Introducing the LCD-i3
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #271 of 1,041
After reading that review, I might have to try and pick up some i4s. I ain’t paying $2400 though. I might be willing to pay half that though. I’ll shop around and look for some like new.

I purchased the 3's (first time Audeze owner) from Amazon so I would have an out just in case they wouldn't work. Found them to clearly & easily better any of the IEM's in my stable (Andro, FH7, 846, Fearless S8F, +more). So, I became curious about the delta between the i4's and the 20's so I purchased a used pair of each. The i3's are absolutely great but closer to the 20's (if you have 20's, update the cipher cable and be done) but the 4's are better in every way. You feel like you're "there" with the 3's (and a bit less with the 20's) but the 4's are trans-formative. Every nuance of the event subtly presented without exaggeration. Staging matches my Stax 009's and 007's (using all tube direct drive amp). These are end game IEM's for me. Some reviewers note the i4's are less efficient than the 20's and i3's - this is true but it won't be a problem with most phone headphone sources. Finally - lots of reviewers complaining about sound leakage (for example public use) - my experience is that the leakage is there but really minimal - mostly high frequency content and most everyone wont notice (except perhaps on a night plane flight).

If you can find a used set of i4's ~ $1500, IMO, that's worth the difference. If you never heard the i4's you'll be thrilled with the 3's (and 20's). BTW - All of these comments are based on using the _latest_ version of the cipher cable (V2 - with the V2 profile). As it tuned out, my used i4's came with a V2 cable that was flashed with the iSine (20's) profile (I have the test gear to perform accurate FR & THDN measurements). I contacted Chris @ Audeze and he flashed both cables to the latest profile - no charge - outstanding customer service. On all three (IMO),the V2 profile is a must have. BTW - the V2 cable provides diff (not single ended) amp output.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #272 of 1,041
Really, I´ve read this review too. The conclusion is that the lcdi3 aren`t too far apart in terms of overall signature. It´s maybe a difference of 10-15% in sound quality. Treble on i3 is a bit smoother too, i4 has a overall brighter sound. Many times noticeable the word "a bit". For the price point it´s hard to justify the price difference to lcdi4, but I think this point is always debatable.
The price of the i4 is the problem. For me, any in ear over $1000 is too much, and not worth it IMO

Oct 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #274 of 1,041
I purchased the i3’s about a month ago. I am really enjoying them so far. I purchased an Anker USB-C to lightening audio adapter cable to use the cipher cable with my LG v35. This is a very good pairing. I have also purchased a Norne Silvergrade SX (21awg) - round braid to pair with my Astell & Kern Kann Cube. The cable has really opened up the i3’s to a new level. There is more detail, wider soundstage, and improved width when using the SX cable. This is my preferred pairing so far. I also like the Bluetooth cable pairing with the LG v35, connecting via AptX HD. But on iPhone/iPad, the best solution for me is the cipher cable. I really like the fact that Audeze has made such a flexible and great sounding product.

I have Focal Clears and Stellias, but I keep reaching for the i3’s. I have also changed the eartips with Spinfit and this has improved deep base. I think the Audeze eartips are a little too soft and flexible to create the best seal for my ears. I have heard the i4 before and I may upgrade to them someday because they are really awesome. For now, I am really happy with the i3.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #275 of 1,041
After reading that review, I might have to try and pick up some i4s. I ain’t paying $2400 though. I might be willing to pay half that though. I’ll shop around and look for some like new.
The price of the i4 is the problem. For me, any in ear over $1000 is too much, and not worth it IMO
I used to feel the same way. Got the i4 "used" on Amazon for $1600, no tax, and 12mo interest free financing. After 2 weeks, left driver failed, I hit up Audeze, and they did a warranty exchange. So, NEW pair . These things are amazing.

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #276 of 1,041
Oct 12, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #277 of 1,041
Has anyone tried a usb A to C apter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PRFSRH5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 into a windows 10 pc or laptop, then use the anker cable to convert between usb C and lightning into the cipher cable? I worry that the usb A adapter will not allow the anker cable to communicate with the computer to receive an audio single. I would really appreciate it if anyone has information on this.
Haven't used that one, but Hidizs Sonata comes with a similar connector. The fact that it says USB OTG, means it's capable of sending days, meaning it should work fine.

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #278 of 1,041
I got my i3’s a few weeks ago... and they were damaged so I had to send them back for replacement but I now have to wait until end of the month for the replacement as the supplier is out of stock... :frowning2: so I’m experiencing it here vicariously!! :)

I know the LCD i4’s are burnt in before they are sent out as Audeze show that process in one of their videos... but does anyone know if they burn in the i3’s?
Thanks

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #279 of 1,041
I would also add that I found a clear difference between the 20’s and the i3... the only time I felt there wasn’t much in it was using the BT cables... I found the biggest jump was when I used my own aftermarket cables and my mojo... that was a WOW for me...

I generally use an iPhone XS Max with Meenova cable with mojo using Qobuz... though I also tried them with Tidal, Spotify Amazon HD and Apple Music/match... but Qobuz is the better with Hi Res imho .. and with lesser quality CD etc

I really enjoyed my 10’s and went to the 20’s which I loved... but these i3’s simply outdo those changes between moving up from 10 to 20...I have had the BT cipher cable with my 20’s and I’ve had both the V1 and V2 cipher cable which I had with my 10’s and 20’s before I bought the i3’s ... so I have tried all the combinations as well as using the old and newer Audeze app...

I found that using those cables and the mojo with some EQ that I was more immersed in the music than I ever was with the 10’s and 20’s... the soundstage was so wide and I couldn’t hear a thing going on around me.... funnily enough I got the most lively sound using the cheapest cable I had...!

I also got a big difference in the sound when I used a set of double flanged Spin Fits... the 230 .., that considerably improved the fit and comfort plus the hold was far better and the openness of the sound improved to a noticeable degree... I find the double flanged spin fits really lift the whole experience.... it was the same with my 20’s...

I’m glad I broke my budget by getting them I only hope I will have enough in the budget by the time the new mojo arrives later this year...

Just for reference I currently have the SE535’s, RHA CL2 and the RHA T20 wireless... having previously owned the iSine 10 and 20 plus some other mid level iems...

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #281 of 1,041
New Mojo? Please tell me more...:)

It’s speculation on the basis of the official drop in price of the current model last month and also taking into account that Chord have booked a number of presentations to Hi-Fi media invitation only coming up... which some are speculating are launch shows ... so something is coming...

And try asking Chord direct and you get “I am under strict instructions not to discuss anything regarding your enquiry”

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #282 of 1,041
I would also add that I found a clear difference between the 20’s and the i3... the only time I felt there wasn’t much in it was using the BT cables... I found the biggest jump was when I used my own aftermarket cables and my mojo... that was a WOW for me...

I generally use an iPhone XS Max with Meenova cable with mojo using Qobuz... though I also tried them with Tidal, Spotify Amazon HD and Apple Music/match... but Qobuz is the better with Hi Res imho .. and with lesser quality CD etc

I really enjoyed my 10’s and went to the 20’s which I loved... but these i3’s simply outdo those changes between moving up from 10 to 20...I have had the BT cipher cable with my 20’s and I’ve had both the V1 and V2 cipher cable which I had with my 10’s and 20’s before I bought the i3’s ... so I have tried all the combinations as well as using the old and newer Audeze app...

I found that using those cables and the mojo with some EQ that I was more immersed in the music than I ever was with the 10’s and 20’s... the soundstage was so wide and I couldn’t hear a thing going on around me.... funnily enough I got the most lively sound using the cheapest cable I had...!

I also got a big difference in the sound when I used a set of double flanged Spin Fits... the 230 .., that considerably improved the fit and comfort plus the hold was far better and the openness of the sound improved to a noticeable degree... I find the double flanged spin fits really lift the whole experience.... it was the same with my 20’s...

I’m glad I broke my budget by getting them I only hope I will have enough in the budget by the time the new mojo arrives later this year...

Just for reference I currently have the SE535’s, RHA CL2 and the RHA T20 wireless... having previously owned the iSine 10 and 20 plus some other mid level iems...

Could you share your eq settings? Would like to try my i3 with something like a cobalt over uapp but need to know how to eq them.

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #283 of 1,041
I purchased the i3’s about a month ago. I am really enjoying them so far. I purchased an Anker USB-C to lightening audio adapter cable to use the cipher cable with my LG v35. This is a very good pairing. I have also purchased a Norne Silvergrade SX (21awg) - round braid to pair with my Astell & Kern Kann Cube. The cable has really opened up the i3’s to a new level. There is more detail, wider soundstage, and improved width when using the SX cable. This is my preferred pairing so far. I also like the Bluetooth cable pairing with the LG v35, connecting via AptX HD. But on iPhone/iPad, the best solution for me is the cipher cable. I really like the fact that Audeze has made such a flexible and great sounding product.

I have Focal Clears and Stellias, but I keep reaching for the i3’s. I have also changed the eartips with Spinfit and this has improved deep base. I think the Audeze eartips are a little too soft and flexible to create the best seal for my ears. I have heard the i4 before and I may upgrade to them someday because they are really awesome. For now, I am really happy with the i3.

So do you think it competes well with full sized headphones? I really would like a more transportable open back headphone, which wasn't really possible before the isine and i3/4 models.

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #284 of 1,041
So do you think it competes well with full sized headphones? I really would like a more transportable open back headphone, which wasn't really possible before the isine and i3/4 models.

You didn't ask me but I'll chime in and say yes absolutely. I dont really miss my full size cans at all. I bought the i3 and sold my hifimans for the very reason you cited. It basically is a portable full size open back. And with cipher, they dont need a standalone amp or dac to sound good.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #285 of 1,041
You didn't ask me but I'll chime in and say yes absolutely. I dont really miss my full size cans at all. I bought the i3 and sold my hifimans for the very reason you cited. It basically is a portable full size open back. And with cipher, they dont need a standalone amp or dac to sound good.

No, I more than welcome it. I kind of fallen out of favour with iem's, for even the ones that are considered "open" and "airy", aren't at all when compared to full size open headphones. They make too much of my music sound cramped and claustrophobic in comparison. Unfair, I know. But, it’s just not a sound that works for me, even for recording that a mixed more intimately. As a 'transportable' unit for home or away, I think these would work great then. I guess now all I have to do is try them at home. As a side note, did you ever get the cipher cable to work on a computer using that anker adapter? Some have and some have not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back