Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Mar 31, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #122 of 867
Well, considering Ken's trustworthy enthusiasm and the fact that CDM costs twice the price for a dac you won't be using...

I only tested CDM with LCD2 non fazor and it wasn't powerful enough (v3 is much more powerful, closer to Mk3-B+ on that aspect). I'd be glad to test it again with my ciems, I must say. But I'm preparing to get v5 ^^

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #124 of 867
As someone who is looking for their first tube amp to drive mainly IEMs (plus the occasional full size can), would you recommend the v5 vs the CDM? I am struggling a bit to understand the differences between the two in terms of sound. I only need an amp as I will be using the mojo as a dac. Many thanks for your help in advance!

The cdm has a warmer, more euphonic sound. The cv5 more refined, faster, more detailed and has more finesse to my ears.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #125 of 867
Well, considering Ken's trustworthy enthusiasm and the fact that CDM costs twice the price for a dac you won't be using...

I only tested CDM with LCD2 non fazor and it wasn't powerful enough (v3 is much more powerful, closer to Mk3-B+ on that aspect). I'd be glad to test it again with my ciems, I must say. But I'm preparing to get v5 ^^

Did you use it balanced?

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #127 of 867
Did you use it balanced?

Can't remember if I had my kobiconn to 2.5 trrs adapter with me that day at the shop. I have to test it again, but it'll be when my ciems get back from the 'hospital'!

Hey, can you remind me what you used to test v5 ? Source and hp / iem ?

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #128 of 867
Considering this, does the v5 produce a significantly different sound to the output from a solid state amp then?

Yes, it still sounds like a tube amp. However, tubes very often give up too much technically, the speed of transients, dynamics, clean leading edge and Attack etc. The cv5 does not. It is lush, but not as lush as the cdm. It is just right for me though.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #129 of 867
Can't remember if I had my kobiconn to 2.5 trrs adapter with me that day at the shop. I have to test it again, but it'll be when my ciems get back from the 'hospital'!

Hey, can you remind me what you used to test v5 ? Source and hp / iem ?

Tested it off the FiiO x5 and as for the IEM it was a special prototype :)

Rest assured though everyone that tried it found it excellent. Check out my impressions of the sound on one of the first two pages of the thread!

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #130 of 867
Yes, it still sounds like a tube amp. However, tubes very often give up too much technically, the speed of transients, dynamics, clean leading edge and Attack etc. The cv5 does not. It is lush, but not as lush as the cdm. It is just right for me though.

*drooling at the prospect*

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #132 of 867

Sounds amazing! Thanks for clearing up my doubts - v5 it is then!

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #133 of 867
I know. Imagine how I'm feeling having actually tried it :wink:

Thinking of emigrating to Portland. Ken ? I'll need a place to crash in ^^

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #134 of 867

I just compared A/B with the Mk3 B bass at full vs the Cv5, the low end on the Mk3B is for sure doing what it is intended to do, add more weight and boom. So if that is what your after yeah I would say the Mk3B with bass adjustment at full will have a darker heavier 20-100hz perceived weight vs the Cv5. However I must say that the Mk3 is not as wide or "natural" sounding as the Cv5. But I can see why people do love that feature with the bass adjust :wink: I think we we did a great job with the Mk3s bass adjust in terms of making it "just right" and not over doing it. I greatly prefer the sound of the Cv5 and I am not just saying so for the sake of sales, we are very proud of the technical accomplishment with the Cv5.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

ken

thanks ken so much, can i ask a question is the cv5 as powerful as alo mk 3B

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #135 of 867
I've not heard the V5, but the CDM is a wonderful amp. My ALO addiction means I own a new Rx, a CDM and will probably get a V5, just because...

The CDM drives my HD800s beautifully. I have the output of my Hugo turned down (light blue) and the volume control is only around a third on high gain. Dare I say it, the sound is more euphonic and musical than my Liquid Carbon, though with a touch less detail. Since I received the CDM, I've really not used the LC that much. I'm not sure about planar magnetics that need power (more importantly, current) but on high impedance headphones, run balanced, the CDM is utterly beautiful.

Even when the V5 arrives, the CDM will always have a place simply connected to my macbook pro as the most compact desktop setup I can think of that makes the HD800s sing.
The Rx is equally magical. Whatever I connect it to (Hugo, Mojo, Naim SuperUniti), it makes my Noble Kaiser 10 CIEMs sing. There is huge synergy here - Though the K10s do not need much power, their complex crossover needs driving with an amp that can supply the current swings that the corresponding impedance curve requires on music program.

Roll on the V5 - It will be extremely interesting to compare it to the Liquid Spark - I sense this will be the forum battle of the month once they are both available.

Again, congratulations to Ken and Vinni on a superb range of beautifully engineered products.

Cheers,

Peter.

PS
Does anyone have a spare pair of CDM Mullard 6112s they want to sell me? Pretty please (-:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back