Introducing the LCD-i3
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #781 of 1,041
I have a very large article comparing i10 vs i20 vs i3 on my blog. LCD-i3 is a good option if you plan to use them with advanced EQ and want to save some cash this way. Outside the EQ scenario, stick with i20 or go for i4.

Thanks (saw link on your blog and going to read it). Btw I already do some EQ directly on my Kann Alpha with the i20, the idea is to "step up" with the same kind of fit without spending too mugh for my budget. :)

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #782 of 1,041
I’ve enjoyed reading this thread and had my interest piqued with the i3. When the black Friday sale hit I had to pounce. :ksc75smile:

My goal was to upgrade my portable solution coming from the 10 and a simple pairing via cipher to my iphone, but I’m also curious about how it will sound on my PC too, so I think a USB-A to lightning connection is in my future as well.

My current desktop setup is a Modi Multibit, a Vali 2 (rolled to a warmer tube over stock) and the EL8 open back (stock cables). Any thoughts how this might compare overall to the i3 with a bare cipher to pc connection?

It’s probably a completely different animal given the tube amp influence on the EL8 and granted I don’t have an appropriate accompanying amp for the i3 for this to be a fair fight, but I wouldn’t mind comparing them anyway for grins.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #784 of 1,041
No, at least not yet. Half a year owner and still in very good shape:

UCanGa0.png

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #786 of 1,041
LCD-i3 + Roon (with Audeze preset) + RME ADI-2 DAC fs is a fantastic combination. I believe I never heard better.
Has it all: detail, deep bass, texture and above all, soul. The music is live!

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #787 of 1,041
Nice picture! Where did you get the i3 cable?

It is a cable of my own production and brand - Fanatum. 8-core silver-plated copper, rhodium-plated plug, custom gold-plated connectors, custom splitter made from exotic wood (Palisander Santos in this particular unit) with laser engraved logo. This is the first and fully finished unit.

pVRyHVi.png

It bested the stock cable not only on i3, but also on i4, which are currently loaned to me for review and I expect to finish it this week. Changes in sound versus stock i4 cable:
  • better resolution across all spectrum
  • better dynamics
  • better timbre - cable slightly darker than stock
  • much more deeper soundstage
  • slightly less wider soundstage as a compromise
  • less technical sounding
  • slightly slower, but giving more body to the sound without being sloppy
On the contrary, with LCD-i3 it is brighter than stock with every single aspect much better than thier basic flat wire. At the same time, stock i4 cable with LCD-i3 is not a good match: too shouty.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #788 of 1,041
It is a cable of my own production and brand - Fanatum. 8-core silver-plated copper, rhodium-plated plug, custom gold-plated connectors, custom splitter made from exotic wood (Palisander Santos in this particular unit) with laser engraved logo. This is the first and fully finished unit.

pVRyHVi.png

It bested the stock cable not only on i3, but also on i4, which are currently loaned to me for review and I expect to finish it this week. Changes in sound versus stock i4 cable:
  • better resolution across all spectrum
  • better dynamics
  • better timbre - cable slightly darker than stock
  • much more deeper soundstage
  • slightly less wider soundstage as a compromise
  • less technical sounding
  • slightly slower, but giving more body to the sound without being sloppy
On the contrary, with LCD-i3 it is brighter than stock with every single aspect much better than thier basic flat wire. At the same time, stock i4 cable with LCD-i3 is not a good match: too shouty.

Very nice! Will you sell it?

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #790 of 1,041
I have a LCD i3 with a LG V30 using the Cipher lightning cable + anker usb type c adapter.

When I use the UAPP app and Tidal, the setup runs great with sufficient volume.

When I use the Tidal app alone (to listen to downloaded songs when wifi/cellular is not available, ie. an airplane), turning the volume to the max, it is very low?

Is there a way to correct this? Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a work around to get sufficient volume using the Tidal app alone?

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #791 of 1,041
Will these become damaged if I let them touch in the case? Worried that the magnets will permanently warp the membranes, or something. See here, it's the "nylon transport case" that I'm talking about.

Then again, why would they give us this case which doesn't really allow us to stop them from getting stuck together if it really real ruin them? Hmmm

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #793 of 1,041
Hmmm. Ah, I didn't realize that rectangular foam thing was meant to be pulled out of the original packaging and used in the nylon transport case.

So I was just shoving them into the nylon transport case haphazardly. Which caused them to sometimes stick together, which was a bit worrisome.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #794 of 1,041
Buyer beware... And advice if possible

I have a faulty i3 that makes a popping noise in the right earpiece whenever I move the earpiece in my ear, when I move my jaw and even when walking, I believe this is due to a pressure differential making the driver pop, this only happens in the right earpiece. The popping sound is loud enough to hear even when listening to music, so makes the earphones unlistenable, as I am hearing these pops unless I sit absolutely still...

Is anyone else experiencing this??

I have contacted the UK distributor for Audeze who confirmed the set under warranty, sent them the set and after testing have told me they can only hear the fault when they push the earpiece in hard. This is completely different to my experience and I can only assume that the tester is not getting a good seal that would achieve the pressure required to evidence the fault. I explained this to them but they are unwilling to do anything further.

As a long time Audeze customer I have never had an issue with any of the Audeze models I have owned, and I find it concerning that, although faults can and do happen, Audeze are refusing to do anything about this. This is forcing me to question what I thought was a brand I could trust based on my previous purchases, and is extremely disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back