ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Apr 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #407 of 532

240gb iPod, Algorhythm Solo, coax into Hugo, Alpha Dogs...

I just saw this set-up.   Could someone explain me what is the advantage of using an Algorhythm Solo instead of just a CCK between the iPod and a DAC ?  

don't it make things more complicated ? does it improve SQ a lot ?

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #409 of 532
Apr 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #410 of 532
Finally!just bought the Apple cck and it works great with my mdac playing 24/96 which the the mdac max,s out at over usb,the thing is why does the Onkyo HF player upsample the 16/44 bit tracks to 24/88 and what difference will this make to SQ?
Ive also had it hooked up to a fiio e7 and it works a treat with usb charge on or off!
Connected to the Stoner Acoustics UD110v2 DAC it needs a unpowered hub and distorts pretty bad.
I have a iFi Nano iDSD DAC on order which will be my main DAC on the go with my android and iphone.
gs1000.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #411 of 532
With the new iPhone/iPAD is there still a "SQ" advantage to use Algorhythm Solo instead of just a CCK to connect the iDEVICE to an external DAC ?

This is one more "brick" to carry !  so... why do people still buy the Algorhythm Solo ? Is the sound better ?

thanks

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #412 of 532
I use an Algorhythm -R with my iPod Classic, but i use it as a DAC to feed a Conti V3.   Love that combo - very dynamic, with excellent transient response.   

However, I wouldnt use an Algorhythm as a data converter just to feed another DAC.   I doubt if that difference in audio quality would be any kind of meaningful, atleast to me.

May 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #415 of 532
Here is my iPhone 5 running through my FiiO E17 amping my CK10s. I'm using the smallest passive USB hub I could find but so far no "too much power" errors. So much better than the line out + dock adapter I was using before.

May 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #417 of 532
  Hi,
I couldn't tell from the photo....: what usb hub are you using?

Thanks!

This one from Amazon, works great so far, though listening through the CCK does seem to drain my battery rather quickly and I'm not sure why.  I'll have to experiment more.

May 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #419 of 532

And another Fiio/Apple collaboration with the Stoner Acoustic UD110
The last time i connected the stoner it required a usb hub not now,i think the recent update worked for the better!
  DSD converted to PCM from the Onkyo player using the DAC of the FIIO X3.
Hopefully I wont have to use the usb hub if and when Fiio implement a charging option in there next firmware.
The SQ is a big step up from the Fiio E7!!

May 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #420 of 532
  Hopefully I wont have to use the usb hub if and when Fiio implement a charging option in there next firmware.

It may only be an issue with the E17, but a charging option may or may not fix your problem.  The E17 won't work without the hub no matter if I have usb charging set to on or off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back