Introducing the xDuoo TA-66 OTL Tube Amplifier - Now Available on Apos Audio
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #62 of 114
Doesn't this one look like a buffer? It's the size of the buffer, not the pre-amp.

I’m going by the specifications that I see on xDuuo’s web site for TA-26S, which lists Chinese 6N8P for preamp and Chinese 6N5P for buffer. 6N8P is cross-compatible with CV181 and 6SN7. 6N5P is cross-compatible with 6AS7.

CV181 and 6AS7G both happen to be, “Coke bottle,” glass envelope vacuum tube designs, but the pin-out, signal, heater specifications et cetera are not the same.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #63 of 114
I’m going by the specifications that I see on xDuuo’s web site for TA-26S, which lists Chinese 6N8P for preamp and Chinese 6N5P for buffer. 6N8P is cross-compatible with CV181 and 6SN7. 6N5P is cross-compatible with 6AS7.

CV181 and 6AS7G both happen to be, “Coke bottle,” glass envelope vacuum tube designs, but the pin-out, signal, heater specifications et cetera are not the same.

-Ed
OK, thanks!

This is a complete mess for me... :)

But I read the specs, and this CV181-T MkII seems to have a diameter of approximately 31.5 mm,
which is the diameter of the base ready for sockets of 30.5 mm.

I think that 30.5 mm could be the diameter of the sockets for the pre-amp in TA-26S.
So it could be the right one.

OK, do I have the right pair if I buy that "winged C" as a buffer and CV181 as a pre-amp?
I am bothering you, but just this one...and I am leaving :)

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #64 of 114
OK, thanks!

This is a complete mess for me... :)

But I read the specs, and this CV181-T MkII seems to have a diameter of approximately 31.5 mm,
which is the diameter of the base ready for sockets of 30.5 mm.

I think that 30.5 mm could be the diameter of the sockets for the pre-amp in TA-26S.
So it could be the right one.

OK, do I have the right pair if I buy that "winged C" as a buffer and CV181 as a pre-amp?
I am bothering you, but just this one...and I am leaving :)
This is the right pairing.

A good idea to avoid problems with the CV181 glass envelope making contact with the chassis is to use an octal tube socket saver between the tube and the socket. It will raise the base up and lift the bottom of the glass envelope past the top of the chassis. I am actually planning to do this with my Freya+.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #65 of 114
This is the right pairing.

A good idea to avoid problems with the CV181 glass envelope making contact with the chassis is to use an octal tube socket saver between the tube and the socket. It will raise the base up and lift the bottom of the glass envelope past the top of the chassis. I am actually planning to do this with my Freya+.

-Ed
Thanks a lot!
You helped.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #66 of 114
Does the amplifier have no rise and brightness at medium and high frequencies?.I especially don't like it when it's in the middle.All the tube amplifiers that I had previously had a problem as a minimus with medium frequencies.Please write to the owners.
Haven't noticed that, I usually crank it with headphones and lower/increase volume with e50 dac. But I always use at noon as a preamp with speakers and haven't noticed that, bass definetly increases (in a pleasing manner) but nor brightness to my ears

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #67 of 114
I have HD650 and I use it with Xduoo XD05PRO portable dac/amp. I really love the sound from this XD05PRO (have both dac cards with it "ESS9039SPRO and AKM4499EX"). I also tried my friend's OTL amp "Rada Valkyrie" and I can say that I like overall sound signature and tonality better with tube amp for specific genres liks Vocal Jazz, Classical Music, Blues, Soul and etc... tube amp just has different sound signature compared to my XD05PRO with AKM4499EX dac. Tubes make sound warmer, even more analog sounding, with wider and deeper scene, overall sweeter sound. But with some music genres like Metal, Electronics, Hard Rock I would not choose tube amp.

I would not reccomend you buying Fiio Q15 specifically for your HD6xx or HD600, because these cans need more power to sound really good and Q15 is more suitable for IEMs regarding its power output.
Thanks for the feedback although the 1600 mw that the Q15 puts out is probably plenty for the Sennys. I have to try an OTL tube amp before I do anything else.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #68 of 114
The TA26s is single ended also, it just has a 4.4 mm headphone jack for convenience. Every review I've seen of the TA 26s says both the 4.4 and 1/4 inch outs sound the same and have the same power.
I am confirming that theory. I just tried HD600 on both outs, and it's the same.
Verum1 mk2 was an impedance mismatch... that's why it didn't work.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #69 of 114
Thanks for the feedback although the 1600 mw that the Q15 puts out is probably plenty for the Sennys. I have to try an OTL tube amp before I do anything else.
I agree that 1.6watts is enough to drive Sennheiser cans. Some of the solid state amps I used previously were rated lower and it was fine. Basically anything 1watt or higher is enough.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #70 of 114
I want one of these so bad.

Got myself an MT-602 for bedside and TA-22 for main recently, and I'm a fan.

This may be in my future.

I have some Koss 60ohm drivers, a Senn HD490 that is 150ohm or so, and an LCD-3 which is also over 100ohm that should hopefully work out ok with this.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #71 of 114
One thing I can say is that even though it is running single-ended, the TA-66 provides more than enough power for the HD 6XX. I was a little disappointed that they don’t offer a fully balanced version/output, but for such a short cable run, I think the difference is minimal since there is more than sufficient power to drive anyway.

-Ed
keep in mind, that a balanced amp would need twice more tubes

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #72 of 114
keep in mind, that a balanced amp would need twice more tubes
Given that I own a Schiit Freya+ and that uses four tubes, I clearly don’t mind. 😅

-Ed

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #73 of 114
Hi,
I was about to buy TA-66 but changed my mind at the last minute and bought TA-26S.
At first, I didn't pay close attention to outputs,
but then I saw that TA-66 has only 6.3 mm, and TA-26S has + 4.4 mm.
And the max power of TA-26S is 2.5x more than TA-66.

So, do I like the sound of TA-26S?
Yes, absolutely, yes...but I am also surprised by the sound signature.

It's not tubey/warm at all :)

Does anyone have experience with both to compare them?
Is TA-66 warmer sounding, different sounding than TA-26S?

I am about to replace stock tubes with ones with more tubey/warm sound.
Edward Ng
, is TA-66 warm sounding out of the box?

How many pins do TA-66 sockets have...I've seen those tubes that you bought.
The front has 9 pins, and the rear has 8 pins.
TA-26S has both sockets with 8 pins.

Now, something crossed my mind...since I do like the sound of the TA-26S,
I thought if TA-66 sound different/warmer/tubey out of the box,
I might buy TA-66 rather than the new tubes for the TA-26S, which might cost the same as TA-66. :)

Then, I would have two great amps with two sound profiles instead of one and two pairs of tubes.

Also, I am unsure if changing the tubes with TA-26S would bring about a noticeable change.

That's what I read, a couple of comments on the TA-26S thread.

Cheers!
I actually did the opposite, ordered the Ta 26s figuring that it was expensive and more powerful so the ta66 might be a little brother to the Ta 26s, however I ordered 220v version so I canceled to order again. Before I did though I realized the Ta 66 was actually bigger and heavier, also took noticed that those who owned ta26s commented that it was Un usable past noon due to being too much power for anything and distorted badly past that point and many reviewers noted that even though it sounded nice it was not very tubey (whatever that means) with stock tubes. I own l50 e50 stack so the farther I can go from clean precise digital sound signature the better (for variety) and pulled the trigger on the Ta 66. Glad I did, this is my first tube amp (for headphones) and it does seem pretty tubey to my highs rounded off but with all the detail, lush midrange, boosted smooth bass and effortless feeling all that with stock tubes. Curiously enough I kind of want to buy the Ta 26s as well since I bought a pair of vintage tubes for 26s before I realized my mistake and was unable to cancel that order but I can tell you that even if I buy 26s the Ta 66s is not leaving my desk any time soon. Also the volume pot is by fixed steps so you can use sensitive headphones without encountering channel imbalance at low levels (ta26s)

Tldr ta66 is definetly on the warm and tubey side out of the box and deserves a place in my desk with the only downside being that you loose the ability to use to headphones at the same time on it (since it's not truly balanced)

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #74 of 114
I actually did the opposite, ordered the Ta 26s figuring that it was expensive and more powerful so the ta66 might be a little brother to the Ta 26s, however I ordered 220v version so I canceled to order again. Before I did though I realized the Ta 66 was actually bigger and heavier, also took noticed that those who owned ta26s commented that it was Un usable past noon due to being too much power for anything and distorted badly past that point and many reviewers noted that even though it sounded nice it was not very tubey (whatever that means) with stock tubes. I own l50 e50 stack so the farther I can go from clean precise digital sound signature the better (for variety) and pulled the trigger on the Ta 66. Glad I did, this is my first tube amp (for headphones) and it does seem pretty tubey to my highs rounded off but with all the detail, lush midrange, boosted smooth bass and effortless feeling all that with stock tubes. Curiously enough I kind of want to buy the Ta 26s as well since I bought a pair of vintage tubes for 26s before I realized my mistake and was unable to cancel that order but I can tell you that even if I buy 26s the Ta 66s is not leaving my desk any time soon. Also the volume pot is by fixed steps so you can use sensitive headphones without encountering channel imbalance at low levels (ta26s)

Tldr ta66 is definetly on the warm and tubey side out of the box and deserves a place in my desk with the only downside being that you loose the ability to use to headphones at the same time on it (since it's not truly balanced)
Which headphones did you try with it?

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #75 of 114
Someone above already noted that neither is balanced; it's just that TA-26S has a 4.4 mm option.
I can confirm that by the volume.

Regarding the volume, I can not agree with what others have said.
I read a comment that the volume nob doesn't react after 12 o'clock at all...which is not true.
Plenty of power for Sennheisers, and I listen to it on pretty high volumes.

I am totally enjoying TA-26S just because of the sound (not tubey) it has. It's clear and crisp, with extension in the bass region.
I was expecting a warmer sound (which I wanted), but now I am enjoying it even more because it doesn't have it.

Neither of my higher-rated SS amplifiers has such a clear and crisp sound.
Perhaps it's not quite a musical sound, but I don't need it because it's not my only amp.

Since I am curious, I will replace the tubes and see how they work.

But also...because of the good response to TA-66, as more tubey and warm sounding.

I will probably get that one, too. :)

I don't see it as a mistake having TA-26S, only a bonus.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back