Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA
Aug 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #31 of 613

149 is British Pounds, it's 179 Euros, and $199 US Dollars.

149GBP is almost US $250 unless they said the pricing would actually be $199 instead of the converted price point. Much happier with $199 or a bit less for the non-mic model.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #37 of 613
Ditto...I'll never spend over $75 on IEMs with fixed cables. Never ever ever, unless they have a 5 year warranty, because that's about how long my first pair of SE215s lasted until I demolished them by stepping on the nozzle; probably would've gotten another 2-3 years out of them at least, and I went through 3 cables in the process.

So yeah, screw $100+ IEMs without detachable cables. It's honestly just straight up greedy of any successful company not to provide this for such expensive EARPHONES.

Quote:
  But no detachable cable 
frown.gif

These caught my attention, but couldn't hold it.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #39 of 613
  149GBP is almost US $250 unless they said the pricing would actually be $199 instead of the converted price point. Much happier with $199 or a bit less for the non-mic model.

If I used a currency converter, it'd be a very bad one.
tongue.gif

From the Press Release:
 The RHA T10i in-ear headphone carries a three year manufacturer’s warranty and will be available from October 2014 with an MSRP of £149.95 / €179.95 / $199.95.

So US consumers get a slightly better deal.

Ditto...I'll never spend over $75 on IEMs with fixed cables. Never ever ever, unless they have a 5 year warranty, because that's about how long my first pair of SE215s lasted until I demolished them by stepping on the nozzle; probably would've gotten another 2-3 years out of them at least, and I went through 3 cables in the process. So yeah, screw $100+ IEMs without detachable cables. It's honestly just straight up greedy of any successful company not to provide this for such expensive EARPHONES.

I don't think the SE215 has even been out for five years; it's more like four, with most availability at around three years. In many ways, IEMs with detachable cables are less durable. The MMCX connectors on the SE215 are susceptible to connection failures and center pin bending, all of which are troublesome for both the user and costly for the manufacturer.

Greedy is a relative word. The SE215 might provide removable cables, but the margins they make off it are most likely higher than those of the T10i. Just food for thought. The fact that RHA provides a three-year warranty means that they're confident in the build quality of their product. Comparatively, the Shure has a two-year warranty. So, over a three year period (some head-fiers don't even stick with one IEM for three months, let alone three years), if that non-detachable cable breaks, RHA would be liable to replace it. I don't see how that's so greedy. Now, if they came out with a three-month warranty, it's a different story.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #41 of 613
+1, me either! Why would we need a mic+vol control if we are a serious music listener.....plus I can invest that $$ what I save on non-mic version onto my next toys or cables or silicon tips,wisely....
tongue.gif

mic are annoying , weights the cable down and to me it looks bad . even if 20$ its saving never the less .

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #42 of 613
Get with the 21st century folks - mics are great for those of us who have lovely smartphones. Very snobbish and naive to think you can't get great sound from a phone these days.

It would be commercial suicide not to have a mic version.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #43 of 613
Get with the 21st century folks - mics are great for those of us who have lovely smartphones. Very snobbish and naive to think you can't get great sound from a phone these days.

It would be commercial suicide not to have a mic version.

nope , we are not against that man , we are about , have a non mic version too , for folks like us , its the mic version these guys are showing , " T10i " there is no T10 .

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #44 of 613

nope , we are not against that man , we are about , have a non mic version too , for folks like us , its the mic version these guys are showing , " T10i " there is no T10 .

+1

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #45 of 613
Three year warranty is pretty good, I will concede.

I got my SE215 from a local Boston audio gear shop early 2010, I believe, so I may have exaggerated a bit; still, four years plus is a damn good run...and still more than three. And, like I said, I feel like that pair could easily have lasted a few more years if I hadn't brutalized them; I intend to keep my current pair much longer than three years, that's for sure.

Also, from a personal standpoint, the flexibility is huge for me: I use both an Android and iPhone interchangeably, taking calls in a chaotic small office environment, and am always on the go to boot, so being able to have a swappable functional remote and mic for both smartphones is really, really nice. I know there are some one-button mics that work for both, but they usually won't trigger voice controls for one or the other, which I use pretty frequently.

Maybe that's a rather esoteric personal thing. But to me, it's also a lot easier to just order another cable when one shows signs of giving up the ghost, rather than having to deal with the hassle of shipping my IEMs off and being without them for a week or more while I wait for a warranty replacement.

And we all know warranties don't always live up to their presumed function; I don't know how generous RHA is, but plenty of companies will turn down requests for replacements if damage is clearly the result of user error rather than faulty materials, making replaceable cables a much safer bet in general. Sure, I could have another pair of cheapos laying around to hold me over, but I don't want to do that: I want my IEMs to be a reliable part of my every-day routine. The way I use them, they are basically an extension of my phone for all of it's basic, most commonly used functions (phone, music, and search), and having to be without them is a royal pain in the ass. Much cheaper and more convenient to have a backup cable tucked in a drawer, or at worst 2 days of crackling in one ear (Amazon Prime<3) versus a week of aural celibacy 
frown.gif

And to top it off, for the folks who really go the extra mile, there are always great selections of longer, shorter, more durable, stylish, mic'd, and just *different* cables made with a variety of materials (which may or may not affect sound; I tend to sit in the latter camp personally) to choose from in order to modify, whether it be for practical, aural, or aesthetic purposes.

So yeah, I think replaceable cables should definitely be standard. It encourages a higher standard for the products overall, much moreso than anything short of something like Koss's lifetime warranty could promote, and even then, I'd still rather have swappable cables, if only for convenience and flexibility. Sure, some of these points only apply to a smaller target market, but with the wide range of immediate benefits, along with the increased pressure to produce a quality, long-lasting product that merits cable replaceability (I'm looking at you, Earsonics; the pros from Shure and Westone set the bar high, though), it seems like an overall more convenient, flexible, and straight-up technologically progressive design approach to promoting IEM longevity than just offering a longer warranty.

Quote:

If I used a currency converter, it'd be a very bad one.
tongue.gif

So US consumers get a slightly better deal.

I don't think the SE215 has even been out for five years; it's more like four, with most availability at around three years. In many ways, IEMs with detachable cables are less durable. The MMCX connectors on the SE215 are susceptible to connection failures and center pin bending, all of which are troublesome for both the user and costly for the manufacturer.

Greedy is a relative word. The SE215 might provide removable cables, but the margins they make off it are most likely higher than those of the T10i. Just food for thought. The fact that RHA provides a three-year warranty means that they're confident in the build quality of their product. Comparatively, the Shure has a two-year warranty. So, over a three year period (some head-fiers don't even stick with one IEM for three months, let alone three years), if that non-detachable cable breaks, RHA would be liable to replace it. I don't see how that's so greedy. Now, if they came out with a three-month warranty, it's a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back