iPad 2 announced on apple.com
Mar 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 53

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing special about the Ipad 2. The features they have now should have been in the first release. So much hype. I think Conan's parody nailed it.

I'm torn between "sweet!" and "right on the spot"
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #32 of 53
Thing is, iPad1 is still a very useful product. It takes time and testing to bring new processors and features to a point where they are ready for the market. The A4 chip is more than enough for today. So much so, that I plan to skip the iPad2 and iPhone5 because what I have meets my needs.

The new products are, of course, very nice. But I'll stick with what I have for another year or two. They work great.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #33 of 53

Quote:
Thing is, iPad1 is still a very useful product. It takes time and testing to bring new processors and features to a point where they are ready for the market. The A4 chip is more than enough for today. So much so, that I plan to skip the iPad2 and iPhone5 because what I have meets my needs.

The new products are, of course, very nice. But I'll stick with what I have for another year or two. They work great.

Uncle Eric.......In my opinion, that is the way to go.  You can drive yourself crazy, and needlessly spend money trying to stay on the leading edge with every new update. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #34 of 53
I'm curious about it but not enough to buy my mother had the Ipad 1. I consider it to be usable as far as products go the 2 can't be leaps and bounds better. Hopefully she won't run out and buy the new 'it' thing like all the others.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #36 of 53
"Minor improvements" is the name of the game when it comes to many companies and products, not just Apple's. Even HTC, Motorola, and Samsung release models that aren't particularly revolutionary compared to their previous incarnations. Speed bump, slightly better camera, OS improvements, etc. are normal across the board. Look at the video game industry, most AA franchises have sequels that are very similar to their predecessors. (Dead Space, Fallout, Killzone, Mario, Zelda, etc) 

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #37 of 53
Indeed.

I'm still interested in the Nook though.

As far as the Ipad I played with it a couple times it is nice I guess we'll just have to see what the Ipad 2 can bring to the table.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #38 of 53

Quote:
the difference between 1 and 2 seems to be just minor details, apple is being greedy... again.

If you read the reviews, nearly all of them state that although on paper there aren't many major chances, once you've actually handled one, that you instantly appreciate how much better it is:

Quote:
People who suggest this is an incremental upgrade are simply not looking at the bigger picture; the Apple iPad 2 feels and acts drastically differently from its predecessor.The plethora of changes - some cosmetic, some under the hood - have boosted a device that felt like a luxury, to a device that is head and shoulders above its competitors at the moment. The lighter, thinner iPad 2 is nicer to hold, nicer to use and nicer to look at - and if that's not an important upgrade then maybe we're missing the point.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/portable-computing/hands-on-ipad-2-review-932451#ixzz1GDsdHHe5

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #41 of 53
No USB? No Flash? $500 for 16 gigs? And a proprietary OS that won't run what I want it to?

I really don't get it. I wouldn't mind something being a tad slow if it fulfilled all requirements of being a laptop. For now it seem like most tablets are either bulked up cell phones or overpriced or, like many, both. 
Mobility and technology don't always meld well. I didn't think having a powerful yet affordable mobile computer would be such bleeding edge technology. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #42 of 53

Quote:
No USB? No Flash? $500 for 16 gigs? And a proprietary OS that won't run what I want it to?

I really don't get it. I wouldn't mind something being a tad slow if it fulfilled all requirements of being a laptop.

Honestly, why would you even look at a tablet if you require a laptop? HP will sell you their very nice DM1z with great portability, good battery life, and adequate performance for $427.99. Less if you wait for a good sale.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #43 of 53
Because I just need something for web browsing and media playing but I also want it to be able to run basic applications if I happen to be traveling. A laptop is far too cumbersome since I do not need a keyboard. There are some upcoming options that suit my criteria but are priced way out of my price range.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #44 of 53
Tablets running desktop OS' have not been known to fare well for obvious reasons, so you're SOL. I say get a second-hand android smartphone/ipad, they shouldn't be too expensive. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #45 of 53
I know, that's what I think is sad. I have Droid and I would really like a tablet to be faster than it. Considering the Droid was $200 I don't see why companies expect me to pay $300+ for a larger screen, a webcam, and a sleek look.

My Droid is not an ideal computing device due to how buggy it sometimes is (rooted). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back