ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #182 of 532
It has to otherwise the microstreamer or any other DAC wouldn't work.  Those devices don't take analog audio as an input via the USB connection nor does that connection support analog audio.

Thanks for that, I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure if the lightning connection worked in the same was as the old 30pin LOD. Didn't want to spend my money and then find out it didn't do what I wanted lol.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #183 of 532
Thought I'd share my set up to show how to minimise clutter and wiring.

That's an iphone5 --> CCK --> USB to Mini USB adapter --> Microstreamer --> Momentums  

I've velcroed the Microstreamer to the iphone to make an effective portable solution 
bigsmile_face.gif

I like how the lightning CCK has a little bit of length as opposed to going straight out of the phone.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #184 of 532
So far I've heard some conflicting things on this thread and hopefully someone can clear it up for me.

Regarding iOS 7 and the Fiio E07K / E17:

Has anyone seen success with the following setup:  iPhone 5 (iOS 7) > lightning CCK > Fiio E17 (or E07K)?

Specifically I'm wondering if it displays the low power warning, and if it can be circumvented by turning off USB charging on the Fiio unit.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #185 of 532
  So far I've heard some conflicting things on this thread and hopefully someone can clear it up for me.

Regarding iOS 7 and the Fiio E07K / E17:

Has anyone seen success with the following setup:  iPhone 5 (iOS 7) > lightning CCK > Fiio E17 (or E07K)?

Specifically I'm wondering if it displays the low power warning, and if it can be circumvented by turning off USB charging on the Fiio unit.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

What follows applies only to the FiiO E17.

If I connect iPhone 5c (iOS 7) > lightning CCK > USB cable > Fiio E17, I get the "too much power" message.  This is with the USB CHG OFF setting on the E17.  Sound plays through the iPhone's speaker.  

If I connect iPhone 5c  (iOS 7) > lightning CCK > specific el-cheapo USB hub I have > USB cable > Fiio E17, I do not get the message.  Sound plays through the E17.

The hub I have is somehow hiding something about the E17 from the iPhone.  It is acting like a powered hub in this way.  The hub is something I got from Fry's years (perhaps a decade?) ago, so I don't think it is easily found.  But others have reported specific hubs that do something similar.

All of this behavior is identical to what I have seen on iPads on iOS 6 and earlier, and for either the 30-pin or Lightning CCKs where appropriate.  

Not sure about the E07K as I do not own one, but I believe the E07K does not require a hub to work with an iPad.  

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #186 of 532
  What follows applies only to the FiiO E17.

If I connect iPhone 5c (iOS 7) > lightning CCK > USB cable > Fiio E17, I get the "too much power" message.  This is with the USB CHG OFF setting on the E17.  Sound plays through the iPhone's speaker.  

If I connect iPhone 5c  (iOS 7) > lightning CCK > specific el-cheapo USB hub I have > USB cable > Fiio E17, I do not get the message.  Sound plays through the E17.

The hub I have is somehow hiding something about the E17 from the iPhone.  It is acting like a powered hub in this way.  The hub is something I got from Fry's years (perhaps a decade?) ago, so I don't think it is easily found.  But others have reported specific hubs that do something similar.

All of this behavior is identical to what I have seen on iPads on iOS 6 and earlier, and for either the 30-pin or Lightning CCKs where appropriate.  

Not sure about the E07K as I do not own one, but I believe the E07K does not require a hub to work with an iPad.  

Excellent!  This is exactly the information I was looking for.  Thank you for being so specific.  I now wonder if the E07K behaves the same way? If a USB hub isn't needed between the two, it might be just the ticket.  Can anyone speak to experience with the E07K and an iPhone 5?

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #187 of 532
  Thought I'd share my set up to show how to minimise clutter and wiring.

That's an iphone5 --> CCK --> USB to Mini USB adapter --> Microstreamer --> Momentums  

I've velcroed the Microstreamer to the iphone to make an effective portable solution 
bigsmile_face.gif

I like how the lightning CCK has a little bit of length as opposed to going straight out of the phone.

Cool setup!  Good use of the USB A to mini adapter. 

I'm also thinking of designing a 3D printed plastic housing that would "swallow" both the large end of the Lightning CCK and the microStreamer, and a specific cable or adapter in-between.  My main goal is to make something flat and wide as opposed to short and thick (my first setup) or long and thin (your setup).   

With a bit more fiddling, I've played with the rubber banding and got something which is closer to what I want.  If I put this in a small felt bag, I'm almost all the way there.  I'll upload a picture at some point.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #188 of 532
So here's an updated orientation, which I'll call "sidecar".  The headphones are VSonic GR-07 Bass Edition with Comply Tx-400 foam tips. 

Some photo size comparisons between
1) iPhone 5c with CCK and the HRT microStreamer and
2) iPod Touch 3rd gen with the Centrance HiFi-M8

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #190 of 532
Yep still working in 7.0.3

Cool setup!  Good use of the USB A to mini adapter. 

I'm also thinking of designing a 3D printed plastic housing that would "swallow" both the large end of the Lightning CCK and the microStreamer, and a specific cable or adapter in-between.  My main goal is to make something flat and wide as opposed to short and thick (my first setup) or long and thin (your setup).   

With a bit more fiddling, I've played with the rubber banding and got something which is closer to what I want.  If I put this in a small felt bag, I'm almost all the way there.  I'll upload a picture at some point.

I dabbled with a short usb cable similar to your setup as well but I preferred the adaptor because it was a lot easier to remove and use the Microstreamer with my laptop (basically keeping things looking clean).

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #192 of 532
Sorry to ask a stupid question but I just want to make TOTALLY sure before I spend the $.
I can use my iPhone 5 (not an S or C, plain old iPhone 5) with the HRT microstreamer as long as I have a Lightning CCK and USB to mini-USB adapter?

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #193 of 532
Sorry to ask a stupid question but I just want to make TOTALLY sure before I spend the $.
I can use my iPhone 5 (not an S or C, plain old iPhone 5) with the HRT microstreamer as long as I have a Lightning CCK and USB to mini-USB adapter?

Yep that's what I'm using atm - a normal usb to mini USB cable works too obviously (adapter isn't necessary)

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #194 of 532
I find it disconcerting that now, we would have that tinge of panic with every update. And interestingly strange that Apple wouldn't make a clear definitive statement on opening access to the digital stream

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #195 of 532
Well I've confirmed the OE Apple LOD (A1353, IP4/S) does not work with the CCK.  Nothing happens when you plug the CCK into the dock.  Music keeps playing on speakers or via line-out/headphone.  Inserting the CCK while music is playing doesn't work either.

However, for desktop use I think I've found a solution.  Dummy docks with a 30pin extension cable.  All of them seem to be made of wood and are relatively cheap.  You can find them in 30pin and lightning flavors.

There's also this over engineered thing: http://www.grovemade.com/product/dock-for-iphone/#dock-for-iphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back