ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Nov 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #226 of 532
  Right now, the safe choice if Apple's Lightining-to-USB Camera adapter shown here, combined with whatever USB cable is needed to connect to your DAC of choice.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Also, Apple updates their iOS periodically, and this mode of operation is undocumented and otherwise unsupported on iOS 7.  Future iOS updates might break the capability, and I myself have only checked performance on iOS 7.0.2 for my chosen DAC.  To be safe, you can turn off Automatic Downloads on Updates on your iPhone 5s under Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> Automatic Downloads.   Then check to see whether someone with the iOS version you want has tested compatibility, or if you want to be totally sure, go to an Apple Store and check yourself (I've done this before at a local Apple Store, hooking up my own DAC to an iPhone there, and they were totally fine with it), and update if you get the compatibility you need.  

Thanks, Jazzman!   

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #228 of 532
It's gonna take me a few weeks to get the cable shipped out to me to this part of the world, but yeah, will post an update on this thread once I get it up and running. 

Cheers!

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #229 of 532
Hi guys.

I'm very confused with iOS device DoP output.

I've purchased the full version of Onkyo HF Player so that I can play Hi-res audio including DSD files now.

Everyone says that in order to output the 24bit/192KHz PCM or DSD to a external DAC, a CCK is required. 

But I noticed that almost (I'm not sure about this) every one of the DACs you were mentioned above, was not a iOS compatible device (the Herus for exaple), so these DACs could not receive any kind of digital audio format from iOS devices by simply using the 30pin to USB or Lightning to USB cable.  

Now I've owned a Sony PHA-2, which is compatible with iOS Device digital audio output through 30pin to USB and Lightning to USB cable. PHA-2 can decode the so called Hi-Res audio which up to 192KHz/24bit and DSD stream. 

I set Onkyo HF Player and PHA-2 like this:

y_PHA-2_008.jpg

iPod Touch is connected to USB-A shape digital-in jack, which is claimed to be used by Apple devices.

QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720131103222510.jpg

QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720131103222601.jpg

DSD files can be recognized by app and output through PHA-2, but I noticed that the description of HF Player on App Store said :
When playing back DoP, the equalizer and cross fade will be disabled. Also the frequency response will not be displayed

On my device, when the DoP playback has been enabled, the cross fade will be bypassed, and the volume can not be adjust in the app, but the equalizer and frequency response are still can be enabled and become effective.

Is this means the Lightning to USB dock cannot output DoP correctly? Or PHA-2 cannot decode DSD through iOS device USB input jack? Or in fact the DoP output works fine? Since PHA-2 has no any indicator to show the state of the inputting format. 

If DoP cannot simply work with normal Lightning to USB cable, will CCK work with iPod Touch Gen5 and PHA-2? (iPod Touch>CCK>USB-A to microUSB cable>PHA-2 PC USB jack)

BTW, driver is required to be installed under Windows OS so that PHA-2 can use ASIO and Kernel Stream to transfer DSD bit-stream. No driver is required under MacOS, because the only way to output DSD format audio under MacOS is DoP, not the native DSD bit-stream.

Thanks!!

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #231 of 532
  First of all, there are three requirements that must be met:

- Devices capable of running iOS version 7.0.x except for the original iPhone 4 (such as your iPod Touch 5G)

- Micro USB cable (NOT OTG cable)

- Lightning to USB Camera Adapter as linked below

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Now we could check this out first (just totally that ignore iPhone/iPad/iPod part for now, that's none of our business here)

zAnFnTT.jpg

http://www.sony.jp/products/picture/y_PHA-2_008.jpg

The one in the middle is only for MFi connections (iPod/iPhone/iPad) without CCK (or Lightning to USB Camera Adapter) at all and that's no go for DSD at least for now.

According to this article, CCK is mandatory for DoP for sure

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20131024_620776.html

Here's something we should focus on:

Right now you could simply treat your iPod Touch 5G with iOS 7.0.x (6.x won't be any good for CCK / USB to Camera so definitely no good for DoP for sure) as PC and connect that Micro USB connector to PHA-2 first, then connect the other end to the female USB connector of Lightning to USB Camera Adapter afterwards. Obviously the Lightning connector will go into the bottom of your iPod Touch 5G so that's a given.

Finally let's hope that PHA-2 will be able to accept DoP coming from your iPod Touch 5G and decode each DSD with PCM1795 successfully. Otherwise, you could contact Onkyo via e-mail and told them what the deal is

https://www.facebook.com/OnkyoUSA/info

Thanks, maybe I should go to Apple Store and try with a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter first.

I'll update the result after giving it a try.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #232 of 532
I've got an iBasso D12 incoming sometime this week.  I'll test it out with my rig (iPhone 5 w/ iOS 7.0.3) and let everyone know how it goes.  I'd imagine the results will hold true with any iBasso product.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #233 of 532
I used to be able to use a lightning CCK (generic) to power my HeadRoom Ultra Desktop DAC, but since iOS7, I can't seem to get the iPad to output to it. Does anyone know a workaround? In iOS 6 it was plug and play, even though it would complain with a dialog. Thanks!

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #234 of 532
I used to be able to use a lightning CCK (generic) to power my HeadRoom Ultra Desktop DAC, but since iOS7, I can't seem to get the iPad to output to it. Does anyone know a workaround? In iOS 6 it was plug and play, even though it would complain with a dialog. Thanks!

They might know better on the iPad+DAC thread here.  Your problem strikes me as odd, though, as the iOS 7 upgrade brought compatibility with most external dacs via the CCK.  Maybe your issue lies in the fact that you're using a generic one?  Perhaps the Apple CCK would restore functionality (but I'm just guessing, here.)

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #236 of 532
That new block in iOS7 seems to have also blocked some of apple's own lightning to USB cables.  You get an error message "This cable is not certified and may not ..." and cable won't work for charging for example.   Annoying!!!!! 

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #238 of 532
Well, guys, I got my iBasso D12 today, and it works great!  Granted, you have to run it through the CCK and a hub to avoid the "too much power" buzzkill, but I think I've found a way around all that cumbersome stuff.  I managed to find a tiny aluminum project box on Amazon, and I crammed a CCK, tiny unpowered Belkin hub, and 3 feet of mini-USB cable in there.  I drilled some holes (and stuck some grommets in) and voilá!  Now it's all contained in a tiny package without any errant cables.  As for the D12, it's a perfectly simple affair.  Plug it in and go.  No weird volume problems like the Fiio E17, and it sounds terrific with my Mad dogs.

Here's a look inside the box.  I wanted to find a shorter cable, but I also needed it to be a left-hand right-angle mini-USB cable.  Not the easiest thing in the world to get ahold of, and 3' seemed to be the shortest anyone makes.  It looks a mess, but it works great.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #239 of 532
  That new block in iOS7 seems to have also blocked some of apple's own lightning to USB cables.  You get an error message "This cable is not certified and may not ..." and cable won't work for charging for example.   Annoying!!!!! 

Has anyone here actually had this message with an Apple cable?  Or is this internet info?

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #240 of 532
I've had this message pop up a few times with Apple cables, but I find that more often than not it's what's plugged into the other end of the cable that can cause issues.  For example, I have a 30-pin to lightning adapter that I use in the car.  Plugged into the 30-pin end of that adapter is a Kensington LiquidAux cable and charger. Sometimes I'll get the message "This cable accessory is not certified and may not work with this iPhone" but it's very rare.  Like two times in a year rare.

Now, 3rd party cables, on the other hand, ever since iOS 7 was released, I always get that message.  My brother-in-law has a webstore where they sell wooden iPhone cases and cables, and he imports LOTS of third party lightning cables.  They all kick back this message, no matter what they're plugged into.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back