ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Oct 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #196 of 532
Oct 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #200 of 532
Oct 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #202 of 532
  Just a quick question, could the following micro USB adapter plus another "special" USB OTG adapter work just like CCK?

[...]

Someone raised the question earlier about using the Lightning-Micro USB adaptor in lieu of the Lightning 'CCK,' and the understanding seems to be that the Micro USB adaptor is merely for power purposes, and does not contain the USB Host circuitry that the CCK adaptors do.

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #203 of 532
Someone raised the question earlier about using the Lightning-Micro USB adaptor in lieu of the Lightning 'CCK,' and the understanding seems to be that the Micro USB adaptor is merely for power purposes, and does not contain the USB Host circuitry that the CCK adaptors do.

Correct - that was me that mentioned the CCK includes the circuitry to complete the USB host interface. The microUSB adapters do not contain this circuitry.

Dale

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #205 of 532
As in its missing something in particular? Or can some re-wiring be done akin to modding usb to otg?

The Apple microUSB to Lightning adapter does not contain the chip (integrated circuit) that exists inside the CCK adapter. This chip is something specific to Apple and is necessary to implement a full USB host interface. The standard USB connectivity on an iPhone is not a full USB connection. It would not be easy, if at all possible, to make an adapter that uses the Apple microUSB to Lightning connector to implement the full USB host interface. It's definitely not as simple as 'some re-wiring'.

I suspect down the road we'll see some 3rd party CCK replacements that have the required circuitry in them to implement the full USB host interface, but for now the Apple CCKs are the only way possible.

Dale

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #206 of 532
I suspect down the road we'll see some 3rd party CCK replacements that have the required circuitry in them to implement the full USB host interface, but for now the Apple CCKs are the only way possible.

Dale
I just got myself a 3rd party lightning camera usb adaptor from the bay. I've yet to try it out but I guess from your statement, I won't be able to use it :frowning2: will report any miracles soon...

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #207 of 532
I just got myself a 3rd party lightning camera usb adaptor from the bay. I've yet to try it out but I guess from your statement, I won't be able to use it
frown.gif
will report any miracles soon...

Not knowing Singapore and 'the bay', I have no idea whether it will work or not. Is 'the bay' an electronics marketplace or a store that sells electronics/iPhone/smartphone accessories? That said, I'm as hopeful as the next person that it does. The sooner we have 3rd party devices that work means it'll be easier to mod and create some nice compact and portable designs.

Dale

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #208 of 532
Not knowing Singapore and 'the bay', I have no idea whether it will work or not. Is 'the bay' an electronics marketplace or a store that sells electronics/iPhone/smartphone accessories? That said, I'm as hopeful as the next person that it does. The sooner we have 3rd party devices that work means it'll be easier to mod and create some nice compact and portable designs.

Dale
eBay haha, your description wasn't far off either :) bought it from a seller in china, couple of bucks. Works fine to transfer photos from external storage to ipad (as supposed to), somewhat excited of e prospect of using it to work Glacier with iphone, fingers crossed

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #209 of 532
AHHHH... I got lost in this thread.    I bought the  NON iDevice version of the Centrance M8 LX.

Could someone be kind enough to summarize for me exactly what do I need to use let's say an ipad Mini/iOS7 with a USB DAC/AMP like the NON iDevice version of the Centrance M8 ? 

- Is there an elegant (short) version of the connection solution  (not: long cable + hub + adapter + another cable.....) ? 

- Will the KERO by itself  work ? without any extra adapter ? or what else Will I need to add to the Kero ? 

- Will this solution allow the M8 to play, WITHOUT Downsampling,  24/96 files ? 

thanks in advance.

Bertrand

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #210 of 532
AHHHH... I got lost in this thread.    I bought the  NON iDevice version of the Centrance M8 LX.

Could someone be kind enough to summarize for me exactly what do I need to use let's say an ipad Mini/iOS7 with a USB DAC/AMP like the NON iDevice version of the Centrance M8 ? 

- Is there an elegant (short) version of the connection solution  (not: long cable + hub + adapter + another cable.....) ? 

- Will the KERO by itself  work ? without any extra adapter ? or what else Will I need to add to the Kero ? 

- Will this solution allow the M8 to play, WITHOUT Downsampling,  24/96 files ? 

thanks in advance.

Bertrand

I have no direct experience with the Centrance M8, but my understanding is that it is possible to use the LX version with an iOS device - iPad with iOS v6 or higher or iPhone with iOS v7 or higher. As for the cabling, i'm almost certain that you'll need the CCK, a small USB hub (probably passive, but maybe powered) and the USB cable to connect your M8 to the hub.

iDevice -> CCK -> USB hub -> M8

The Kero cable will NOT work by itself. And yes, you'll be able to play 24/96 files without downsampling by either streaming them from your computer or by using an app like the Onkyo one above that supports direct playback of hi-res audio files that you've loaded to your iDevice.

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back