to encase the battery in a protective plastic shell and provisioning extra space for a battery compartment can allow for a much larger battery in the same volume.

Quote:
Geez, the iPad 2 can't even be ordered yet, and they are already talking about the iPad 3.  Really makes me want to shell out my hard earned cash.  Think I'll sit tight for iPad 3.

Yep, the Apple hype bandwagon is a crazy thing.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 53
marvin.......You made an excellent point about the advantages of not having an encased replaceable battery, thus having more room for a larger battery in the available space.  I really had not thought about it from that point of few before.

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 53

Quote:
It's very nice looking, but an SD card slot, USB connection and user-replaceable battery are all essential features imho.

The camera adaptor takes care of those. The idea was not to add stuff in that makes it thicker. Apple's idea is if you want or need the extra features, you use the appropriate adaptor and the rest is done over wireless, instead of adding more points of failure that people might only use occasionally or never at all.

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #21 of 53

Quote:

That is not the Apple way, and they have great reason why they don't roll this way. User replaceable battery is not only useless but actually just stupid. loading anything big on a SD card makes the iOS/iTunes way too difficult and that is not what Apple is about. connecting any iOS to a computer you already use usb but if you open it up to use anything other then iTunes you already made it too Difficult and pointlessly complicated.

I understand where you come from with your opinion but you seem to miss the entire reason why these iOS devices are as great as they're....just keep it simple stupid because when you add more you are also adding more difficulty for no reason and no point.

the best thing from yesterdays Keynote is the HDMI dongle and full 1080p mirror! From classrooms to boardrooms to living rooms to bedrooms and even hotel rooms. These two features are going to open up the iPad 2 to somany applications and uses one could never think of a end!

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #22 of 53
The new iPad is a step in the right direction, it's pushing the tablet market forward. It's still not enough to pull me away from a laptop though.

The tablet form factor is still in it's emerging state, I'm gonna wait a few years until it gets a chance to really mature.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #23 of 53

Quote:
The new iPad is a step in the right direction, it's pushing the tablet market forward. It's still not enough to pull me away from a laptop though.

The tablet form factor is still in it's emerging state, I'm gonna wait a few years until it gets a chance to really mature.

XxATOLxX.......I agree with you.  I did not purchase the iPad, and I will pass on the iPad2, also.  I believe the iPad will hit its mark when iPad3 hits the streets, probably late September, and just in time for holiday shopping.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #25 of 53
It really doesn't matter when you purchase computer hardware, including th iPad2.  On the way home you will always pass a billboard with the newest one that is replace the one you just bought.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:
That is not the Apple way, and they have great reason why they don't roll this way. User replaceable battery is not only useless but actually just stupid. loading anything big on a SD card makes the iOS/iTunes way too difficult and that is not what Apple is about. connecting any iOS to a computer you already use usb but if you open it up to use anything other then iTunes you already made it too Difficult and pointlessly complicated.

I understand where you come from with your opinion but you seem to miss the entire reason why these iOS devices are as great as they're....just keep it simple stupid because when you add more you are also adding more difficulty for no reason and no point.

Believe me Billy, I fully understand that's not the Apple way. If they allowed you to use SDCards, you wouldn't pay $100-200 to step up to the 32 or 64 GB models. If you bought an iPad and actually wanted to keep it longer than a year or two, a user replaceable battery would be nice, batteries don't last forever :wink: I don't fit the Apple demographic and I probably never will, just voicing my opinion and hoping for a better tablet someday that really knocks netbooks out of the equation. We all already have smartphones, tablets need to have greater functionality imho.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #27 of 53
Hype, hype, hype. Apple is all about hype. I work for a newspaper. How often do you see stories about Intel, IBM, Asus, Dell, Compaq, etc., etc. come across the wires? Never. I know, it is my job to comb the wires. Thanks to great PR, Apple has managed to become the computer equivalent of Kim Kardashian. Everyday there is an Apple story on the wires, not moving on the business or tech wires, mind you, moving on the general news wires. No other company has managed this. I see this everyday from the Associated Press, NYT and McClatchy News Service. Apple alone as a computer manufacturer rides the wires thanks to hype and the public's willingness to buy into hype. There's something  special about Apple in the way there's something special about Charlie Sheen's breakdown. They want more. iPad2? Sure some vaguely promising improvements, but do you see front pages stories about Nokia adding a camera on the front of their latest phone? Hardly. It's all hype, folks, generated to make you spend your money and click ads. Slick merchandising, top notch PR work - that's a large part of Apple's real genius. Sure, I buy Apple products, but even I'm embarassed by the hype. This iPad2 launch was ridiculous. Front page news worthy upgrades? Bawhahahaha.

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #29 of 53
There is absolutely nothing special about the Ipad 2. The features they have now should have been in the first release. So much hype. I think Conan's parody nailed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back