iPad 2 announced on apple.com
Mar 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 53
Decent upgrades. Thinner, lighter, proper zippy dual-core processor, nine times the graphics performance, 1080p HDMI video output... all with the SAME battery life and price tag as the first iPad (with the battery probably making up most of the weight of the thing), FaceTime cameras... and probably a serious software upgrade in iOS 5 come June. Nothing spectacular but then it didn't have to be, they have a product that is selling VERY well and will probably now sell even more, especially given the poor competition so far. Those smart-covers are kinda cool, although the non-leather ones look a bit cheap.

The lack of a higher res screen is a slight bummer, but it's not like your average consumer will notice/care. It's an acceptable res for it's size and the LED IPS display is still higher quality than say, the Xoom's screen.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 53

Quote:
I expected the upgraded retina display for the iPad 2, but apparently that won't be ready for another month or two so it won't get implemented until iPad 3.  Lame.  They should have just held back the release date of the iPad 2 for another two months.

I wouldn't put much stock in those rumors, just like I wouldn't put much stock in Engadget's claim that the retina display and SD card were removed because of "last minute engineering issues". Major design changes like that don't happen a month out from product launch. Plus it reeks of CYA given that Engadget was the major driver behind the retina display rumors in the first place.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 53
I lol'd at their promo video.  The whole "you don't even have to be a musician, you just start tapping away and you're playing music" line really got me.  I mean, I can sit at a piano and start tapping away and I'm playing random notes, but put an ipad 2 in my hands and now I'm playing music!  Truly revolutionary bit of technology.  

I really don't mean to sound like an Apple hater, I'm not, but geez, could you turn down the rhetoric a bit?  People will still queue up weeks in advance to buy your latest gadget without all the hyperbole. Thanks. 

On a different note, I'm totally an idiot for not having already purchased Florence + The Machine's album.  Thank you, Apple, for reminding me of this fact.  

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 53
Quote:
I lol'd at their promo video.  The whole "you don't even have to be a musician, you just start tapping away and you're playing music" line really got me.  I mean, I can sit at a piano and start tapping away and I'm playing random notes, but put an ipad 2 in my hands and now I'm playing music!  Truly revolutionary bit of technology.

You get the post of the month award. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 53
The real story here is that you can get a refurb iPad1 for $350 now. My guess is that a steady stream of those will be available for several months.

Utter death to competing tablets. The Galaxy Tab is $500 without a contract and the Xoom is $800.

Where's the "Apple is too expensive!" chorus?

Like the iPod, Apple is competing hard on price and might corner this market before serious alternatives emerge.

As for the iPad2, it's a nice piece of hardware. But I'm on the fence about upgrading. The original iPad meets my needs and I think it's plenty fast. I might buy the iPad2 since I'd love to pass mine along to relatives. Though I'm thinking about buying a 64GB 3G refurb instead (I have a 32GB model) and the extra memory would be more useful to me.

I think a Retina Display will come in the next generation. From what I've read, no one is able to make millions of screens yet. But it'll come, sooner or later and I will absolutely buy one. The iPhone4's screen has me spoiled.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 53
Well, the camera is one of the two feature I really want. The other is 128 gb memory. I guess I'll wait for ver. 3 or 4 for the 128 gb ver. For now, my 3rd gen iPod touch still fulfill my need. I hope they release the 128 gb iPod touch next fall. I love the white iPad. I hope they implement it across the board, especially to MBP line up. I hate current unibody MBP color scheme which make me delaying my macbook upgrade.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 53
I'll step up and buy one if it will make a decent streaming music server.
Something on par with flac, not MP3 or whatever the low end stuff is for apple.
They got an app for that, right? iTunes? With an accessory dongle maybe?
Something tells me nope, not yet....

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 53
Airtunes always streamed ALAC lossless from what I remember.  I just hope the iPad 2 can send out better than 24/48 over USB this time.

I've waited patiently for the update now, so one of these will replace (with any luck): My music player, email client, half my education tools for class, car navigation, XBox 360 and wife's computer. To do that with separate components would cost in the order of 4x its price.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 53
Airtunes is used with, say, an Airport Express which has optical digital output.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 53
Yeah, people have been using AirPort expresses as part of a digital server for ages. I'm only doing Mac (w/Drobo or some such connected) > toslink optical to DAC > active monitors, but if I get a decent home theater set up, I'd add an Airport Express and then if I wanted less of a nearfield experience I could just sent it from the Mac to that, into the DAC, receiver and floorstanders in stereo mode. One of the cool things about Macs as well is your lossless is output bit-perfect unless you add EQ effects in iTunes. So even with an iPad, when your ALAC files are sent to the AE, it doesn't tamper with them and just outputs them to your DAC bit-for-bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back