ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Oct 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #151 of 532
The "low power" message can sometimes be avoided with some connection trickery.  For me, it tends to be avoided by plugging in the headphone into the jack of the DAC, start playback of the audio on the iDevice, then plugging in the CCK, in that order.  This is with the HRT microStreamer which is batteryless.  I think all of this is to avoid a power glitch that sets off the message.  Your DAC's behavior might be different.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #153 of 532
Will any powered hub work with the CCK or do I need a special kind?

I think any one should work. I purchased a cheap Belkin one and it has been working fine. I use mine powered but some people have posted that it will work to avoid the "low power" reading even if you don't connect power to the powered hub. I don't know if it will work with an unpowered hub however.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #156 of 532
  […]

UPDATE: Although this does work, I think a powered USB hub will be better, as the 'low power' msg does flash on periodically. btw, tried this same set up with my ipad 2, iOS6, works, but get the 'low power' msg as well.

UPDATE 2: Sure enough, plugged in a D-Link AC Powered USB hub, model DUB-H7, and everything played well together.  Now to find a small-ish portable self-powered USB hub.

thoughts? thanks.

FWIW, I've yet to see the message with a Modi into an iPhone 5 using the Lightning 'CCK,' and I've been using it pretty regularly since I last posted that the combination was working. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #158 of 532
Just picked up a 30pin CCK for my IP4.  Pretty fun.  This is working for me:

IP4 > CCK > Belkin powered hub > MUSE PCM2704 > SPDIF > Tascam DA-P1 DAT deck (as a DA)

Sounds pretty good although I don't have the greatest gear yet.

The Tascam DA-P1 might be a pretty nice DA.  Plus its fun to have VU meters on it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #160 of 532
It works. Sorry for these crappy photos.
Iphone 5s + CCK + powered hub + meridian explorer + earphone/headphone

Oops here it is iPhone 4S both iphone running latest iOS 7.02. It is transportable.

Cheers

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #161 of 532
It works. Sorry for these crappy photos.
Iphone 5s + CCK + powered hub + meridian explorer + earphone/headphone

Oops here it is iPhone 4S both iphone running latest iOS 7.02.

It is good to be precise with the setup.  Having said that, I've checked both a 4 and a 5c both running iOS 7 and with their respective "CCKs" on two different DACS (microStreamer and HiFi-M8). I think one can be pretty confident that if a 30-pin iDevice setup works, the Lightning iDevice setup should work and vice versa.  

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #162 of 532
It is good to be precise with the setup.  Having said that, I've checked both a 4 and a 5c both running iOS 7 and with their respective "CCKs" on two different DACS (microStreamer and HiFi-M8). I think one can be pretty confident that if a 30-pin iDevice setup works, the Lightning iDevice setup should work and vice versa.  

Yes, the key in my setup is the powered hub. I have tried without the powered hub and it didn't work. I wish that I have found ways to clean up these cables, they are long and messy. But they are transportable. I haven't tried the lightning to USB camera adapter for the iphone 5s without the 30 pin CCK.

My setup also works with iPad2 and iPad mini.

Cheers

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #164 of 532
What would be great for transport is an integrated hub and battery pack the size of an iphone.  Hell, might as well build the DAC and amp into it too.

+1......:D OR integrated hub and battery pack the size of Audioquest dragonfly with 30 hrs running time, it will cover intercontinental flights....where are these nano technology implementations? Those engineers need to work harder.....:D

Cheers

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #165 of 532
  What would be great for transport is an integrated hub and battery pack the size of an iphone.  Hell, might as well build the DAC and amp into it too.

I think Venturecraft Go-Dap Unit 4.0 was designed for that intention.
http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/gd04.php

Too bad it doesn't support hi-res digital output, but it'll be interesting if they make something similar for the 5/5s/5c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back