Introducing the xDuoo TA-66 OTL Tube Amplifier - Now Available on Apos Audio
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #46 of 114
Does the amplifier have no rise and brightness at medium and high frequencies?.I especially don't like it when it's in the middle.All the tube amplifiers that I had previously had a problem as a minimus with medium frequencies.Please write to the owners.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #47 of 114
Does the amplifier have no rise and brightness at medium and high frequencies?.I especially don't like it when it's in the middle.All the tube amplifiers that I had previously had a problem as a minimus with medium frequencies.Please write to the owners.
I have not noticed such a thing. The only noise I am detecting in the unit is a very faint hum when I am very very near the unit and am not listening to any music.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #48 of 114
Hi,
I was about to buy TA-66 but changed my mind at the last minute and bought TA-26S.
At first, I didn't pay close attention to outputs,
but then I saw that TA-66 has only 6.3 mm, and TA-26S has + 4.4 mm.
And the max power of TA-26S is 2.5x more than TA-66.

So, do I like the sound of TA-26S?
Yes, absolutely, yes...but I am also surprised by the sound signature.

It's not tubey/warm at all :)

Does anyone have experience with both to compare them?
Is TA-66 warmer sounding, different sounding than TA-26S?

I am about to replace stock tubes with ones with more tubey/warm sound.
Edward Ng
, is TA-66 warm sounding out of the box?

How many pins do TA-66 sockets have...I've seen those tubes that you bought.
The front has 9 pins, and the rear has 8 pins.
TA-26S has both sockets with 8 pins.

Now, something crossed my mind...since I do like the sound of the TA-26S,
I thought if TA-66 sound different/warmer/tubey out of the box,
I might buy TA-66 rather than the new tubes for the TA-26S, which might cost the same as TA-66. :)

Then, I would have two great amps with two sound profiles instead of one and two pairs of tubes.

Also, I am unsure if changing the tubes with TA-26S would bring about a noticeable change.

That's what I read, a couple of comments on the TA-26S thread.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #49 of 114
Hi,
I was about to buy TA-66 but changed my mind at the last minute and bought TA-26S.
At first, I didn't pay close attention to outputs,
but then I saw that TA-66 has only 6.3 mm, and TA-26S has + 4.4 mm.
And the max power of TA-26S is 2.5x more than TA-66.

So, do I like the sound of TA-26S?
Yes, absolutely, yes...but I am also surprised by the sound signature.

It's not tubey/warm at all :)

Does anyone have experience with both to compare them?
Is TA-66 warmer sounding, different sounding than TA-26S?

I am about to replace stock tubes with ones with more tubey/warm sound.
Edward Ng
, is TA-66 warm sounding out of the box?

How many pins do TA-66 sockets have...I've seen those tubes that you bought.
The front has 9 pins, and the rear has 8 pins.
TA-26S has both sockets with 8 pins.

Now, something crossed my mind...since I do like the sound of the TA-26S,
I thought if TA-66 sound different/warmer/tubey out of the box,
I might buy TA-66 rather than the new tubes for the TA-26S, which might cost the same as TA-66. :)

Then, I would have two great amps with two sound profiles instead of one and two pairs of tubes.

Also, I am unsure if changing the tubes with TA-26S would bring about a noticeable change.

That's what I read, a couple of comments on the TA-26S thread.

Cheers!
Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with TA-26S, so I am unable to provide a direct comparison on which might sound warmer. I do get a warmer overall tone from the TA-66 than I do with any previous amplifier I’ve used these cans on, but all of those were solid state and not tube, so unfortunately I do not have any other tube headphone amplifier, OTL or non-OTL to compare against.

Looking at the TA-26S, it appears that the preamp tube is different from TA-66 (6N8P on the former, 6N2 on the latter). The buffer stage tube is the same, Chinese 6N5P (AKA 6AS7G).

One thing I can say is that even though it is running single-ended, the TA-66 provides more than enough power for the HD 6XX. I was a little disappointed that they don’t offer a fully balanced version/output, but for such a short cable run, I think the difference is minimal since there is more than sufficient power to drive anyway.

-Ed

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #50 of 114
Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with TA-26S, so I am unable to provide a direct comparison on which might sound warmer. I do get a warmer overall tone from the TA-66 than I do with any previous amplifier I’ve used these cans on, but all of those were solid state and not tube, so unfortunately I do not have any other tube headphone amplifier, OTL or non-OTL to compare against.

Looking at the TA-26S, it appears that the preamp tube is different from TA-66 (6N8P on the former, 6N2 on the latter). The buffer stage tube is the same, Chinese 6N5P (AKA 6AS7G).

One thing I can say is that even though it is running single-ended, the TA-66 provides more than enough power for the HD 6XX. I was a little disappointed that they don’t offer a fully balanced version/output, but for such a short cable run, I think the difference is minimal since there is more than sufficient power to drive anyway.

-Ed
The TA26s is single ended also, it just has a 4.4 mm headphone jack for convenience. Every review I've seen of the TA 26s says both the 4.4 and 1/4 inch outs sound the same and have the same power.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #51 of 114
The TA26s is single ended also, it just has a 4.4 mm headphone jack for convenience. Every review I've seen of the TA 26s says both the 4.4 and 1/4 inch outs sound the same and have the same power.
Okay well in that case there’s minimal benefit to me. I run a modular Hart Audio cable and I just have various adapters on hand, including 4.4mm balanced, 4-pin XLR balanced, and 1/4” single-ended.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #52 of 114
Okay well in that case there’s minimal benefit to me. I run a modular Hart Audio cable and I just have various adapters on hand, including 4.4mm balanced, 4-pin XLR balanced, and 1/4” single-ended.

-Ed
I'm considering the TA66 also so I'm following your ongoing impressions of it. I'd probably use the dac in my AK4493 K5 pro if I got one.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #53 of 114
I'm considering the TA66 also so I'm following your ongoing impressions of it. I'd probably use the dac in my AK4493 K5 pro if I got one.
AKM DACs sound great. The AK4499EX+AK4191EQ chipset in my R6 Pro II is the closest sounding Sigma-Delta DAC that I have ever heard to the R-2R DACs that I’ve listened to or own (Denafrips Ares II, Musician Draco, and Cayin RU7 [which is technically a 1-bit native DSD resistor ladder DAC, not R-2R]). This is why I skip using my RU7 when I take my R6 Pro II with me on my commutes.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #54 of 114
AKM DACs sound great. The AK4499EX+AK4191EQ chipset in my R6 Pro II is the closest sounding Sigma-Delta DAC that I have ever heard to the R-2R DACs that I’ve listened to or own (Denafrips Ares II, Musician Draco, and Cayin RU7 [which is technically a 1-bit native DSD resistor ladder DAC, not R-2R]). This is why I skip using my RU7 when I take my R6 Pro II with me on my commutes.

-Ed
I've read great things about that chipset, seems like the first thing in awhile that's a real upgrade over other Sigma-Delta chips. I was also thinking of getting the FIIO Q15 with that same chipset as an upgrade over my BTR5 and K5 Pro and skip the tube amp since I don't have a lot of space, but I have an HD600, HD6xx and HD560s so I guess I owe it to myself to at least try an OTL tube amp. Do you think the TA66 would sound that much better than just getting a Q15?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #55 of 114
I've read great things about that chipset, seems like the first thing in awhile that's a real upgrade over other DS chips. I was also thinking of getting the FIIO Q15 with that same chipset as an upgrade over my BTR5 and K5 Pro and skip the tube amp since I don't have a lot of space, but I have an HD600, HD6xx and HD560s so I guess I owe it to myself to at least try an OTL tube amp. Do you think the TA66 would sound that much better than just getting a Q15?
I find that it definitely sounds a good deal better than the amp in my R6 Pro II for these Sennheiser cans. There is apparently some sort of magic about pairing these cans with an OTL amplifier. That being said, two different use cases. If you prioritize overall critical listening at home, get the OTL amp. If you’re prioritizing on-the-go listening, the Q15 provides more utility. You 100% can’t take that TA-66 with you places, it is an absolute beast!

I can also try skipping the RU7 DAC tonight and go straight to the TA-66 with my R6 Pro II to get an idea how the AK4499/4191 sounds with the TA-66, as that’s a combination I haven’t tried yet. I’ll do that late tonight and come back with feedback/comparison to using the RU7.

-Ed

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #56 of 114
Thanks!

This is helpful. I don't know anything about tubes, but I am picking up things now along the way. :)
The buffer is bigger (8 pins), and the smaller is pre-amp (9 pins).

So, I could buy the same for buffer as you.

Is this one ok?
6AS7GA / 6H13C / 6N13S Svetlana / Russia (NOS)

Do you have any in mind that I could buy for pre-amp (8 pins) that matches Svetlana well?
Just to mention, I connected the TA-26C to the Topping E30 DAC. That's the only DAC I have available; other, better ones are in use.
So, I tried today briefly with Topping E50, which is obviously better but also warmer-sounding.

And wow... a significant improvement. Now I know that DAC changes sound a lot.

I guess TA-66 would react the same. This amp can sound great. I can see why you are excited about TA-66, too.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #57 of 114
Thanks!

This is helpful. I don't know anything about tubes, but I am picking up things now along the way. :)
The buffer is bigger (8 pins), and the smaller is pre-amp (9 pins).

So, I could buy the same for buffer as you.

Is this one ok?
6AS7GA / 6H13C / 6N13S Svetlana / Russia (NOS)

Do you have any in mind that I could buy for pre-amp (8 pins) that matches Svetlana well?
Just to mention, I connected the TA-26C to the Topping E30 DAC. That's the only DAC I have available; other, better ones are in use.
So, I tried today briefly with Topping E50, which is obviously better but also warmer-sounding.

And wow... a significant improvement. Now I know that DAC changes sound a lot.

I guess TA-66 would react the same. This amp can sound great. I can see why you are excited about TA-66, too.

Cheers!
I don’t have experience with that exact Svetlana tube, so I am hesitant to say. This is the exact one I am using for buffer (it’s what Atma-Sphere used in their MA-3 OTL speaker amp!): https://www.thetubestore.com/winged-c-6h13c-6as7g

For preamp stage, the Chinese 6N8P is compatible with 6SN7 or CV181. I use Psvane’s CV181-T MkII tubes in my Schiit Freya+ which is part of my speaker chain and I HIGHLY recommend that tube to anyone looking to roll 6SN7 or Chinese 6N8P. They are truly amazing tubes!

And yes—100%, the DAC makes a tremendous difference in the final output. Shockingly so.

-Ed

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #58 of 114
The TA26s is single ended also, it just has a 4.4 mm headphone jack for convenience.
I tried Verum1 mk2, and it was hardly driven and quiet on 6.3 mm.

Verum is known for its easiest drive...perhaps it happened because of an impedance mismatch (quiet).

I will try that with Sennheiser, too, and I will confirm...or not what you are writing.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #59 of 114
I've read great things about that chipset, seems like the first thing in awhile that's a real upgrade over other DS chips. I was also thinking of getting the FIIO Q15 with that same chipset as an upgrade over my BTR5 and K5 Pro and skip the tube amp since I don't have a lot of space, but I have an HD600, HD6xx and HD560s so I guess I owe it to myself to at least try an OTL tube amp. Do you think the TA66 would sound that much better than just getting a Q15?
I have HD650 and I use it with Xduoo XD05PRO portable dac/amp. I really love the sound from this XD05PRO (have both dac cards with it "ESS9039SPRO and AKM4499EX"). I also tried my friend's OTL amp "Rada Valkyrie" and I can say that I like overall sound signature and tonality better with tube amp for specific genres liks Vocal Jazz, Classical Music, Blues, Soul and etc... tube amp just has different sound signature compared to my XD05PRO with AKM4499EX dac. Tubes make sound warmer, even more analog sounding, with wider and deeper scene, overall sweeter sound. But with some music genres like Metal, Electronics, Hard Rock I would not choose tube amp.

I would not reccomend you buying Fiio Q15 specifically for your HD6xx or HD600, because these cans need more power to sound really good and Q15 is more suitable for IEMs regarding its power output.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #60 of 114
I have HD650 and I use it with Xduoo XD05PRO portable dac/amp. I really love the sound from this XD05PRO (have both dac cards with it "ESS9039SPRO and AKM4499EX"). I also tried my friend's OTL amp "Rada Valkyrie" and I can say that I like overall sound signature and tonality better with tube amp for specific genres liks Vocal Jazz, Classical Music, Blues, Soul and etc... tube amp just has different sound signature compared to my XD05PRO with AKM4499EX dac. Tubes make sound warmer, even more analog sounding, with wider and deeper scene, overall sweeter sound. But with some music genres like Metal, Electronics, Hard Rock I would not choose tube amp.
Agreed. I stick to acoustic music with my HD 6XX. For electronic/synthetic, I use my IEMs (Tangzu x HBB Zetian Wu HeyDay Edition).

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back