Introduction and Buying First Good Headphones
Jul 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 49

Quote:
For easy to drive headphones such as the M50s or HD25s you could look into the iBasso T3 at 119 + shipping (~20). 

Ok, if I went this route and say I wanted to get new headphones like maybe hd600/650 or akg 701/2 then that would require a whole new amp for them to sound good?  Would it be more economical just to buy an better amp now?  Sorry about these questions, I'm pretty inexperienced.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 49
Yeah, you're definitely right. When I made that suggestion, I was referring to the other guy who asked for a cheaper amp. The headphones he was considering don't need something as powerful as the full size Senns/AKGs need. There are a few portable amps that are capable of driving full size headphones, but most don't have a built in DAC. I'd say if you can swing the Audinst as a portable it may be your best bet. Someone else suggested the iBasso D4 which may be another viable option, though I'm not completely sure of it's capabilities right now. My brother has one on the way though so I'll test it with my 600 ohm Sextetts and report back to you.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 49

Quote:
Yeah, you're definitely right. When I made that suggestion, I was referring to the other guy who asked for a cheaper amp. The headphones he was considering don't need something as powerful as the full size Senns/AKGs need. There are a few portable amps that are capable of driving full size headphones, but most don't have a built in DAC. I'd say if you can swing the Audinst as a portable it may be your best bet. Someone else suggested the iBasso D4 which may be another viable option, though I'm not completely sure of it's capabilities right now. My brother has one on the way though so I'll test it with my 600 ohm Sextetts and report back to you.

The Audinst seems like a pretty good amp, but there aren't too many comparisons between that and other amps.  Would this amp be able to compare with slightly more expensive amps such as audio gd-fun or maverick?  I decided portability is not as big of an issue since most of my higher quality music is at home and that's also where I do most of my listening so full size amps, if substantially better can be considered as well. 

I just always had that a smaller amp though more portable can never match the performance of a larger amp at the same price since the larger amp doesn't spend it's money/design costs in reduction of size.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 49
If I can still grab a pair of DBI 700's should I go for those over the HD 25 or M50? Also, DBI 700 or 705?

Also, any clarification on the best amp to buy now that'll be able to power higher end headphones down the line? I think I'll just skip over a cheaper portable or weaker full size and grab a higher end amp now as well.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 49
If you can find the dbi 700s they are great. I would take them over the 705s, they have richer mids.  Between the 700 and the m50 its a harder choice, I find the m50 more comfortable but the mids are a little recessed.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 49
I think I can get my hands on a pair so I'll definitely grab the 700's since they are so much cheaper than the M50's or the HD25's so I can grab a higher end amp now and then make a larger upgrade down the line.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 49
Is the Headstage Arrow 12HE any good for full-size senns or akg's? (HD600/650 and 701/702's?). It goes for $250 new.

Also, hows the Headroom Total BitHead for those cans? it goes for $160 new. Because its an amp/dac would that be the better choice?

(not trying to thread jack, as it seems these questions directly relate to the OP's questions).

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #23 of 49
Headstage Arrow 12HE is excellent for HD580 and AKG 271 (and thus for 600/650/701/702, too), worth using a lossless audio format and of course worth using even better (stationary) amps.

My old Headstage Lyrix total USB connected to my laptop's USB delivers more detail and little bit more punch. The same should apply to any decend USB dac/amp combo. The Arrow is meant for portable use with iPod etc., not really for transportable use with computer. Headstage USB Dac Stick has been announced early this year (or even before). Very attractive package price with Arrow, but no delivery, yet.

HD600/650 and 701/702 come with 6.3mm 1/4" plugs. For mobile use I advise to change to 3,5mm 1/8".

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 49
Ok, I have a question.  Are the portable amps suggested (arrow 12he, ibasso, etc...) equally as good as a similarly priced full-size amp (or at least close?).  A brief list of differences would be nice since I honestly no nothing about amps. 

Also, don't worry about jacking the thread everyone, your questions are helping me out as well.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #25 of 49
I'd suggest you search for the D4/T3 review thread if you haven't already. There's a lot of valuable information in there regarding iBasso's ability to drive full size headphones.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 49
Hi

I also new here, may I suggest Nuforce icon mini for $99. It's a very small and portable DAC And amp. I've been using it with my Senn IE8 and are very happy with it.

I also use a line out cable to connect it to my iPad.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #28 of 49
Ok, I just thought this thread was getting just a little off track so I would like to revisit the original intentions of the thread except I have changed some opinions since the first post based on what I'm reading so this is what I'm looking for.

Budget- under 350 (200-275 for amp/dac) 100 for headphones (upgrade later)
For amps I got suggested Audio GD Fun and by searching the forums I found the maverick d1 for non portable.  For portable amps I got suggested Headstage Arrow 12he, Audinst, ibasso d4, and a few others. 
For headphones there haven't been many suggestions at all, sennhieiser hd25 and at50 have been brought up and through searching forums I also stumbled upon a700 ad700 and k240. 

I'm looking for new suggestions similar to the ones listed and already suggested as well as opinions to help narrow down choices.

Also, one question.  Would it be silly to get a pair of really low impendence headphones such as grado since I would be very limited to the volume dial since I could only use maybe the first 1/4 of it?

Thanks Everyone!

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #29 of 49
The AD-700's seem to be quite popular around here, and the Arrow 12HE seems to be good, though it would be nice to get some more opinions on it, especially on how it does with 'phones like the HD650/600 and AKG 701/702 for later down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back