ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
May 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #421 of 532

It may only be an issue with the E17, but a charging option may or may not fix your problem.  The E17 won't work without the hub no matter if I have usb charging set to on or off.

I'm unsure if this was discussed before but is the purpose of the passive USB hub just to cut off the need of a electrical current from the iPhone? Or is it also software that's preventing the E17 from working with a CCK. By your current success I assume the E17 is perfectly capable of powering it's own DAC.

May 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #422 of 532
Yes the E17 can certainly power itself.

The purpose of the hub is to hide the E17 from the iPhone. The iPhone checks what has been connected to it during the handshake phase and if it sees an E17 it will think "I can't power that!". If it sees a USB hub it generally won't complain.

May 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #423 of 532
Yes the E17 can certainly power itself.

The purpose of the hub is to hide the E17 from the iPhone. The iPhone checks what has been connected to it during the handshake phase and if it sees an E17 it will think "I can't power that!". If it sees a USB hub it generally won't complain.

Hmm… turns out the iPhone is a sissy after all.

May 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #424 of 532
Hey,

Just wanted to let you know that I've got IOS7 communicating with the Halide Bridge using the USB hub trick. I made an adapter from a hub to slim down the profile and the Halide is feeding a UM PP6. It is... perfect. 

May 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #425 of 532
Posted these on a couple of other threads:

The cable I'm using is something I found around the house (luckily) as my DAC is powered by USB but now powered by power bank and data from iPhone.

I believe it's called a "dual power USB cable." I tried it with my Fiio E10 but even with the spare power (power bank outputs 5V/2.1A while normal USB port outputs 5V/0.5A) my iPhone says the E10 is still draining too much power. I concur. It's definitely a firmware problem for the Fiios as my DACport LX, when attached to CCK and normal USB cable, causes no pop-ups in the iPhone. The light that signifies LX to be working would be blinking. This is again to say battery powered DAC/amps that don't work with iDevices need a firmware update.

May 14, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #426 of 532
Haven't been on this thread for a couple of months -- but funnily enough, I missed out on the news of the HRT microStreamer and iOS 7.1.  I had stuttering with hi-res files under 7.0.X with the connection

iPhone 5 -> Lightning CCK -> microStreamer DAC

but now with 7.1.1 it works just fine.  It seems that Apple is fixing things under the hood with regard to hi-res audio.  

Something tells me with the Beats purchase rumors and these subtle changes to iOS 7 behavior that we're going to get native hi-res support in the Music app on iOS.  In my mind, that is really the last step that needs to happen.  Going to a secondary app to play music when there's the Music app already there is kind of silly.

May 23, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #428 of 532
Sorry just a question. Will this work:

iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1.1) -> Apple Lightning to USB CCK -> USB to Mini USB cable -> FiiO E07k Andes (USB Charging off) -> Headphones

Will this work or there MUST be a powered hub in the middle? Or will it not work at all?

May 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #430 of 532
Yes works as described.  It may take a try or two to get the iphone to recognize the E07.  Definitely works without powered hub.

Thank you for clarifying. I will be getting my CCK and E07k next week. So hopefully it works without a hitch!

Many thanks again!

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #432 of 532
You guys with the HRT Microstreamers and the Lightning port iPhones, is volume controlled on the iPhone?

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #434 of 532

Yep! From my experience, it doesn't get as loud as when connected to a desktop - It may be the limited power it gets from the iPhone.

Good info ~ Thanks so much for the reply.

Is this behavior standard for CCK?
Is the iPhone just controlling the volume of the amp in the Microstreamer or is there actual attenuating going on on the level of the line out?
My apologies as I don't have anything compatible to test with here so I appreciate the info greatly.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #435 of 532
Is this behavior standard for CCK?
Is the iPhone just controlling the volume of the amp in the Microstreamer or is there actual attenuating going on on the level of the line out?

I believe it's just the iPhone controlling the amp of the Microstreamer. So I guess the iPhone sends a signal (digitally) to the Microstreamer which then digitally attenuates the output to the headphones

I've used a Leckerton Uha-6a Mkii with my iPhone (which works great btw) and the iPhone does nothing in terms of volume and so it seems the iPhone is just sending a direct digital signal to the usb input of the Leckerton. The volume is controlled by the analog knob on the Leckerton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back