Introducing VentureCraft SounDroid VALOQ [SDP-1]-Impression thread- Check second post for updates
Mar 28, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #437 of 657
While I can't fully stand behind their summaries, I've finally gotten Valoq to play nicely with RMAA. I will publish results for balanced and unbalanced with a [very small] variety of op amps tomorrow if anyone is interested.

[edit]

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #440 of 657
Looking forward to it, to me valoq can be a very selective beast, plays well with some and not so well with some.

And it has a grounding problem that has been the bane of today's and least week's measurements. I'll update either tonight or tomorrow. Good news: it is stable. Bad news: it's not the best thing out there. I leave you with a ridiculous photograph:

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #442 of 657
  While I can't fully stand behind their summaries, I've finally gotten Valoq to play nicely with RMAA. I will publish results for balanced and unbalanced with a [very small] variety of op amps tomorrow if anyone is interested.

[edit]

Looking forward to it thanks

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #446 of 657

I've finally gotten up by RMAA scores (lots of problems this time due to grounding issues) as well as a user summary.

User summary: Venturecraft Valoq - Frayed in Japan
RMAA: RMAA - Venturecraft Valoq 24-bit

Nice writeup as always!

Not sure if Dimitri had updated the loaner Valoq to the latest firmware - saying this cos Venturecraft releases firmware updates very frequently in the first two months or so, and after a couple of updates the lags during scrolls become pretty much non-existent. I am positive I haven't met any such lags in my past few weeks of use, and together with small fixes the browsing has become much smoother with very few to no glitches. Now the user experience has improved from marginally acceptable to very good I can assure you. Not a sophisticated OS, but very fine for a pure music player.

And I think the On/Off pop is explained somewhere officially by Venturecraft as an intentional design move.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #447 of 657

Nice writeup as always!

Not sure if Dimitri had updated the loaner Valoq to the latest firmware - saying this cos Venturecraft releases firmware updates very frequently in the first two months or so, and after a couple of updates the lags during scrolls become pretty much non-existent. I am positive I haven't met any such lags in my past few weeks of use, and together with small fixes the browsing has become much smoother with very few to no glitches. Now the user experience has improved from marginally acceptable to very good I can assure you. Not a sophisticated OS, but very fine for a pure music player.

And I think the On/Off pop is explained somewhere officially by Venturecraft as an intentional design move.

I will check with Dimitri as to firmware. I'm sure I can check it myself, but it's always nice to know how/what a vendor thinks. As to the pop: if it's intentional, it is bad design, or something they couldn't fix. But I'll be happy to see less scrolling lag.

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #448 of 657

I will check with Dimitri as to firmware. I'm sure I can check it myself, but it's always nice to know how/what a vendor thinks. As to the pop: if it's intentional, it is bad design, or something they couldn't fix. But I'll be happy to see less scrolling lag.

Venturecraft had mentioned they can actually simply place a noise suppressing circuit to the output like everyone else did then there'd be no pop whatsoever, but they opt for more transparency and resolving power, both of which must inevitably be hampered by the circuit to some extent.

Whether one buy this theory is up to you. But for me my sequence of starting up my listening sessions is always 1. switch on the player 2. plug in the earphones 3. put the earphones on 4. play, and I could never hear the pop and the pop would not even go into my earphones, not to say my ears. Of course everyone got their own habits and YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back