Introduction and Buying First Good Headphones
Jul 12, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #31 of 49
^ I'd second the MS-1 over AD700 recommendation.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #32 of 49
If you're not interested in portability, the Maverick D1 will power anything from IEMs to 600ohm Beyers just fine.  It's not world class or anything, but it won't leave wondering why your expensive headphones sound like crap.  I like that its tweakable, with tube rolling (if you use the pre outs) and the socketed opamps.  I don't know how it compairs to the others you mentioned though.

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with Maverick Audio in any way, shape, or form.  I've been using the handle for close to decade now.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #33 of 49

Quote:
If you're not interested in portability, the Maverick D1 will power anything from IEMs to 600ohm Beyers just fine.  It's not world class or anything, but it won't leave wondering why your expensive headphones sound like crap.  I like that its tweakable, with tube rolling (if you use the pre outs) and the socketed opamps.  I don't know how it compairs to the others you mentioned though.

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with Maverick Audio in any way, shape, or form.  I've been using the handle for close to decade now.

Ok thanks for the info, helps reassure my decision.  So by saying it will power anything from iems to 600ohm beyers fine does that mean that headphones such as the ms1 suggested will do ok even though they will be very limited on the volume dial and are already fine without an amp? 

More headphone suggestions please =)

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #34 of 49
Grado´s SR60i/SR80i or Alessandro MS-1
AKG´s 501/601 (for someone even better than 701/702 and cheaper)

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Ok thanks for the info, helps reassure my decision.  So by saying it will power anything from iems to 600ohm beyers fine does that mean that headphones such as the ms1 suggested will do ok even though they will be very limited on the volume dial and are already fine without an amp?

Yeah, pretty much.  Three or four clicks is enough for my SE530s, and with nothing playing its almost dead silent.  A little more than halfway was plenty for my DT990/600s, when I had them.  You'll have more room to play with on the volume dial for the MS1s though, since they aren't nearly as efficient as my SE530s though.  It's also got a perfectly balanced stepped attenuator as well so you won't get channel imbalances at low levels.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #36 of 49

Quote:
Grado´s SR60i/SR80i or Alessandro MS-1
AKG´s 501/601 (for someone even better than 701/702 and cheaper)

Ok the k501/601/701 are all out of my budget but... ms1 is a maybe.  I've read very good things about the sound quality but I'm worried about the comfort and I especially dislike 90% of superaural headhpones I tried just on comfort alone.  Is comfort really a problem?  (I guess it depends on your preferences and shape of head though)  Any other suggestions, preferably full sized)?

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, pretty much.  Three or four clicks is enough for my SE530s, and with nothing playing its almost dead silent.  A little more than halfway was plenty for my DT990/600s, when I had them.  You'll have more room to play with on the volume dial for the MS1s though, since they aren't nearly as efficient as my SE530s though.  It's also got a perfectly balanced stepped attenuator as well so you won't get channel imbalances at low levels.

Thanks for all the info on the maverick amp.  I'm feeling very confident in my decision on this amp and it seems to be so versatile in terms of what it power and such.  I really appreciate it =)

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:
Ok the k501/601/701 are all out of my budget but... ms1 is a maybe.  I've read very good things about the sound quality but I'm worried about the comfort and I especially dislike 90% of superaural headhpones I tried just on comfort alone.  Is comfort really a problem?  (I guess it depends on your preferences and shape of head though)  Any other suggestions, preferably full sized)?

If you already don't like other supraural 'phones then don't get the MS1s.  I bet the sound great (I'm listening to SR80s right now) but they aren't the most comfortable, even by supraural standards.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #39 of 49
Only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned are the HD 555s.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #40 of 49
It's worth noting that the Meier-Audio portable amps (especially the CORDA3 MOVE, which I have experience with) have quite a lot of power and are able to drive full size headphones without any problems. Of course, no portable amp will give you the power that a desktop amp can provide.

As for headphone recommendations, here's an eBay offer for an AKG K240 for only $89. I haven't heard it myself, but I believe it's quite well respected here. On Amazon, the AKG K240 MKII is only $39 more expensive.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #41 of 49
A Grado SR225i and a HiFiMAN EF-2 (amp/dac) would be a good combo, and right in your wheelhouse, price-wise.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #42 of 49
Thanks for all the recommendations!  So for headphones, I've gotten the following recommendations on this post ms1, sr80, a700, ad700, m50, hd25, hd555, k240s.  Since supraural have never been comfortable for me that takes off the ms1 and sr80.  I've read good things about all of these headphones regarding different aspects.  It seems though that I would like the ad700, k240, and hd555 the best from reading many threads.  Any opinions on these, good soundstage and versatility are top priorities. 

I'm about ready to just close off discussion with amps so unless there is a really good suggestion that I must know about, try to keep further amp posts to a minimum. 

Thanks

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #44 of 49
I bought some Shure SRH 750 djs on sale for $129.00 CDN. They are not as comfy as the Grado sr80i, but they (sure ) sound better !!
IMHO. I got lucky and picked up an Ibasso d10 for real cheap, and I really like this pair. The Shure SRH440s have pretty good reviews too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back