Introducing the LCD-i3
Oct 16, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #286 of 1,041
No, I more than welcome it. I kind of fallen out of favour with iem's, for even the ones that are considered "open" and "airy", aren't at all when compared to full size open headphones. They make too much of my music sound cramped and claustrophobic in comparison. Unfair, I know. But, it’s just not a sound that works for me, even for recording that a mixed more intimately. As a 'transportable' unit for home or away, I think these would work great then. I guess now all I have to do is try them at home. As a side note, did you ever get the cipher cable to work on a computer using that anker adapter? Some have and some have not.
Yes the i3 sounds open and airy like real full size cans. When you first put them on it's a little jarring just how open they sound. Can't comment on the anker computer setup unfortunately. I use my anker cable into a samsung note.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #287 of 1,041
No, I more than welcome it. I kind of fallen out of favour with iem's, for even the ones that are considered "open" and "airy", aren't at all when compared to full size open headphones. They make too much of my music sound cramped and claustrophobic in comparison. Unfair, I know. But, it’s just not a sound that works for me, even for recording that a mixed more intimately. As a 'transportable' unit for home or away, I think these would work great then. I guess now all I have to do is try them at home. As a side note, did you ever get the cipher cable to work on a computer using that anker adapter? Some have and some have not.

I have the iSine 20. They have a different signature than the other IEMs I own, both in tuning and in being essentially open. I still like headphones, closed and open, and my IEMs - depends on my mood.

I got the Cipher cable to work on my MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and Windows 10 Alienware laptop.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #288 of 1,041
So do you think it competes well with full sized headphones? I really would like a more transportable open back headphone, which wasn't really possible before the isine and i3/4 models.

I think it competes quite well with full sized headphones. If anything, the sound appears a little bigger with full sized headphones. However, I don’t often reach for my Stellia's or Clears over the i3’s. I am thinking that if Audeze comes out with an i5 eventually, this could be end game for me.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #289 of 1,041
I think it competes quite well with full sized headphones. If anything, the sound appears a little bigger with full sized headphones. However, I don’t often reach for my Stellia's or Clears over the i3’s. I am thinking that if Audeze comes out with an i5 eventually, this could be end game for me.
You didn't like the i4? Those are endgame for me, out of the right portable DAC/amp

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #290 of 1,041

Still be cheaper than obravo's stuff. :darthsmile:

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #293 of 1,041
I really enjoyed the i4. I was thinking that by the time I save up for the i4, Audeze will release the i5. Of course, this is pure speculation. But I think the i4 would be end game for me too.
I think they'd have to make the LCD-5 first.

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #295 of 1,041
So I had a chance to audition the LCD-i3 today at Paris Audio Video show and I must say I am positively impressed as they are not that far from the LCD-i4 (which by the way I have owned it for a few months and was able to A/B today). In fact since they’re easier to drive there are scenario where I believe the i3 might (relatively) sound better out of a DAP...

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #296 of 1,041
I also really enjoy the LCD-i3 straight out of my Hugo 2. I am yet to try them with the cipher/bluetooth cables.
I previously had the iSine 20s, which I didn't use too much to be honest. The i3 are markedly better to my mind.

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #297 of 1,041
I also really enjoy the LCD-i3 straight out of my Hugo 2. I am yet to try them with the cipher/bluetooth cables.
I previously had the iSine 20s, which I didn't use too much to be honest. The i3 are markedly better to my mind.
Hi,
Could you compare them to your Solaris and Aeon flow in terms of soundstage and detail ? I too own a Hugo 2. looking to add a quality IEM to my collection.

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #298 of 1,041
Hi,
Could you compare them to your Solaris and Aeon flow in terms of soundstage and detail ? I too own a Hugo 2. looking to add a quality IEM to my collection.

It's still early days but the one thing I can say from the get-go is that the Aeon Flow Closed is a completely different beast being a full sized closed back headphone.
I will make sure to get back to you on that in due course.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #299 of 1,041
Sooo... any comparisons to EL-8? Preferably closed?
Judging by the impressions I read here they're supposed to outperform the EL-8, and I'm guessing they have a more relaxed sound signature but I just want to make sure before pulling the trigger.

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #300 of 1,041
I do think the i3 sounds better than the 20 but it's not a huge jump. There is a big jump from the 20 to the i4 though.

Really?
I have the 20 and i4, to me the difference is hard to tell.

It is kinda what I suspected. It's from $600 (20) to $900 (i3), but the increase seems more attributed to the packaging. You're getting two extra cable options (whether you want them or not) and new/better earpiece chassis. After factoring in profit, don't see much room for sound development in there. But then Audeze did say it's a new diaphragm...

Mostly you're getting Magnesium body. isine20, while near State Of The Art IEM, look and feel like free earphones they give you on an airplane. If i3 is built as well as i4 (they share do share same body, Audeze says) that's a huge jump. Cipher and Bluetooth adaptor are a bonus.

Although, why would anyone use Bluetooth adaptor with Audeze planars, near best IEM on Earth? Jogging, maybe, other than that, it's like upgrading to Diamond tweeters on BW loudspeakers, and then putting a pillows on tweeters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back