Introducing the SMSL SH-X Desktop Headphone Amplifier - Now Available on Apos Audio
Jan 27, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #16 of 18
single 3 Pin Balanced XLR output for Balanced Stereo?
Apparently, they didn't know how to do the render right. On mine, it's a 4-pin.

18v RMS out of that one too. And to think these SMSL and Topping amps are getting these kinds of power figures with $20 worth of board-mounted SMPS, while having record low noise levels. This is not a surprising amount of evolution though, given we're well into the 2020s already.
These figures are trivial to get with massive opamp parallelization. Look at the high-ohm power figures. 300mW in 600 ohms shows the limitation of this approach as the amp is voltage-limited. A max output voltage of 13V means that with a hot source like the SU-X (5V) it can only make use of 9dB gain before clipping occurs.

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 18
They're very good. Versatile and resolving with very little leaning towards clinical. With that said, I'm concerned about the value proposition of chi-fi if they insist on opamp-only designs.
Hi,
Want to know how does it sound.
Also, will there be any audible noise when connected with IEM?
I'm using headphone but it somehow will have noise for most of the amp I tried.. :slight_frown:

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 18
Hi,
Want to know how does it sound.
Also, will there be any audible noise when connected with IEM?
I'm using headphone but it somehow will have noise for most of the amp I tried.. :slight_frown:
Even with 120dB/V sensitive IEMs there's no noise and the lowest gain mode is a godsend with all IEMs. As for the general sound, it's very source-dependent. The amp is fairly transparent with no apparent sins of commission. With that said - if you're used to all-opamp offerings, the sound improvement might not appear to be that big or worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back