Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Sep 3, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #287 of 867
All,

I'm glad to see the pre-order page live for the CV5!   It was quite the 'little project' - but now you'll get to hear why :wink:

- CV5 is like no other in terms of its small size, high power (325mW per channel into 32-ohm),
very high bandwidth (10Hz - 300kHz, +/- 0.1dB), 6111 Class A tube input stage, cool running, and
top-notch, highly addictive sound quality. 

(Ken and I were recently saying "imagine if this exact sound signature could actually be had in a DAP - it would be
a real game changer." )

- I'm very proud of it and I believe everyone will listens to it will find it was well worth the wait in getting it just right. 
I would say it is my favorite ALO portable to date.  Take the sound of the CDM (rich tone, spaciousness, 
seductive vocals) and the Rx (extended, precise, 'quick'), merge them together, add hi/low gain switch
(so it's equally adept with IEMs and hard to drive cans), and optimize it from IN to OUT for single-ended, and what you
have is the new CV5.  I can see it being a hit seller for ALO for a long time...

- Yes, much cooler running than the CDM.  We put a lot of work into that, especially difficult since we're dealing with a smaller
enclosure and an output stage that has even a little more power, actually! 

- Unlike CDM, we also decided to go with USB charging as that seems to be the most convenient for travel, as
everyone has a 5V USB smart phone / tablet charger or computer USB jack to plug into to charge.

- Yes, the size is just like the Rx (just a tad bit thicker due to the larger battery require since the tube draws more current
than the Rx, which has no tube input stage).

It's finally in production!  Congratulations, Ken and the ALO TEAM ! ! ! 

Thank you for all your enthusiasm and patience, everyone!  I'll try to visit this forum more often in the future - it's been
a busy year...

Vinnie

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #288 of 867
It's a tough call right now.
If Ken throw in a Mullard for the preordered then I think I will jump in right away.
Got all tubes except Mullard.
Mullard vs Raytheon?

We are going with the Raytheon 6832 tube for the official upgrade tube for the Cv5. The 6832 is 400mA, so higher than the 6111 which is 300mA (Phillips 6111 is the stock tube). The 400mA 6832 are a little toasty for the CDM but for the cool running Cv5, its perfect. This will be a real treat for tube rollers, I made a it a point to buy a a bunch of these just for the Cv5. I might add that the JAN Phillips 6111 stock tube is no slouch. Then I have green label Phillips 6111s that I cryo treated as well.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 3, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #290 of 867
Nice!!! I'm ready to order my set.
Just 2 questions:

1) Can I order through my local distributor or do I have to order direct?

2) On the preorder website it writes: The CV5 output is class ab via the OPAMP chipset. Why the decision to use opamps instead of discrete components? (Correct me if I'm wrong but the CDM and CV3 are both use discrete output stage right?)

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #291 of 867
Great news of the weekend ... I would be curious to test it in combo with the new Isine10 or 20! 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #292 of 867
We are going with the Raytheon 6832 tube for the official upgrade tube for the Cv5. The 6832 is 400mA, so higher than the 6111 which is 300mA (Phillips 6111 is the stock tube). The 400mA 6832 are a little toasty for the CDM but for the cool running Cv5, its perfect. This will be a real treat for tube rollers, I made a it a point to buy a a bunch of these just for the Cv5. I might add that the JAN Phillips 6111 stock tube is no slouch. Then I have green label Phillips 6111s that I cryo treated as well.

Ken

What impact will the higher current draw have on the battery? i.e. what will be the new run time between charges?

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #293 of 867
Could you help me to understand the cable situation?  If I am planning to go iPhone > Dragon Fly Red > CV5 > Laylas as a portable setup, what cable should I use to connect the DFR to the CV5.
I'd like a short cable option and a longer cable option in case there end up being RF issues with the iPhone6 up against the CV5 when not in airplane mode.  I understand that ALO and also Moon Audio make high quality cables, but have no clue where to go or what to purchase.  Also, is the headphone jack on the iPhone a "mini" or something else?

So I need help with terminology and guidance on purchase options for cables.

Thanks very much.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #294 of 867
  Could you help me to understand the cable situation?  If I am planning to go iPhone > Dragon Fly Red > CV5 > Laylas as a portable setup, what cable should I use to connect the DFR to the CV5.
I'd like a short cable option and a longer cable option in case there end up being RF issues with the iPhone6 up against the CV5 when not in airplane mode.  I understand that ALO and also Moon Audio make high quality cables, but have no clue where to go or what to purchase.  Also, is the headphone jack on the iPhone a "mini" or something else?

So I need help with terminology and guidance on purchase options for cables.

Thanks very much.

Luke,

Mini to mini... like these

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/sxc-8-mini-to-mini/

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #295 of 867
Nice!!! I'm ready to order my set.
Just 2 questions:

1) Can I order through my local distributor or do I have to order direct?

2) On the preorder website it writes: The CV5 output is class ab via the OPAMP chipset. Why the decision to use opamps instead of discrete components? (Correct me if I'm wrong but the CDM and CV3 are both use discrete output stage right?)

HI Ibbef,

I would contact ConnectIT in Singapore, we do have some going to them.

Actually, the wording was not accurate on the website and I have fixed this... the Cv5 is class A tube input and class AB solid state output chip, we are using a pro audio Ti chip that is awesome. 

Ken

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #296 of 867
Quote:

HI Ibbef,

I would contact ConnectIT in Singapore, we do have some going to them.

Actually, the wording was not accurate on the website and I have fixed this... the Cv5 is class A tube input and class AB solid state output chip, we are using a pro audio Ti chip that is awesome. 

Ken

I think I mistyped back there. What I meant to ask was:
Can I pre-order through my local distributor and enjoy the pre-order discount? Or is the pre-order discount only applicable when ordering direct from your online store?

Thanks for bringing us such great products!

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #298 of 867
  Would there be any reason apart from size/form factor - for anyone with a CDM to get a Cv5?

As I am tempted but have a CDM so on the fence

I'm assuming the CDM is more powerfull/flagship ALO portable tube?

Hi Sonickarma,

Mostly as you point out, size. The Cv5 is also a lot cooler running, easily charged by any 5v charging source like a iphone charger or and USB from a PC or Mac unlike the CDM which requires a dedicated special charger. Play time of the Cv5 is longer so you going to get longer playing sessions. Sound is roughly the same but we find that the Cv5 is less dependent on the input voltage so some some will find the Cv5 able to drive a wider array of cans. In fact my Cv5 is great with my HE1000s. The noise floor on the CDM is a little lower than the Cv5 but even with my Andromedas I do not find it objectionable. Another advantage of the CDM that I think people kind of over look is the balanced out of the CDM is really something special. Most portable balanced stages are no better that SE out there is no debate with the CDM, the balanced out is far better.

Thanks

ken

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #299 of 867

Hi Sonickarma,

Mostly as you point out, size. The Cv5 is also a lot cooler running, easily charged by any 5v charging source like a iphone charger or and USB from a PC or Mac unlike the CDM which requires a dedicated special charger. Play time of the Cv5 is longer so you going to get longer playing sessions. Sound is roughly the same but we find that the Cv5 is less dependent on the input voltage so some some will find the Cv5 able to drive a wider array of cans. In fact my Cv5 is great with my HE1000s. The noise floor on the CDM is a little lower than the Cv5 but even with my Andromedas I do not find it objectionable. Another advantage of the CDM that I think people kind of over look is the balanced out of the CDM is really something special. Most portable balanced stages are no better that SE out there is no debate with the CDM, the balanced out is far better.

Thanks

ken

Thank Ken for the info I'm still tempted , are all CDM tubes compatible e.g 6112 Mullards?

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #300 of 867

Thank Ken for the info I'm still tempted , are all CDM tubes compatible e.g 6112 Mullards?

Hi Sonickarma
6112 will work with the CDM
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back