ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Feb 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #346 of 532
I'm using a NuForce iDo DAC for my iPod/iPhone 4 audio solution which has amazing quality and sound.  Also responds to the apple remote so you can change tracks with the remote, etc.  However, the issue was how to mount the unit in an upright manner while allowing charging to be done.  Solution to follow.....................I run the 30 pin into the back of this and not only is the audio fed it is charged as well.  Yes, the iDo cable direct into the bottom of the iPod/iPhone charges as it plays as well but then it's just laying around.  I wanted a solution to mount the iPod/iPhone.  This is slick...........

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Charging-Cradle-iPhone-output/dp/B004LSN0GS/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392240575&sr=1-20&keywords=ipod+charger+stand

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #347 of 532

This is pretty helpful. Thanks for posting. Have you successfully used a USB with this yet? I am thinking it may work for:
iphone 4S > DockStubz+> CCK> USB to USB mini > Sony PHA-2

When I use my iPhone 4S (with the Onkyo player) > CCK > USB to USB mini > Sony PHA-2 I do NOT get a lot of batter life from the iphone. Maybe an hour. This is with Wifi turned off and in airplane mode, etc. 

I changed my battery on the phone as well (thinking that it was old)... this did not do the trick. The Onkyo player takes a ton of battery to use (from what I figure).

Unfortunately I haven't actually picked one up yet.  Got distracted by shiny things (more headphones), but I will be picking up one in the very near future.  When I do, I will definitely post whether or not this works as a solution.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #348 of 532
  Unfortunately I haven't actually picked one up yet.  Got distracted by shiny things (more headphones), but I will be picking up one in the very near future.  When I do, I will definitely post whether or not this works as a solution.

I got mine this morning. 

Goal:
Use the iphone4S to play HiRes files (like DSD, etc.) via bypassing the onboard DAC with the CCK. As the PHA-2 can decode DSD files, etc... and is an amp, this should solve this problem.

Original Setup:
iphone 4S (Running Onkyo HF Player) > Apple CCK > USB-to-USB mini > Sony PHA-2 (DAC and AMP)

Problem With Original Setup:
1) The iPhone 4S randomly recognizes that the CCK is connected.
  a) in the case when the phone does recognize that the CCK is connected (and the Sony is not powered on), the iPhone displays the dreaded "device requires too much power". This is why I have the Sony power on when I first connect the iPhone.
  b) However by having the Sony powered on there is no consistent method to make the iPhone recognize the CCK
2) When the CCK does work and does pass HiRes signal to the Sony PHA-2 a bunch of power is drained from the iphone (draining the battery very quickly)

Hypothesis on how to Solve:
Use the dockStubz+ between the iPhone and the CCK. Providing power to the iPhone via the dockStubz+ will allow the phone to stay charged while passing signal to the CCK.
- - - - - - - 
New Setup:
iphone 4S (Running Onkyo HF Player) > CableJive dockStubz+ (with miniUSB connected and drawing power) > Apple CCK > USB-to-USB mini > Sony PHA-2 (DAC and AMP)

Results:
No dice for powering the iPhone while using the CCK.

When power is connected to the dockStubz+ there is not a "too much power" message
- However signal is not passed through the CCK to the PHA-2
When power is not connected to the dockStubz+ 
- Signal is passed to the PHA-2.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #349 of 532
  I got mine this morning. 

Goal:
Use the iphone4S to play HiRes files (like DSD, etc.) via bypassing the onboard DAC with the CCK. As the PHA-2 can decode DSD files, etc... and is an amp, this should solve this problem.

Original Setup:
iphone 4S (Running Onkyo HF Player) > Apple CCK > USB-to-USB mini > Sony PHA-2 (DAC and AMP)

a) in the case when the phone does recognize that the CCK is connected (and the Sony is not powered on), the iPhone displays the dreaded "device requires too much power". This is why I have the Sony power on when I first connect the iPhone.
  b) However by having the Sony powered on there is no consistent method to make the iPhone recognize the CCK
2) When the CCK does work and does pass HiRes signal to the Sony PHA-2 a bunch of power is drained from the iphone (draining the battery very quickly)

Use the dockStubz+ between the iPhone and the CCK. Providing power to the iPhone via the dockStubz+ will allow the phone to stay charged while passing signal to the CCK.
- - - - - - - 
New Setup:
iphone 4S (Running Onkyo HF Player) > CableJive dockStubz+ (with miniUSB connected and drawing power) > Apple CCK > USB-to-USB mini > Sony PHA-2 (DAC and AMP)

Results:

When power is connected to the dockStubz+ there is not a "too much power" message

As a followup: I did try to use the dockStubz+ with a 30 pin to mini-jack. This does work and passes signal when powered. So if you don't care about passing signal via the CCK this is a good application for the dockStubz+.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #351 of 532
Does anyone know if this portable DAC:

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=123

will work with IPhone 4S / CCK ,without a hub (powered or otherwise)?

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #352 of 532
I use a small powered hub between the 4S with CCK and my Aune T1 DAC/amp. You shouldn't need a hub because the Aune doesn't draw power from the USB but it gives the "low power" reading without the hub. With the hub it works fine.

I got mine this morning. 

Goal:

Original Setup:

- - - - - - - 
New Setup:

Results:

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #353 of 532
looking for a way to get the HRT microstreamer running on an iphone 5s 7.04 ios. would the dac work with the lightning to USB camera adaptor? I would like a short solution for listening with the DAC on the go, somthing like the Apple lightning nomad cable. This has been done to death, though I have lost track of the posts using the 5s with the HRT microstreamer.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #354 of 532
  looking for a way to get the HRT microstreamer running on an iphone 5s 7.04 ios. would the dac work with the lightning to USB camera adaptor? I would like a short solution for listening with the DAC on the go, somthing like the Apple lightning nomad cable. This has been done to death, though I have lost track of the posts using the 5s with the HRT microstreamer.

should work just fine with the Apple CCK cable and a short usb to mini usb cable.  Assuming the nomad cable you refer to is Apple certified then attaching that to a short mini usb would be the same.  Startech makes a nice short one.

FYI see my iem review in my signature for a pic of the hrt microstreamer and an ipod with a slightly longer monoprice cable and the Apple cck.  Folds all up nicely in your pocket.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #356 of 532
do let us know if it breaks anything 
beyersmile.png

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #360 of 532

Users who are viewing this thread

Back