Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #436 of 776
Hello everyone, thank you for the feedback about the volume issue you met with EF400. We will reflect it to our related department for further inspection. :-D
Hifiman, any news on the fix for this issue? Reason is I was planning on using it with my dap or phone when I'm in the living room to listen to my music.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #437 of 776
While the EF400 seems to be made for use with planars, has anyone tried it with ZMF dynamic driver HPs? Curious about the synergy. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #439 of 776
I just discovered EF400 in local audio store. It's sound attracted me from the first listening :) so I borrowed it for a week. After some testing I have some first conclusions (sorry, but I didn't check all previous posts in here, there is quite a lot):

//Source is my PC with Tidal Hifi Plus and Roon by proper USB cable
///Headphones used: GoldPlanar GL2K-D, Sundara, ATH W1000Z, ATH W5000, HD600, iBasso SR2, Denon D7200

1) I think it is already well known and I can confirm - balanced outputs here are much better (cleaner, more precise sound). SE on some headphones is very distorted. Often I noticed that particular instruments or vocals sounded off or strange.
2) general characteristic is very similar to tubes (especially Mullard or Toshiba) - I have xDuoo TA20 (with NOS tubes produced for Baldwin by Toshiba from 63y ) and EF400 has the same "creamy" style which I like (TA20 I am using occasionally for its midrange and vocals, but it lacks overall quality)
3) going to better external amp (even only with RCA outputs and using the same 4.4 mm symmetrical cable with adapter to 6.3 mm) quickly shows downsides of EF400 internal amp. It creates big soundstage but lacks of precision unfortunately. With balanced output on EF400 (even it appeared to me clean and smooth) I started to be confused and couldn't focus on music in a way I am used to. I turned out that soundstage is strange. I can't locate sounds in space precisely even if I try hard. And I find it not really holographic around the head (with Goldplanar GL2K or ATH W1000Z just as example). Maybe because EF400 is wide, but the depth is compromised. Try for example tracks like Mazolewski Quintet - Crazy Girl or Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles.
4) there is "static" noise (like with electrified clothes) in the background - very quiet but distracting and annoying. It appears in the same part of the particular song every time.
5) going to my usual DAC /which is amazing PC sound card AIM SC808 (sic! but I didn't find better DAC for my preferences yet under 2K USD) upgraded with Korean opamps including RCA buffer + my Divaldi AMP with upgraded power supply/
shows how much music is lost with plenty of small details.. It is different level of resolution and clarity but still not as clinical as Topping or Matrix Audio products.

However even with all this disadvantages I really understand why the sound produced by EF400 is so enjoyable for many. This kind of smoothness and "natural, organic" feeling is what I am seeking for also. But I realized that there is too much to give up. And I am starting to think that this will be usually the case.. Less fatiguing and more "fluid" sound must be somehow less precise? At least with digital sources, because analog is a different story :)

One question - did anyone compare EF400 with other R2R DACs like Denafrips Ares II using external AMP?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #440 of 776
3) going to better external amp (even only with RCA outputs and using the same 4.4 mm symmetrical cable with adapter to 6.3 mm) quickly shows downsides of EF400 internal amp. It creates big soundstage but lacks of precision unfortunately. With balanced output on EF400 (even it appeared to me clean and smooth) I started to be confused and couldn't focus on music in a way I am used to. I turned out that soundstage is strange. I can't locate sounds in space precisely even if I try hard. And I find it not really holographic around the head (with Goldplanar GL2K or ATH W1000Z just as example). Maybe because EF400 is wide, but the depth is compromised. Try for example tracks like Mazolewski Quintet - Crazy Girl or Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed this. There definitely isn't a good holographic placement of instruments with EF400. In my testing I got better placement with Mojo or micro iDSD Signature.

Was there an improvement in this region using am external Amp?

Oct 20, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #441 of 776
Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed this. There definitely isn't a good holographic placement of instruments with EF400. In my testing I got better placement with Mojo or micro iDSD Signature.

Was there an improvement in this region using am external Amp?
Some improvement yes, but only other DAC gave this holographic space. With EF400 there wasn't enough position precision and clarity for me to enhance fully 3D effect even with external amp which i know can handle this using other DAC

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #442 of 776
One question - did anyone compare EF400 with other R2R DACs like Denafrips Ares II using external AMP?
I have compared both outputing to A90D. In short, the Ares II has better tonality, richness, more precise imaging, better resolution/detail.

Both have distinct, natural R-2R, musical sound. But Ares II is a clear step up or two from the Himalayan DAC built-in the EF400.

EF400 sounds like a mid tier ~$500 DAC.
Ares II sounds like a upper tier $1000+ DAC. Just better refinement throughout overall.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #444 of 776
How does it compare soundwise with the micro idsd Signature
They are both good and sound-wise perform at a similar level most of the time with the EF400 edging out the Signature by a small margin. The EF400 has more power so it should be able to drive that last 5% of hard to drive headphones better. By default, the EF400 has a neutral sound signature while the Signature adds a bit of warmth.

Love the xBass on the Signature, pairs nicely with HiFiMan Headphones. The perceived Soundstage is slightly wider on the EF400 and Image placement is sligntly more coherent on the Signature. EF400 has that R2R musicality that I liked in the Cayin RU6 while the Signature does not have that quality, Overall differences aren't that big so I will be happy with either device.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #445 of 776
They are both good and sound-wise perform at a similar level most of the time with the EF400 edging out the Signature by a small margin. The EF400 has more power so it should be able to drive that last 5% of hard to drive headphones better. By default, the EF400 has a neutral sound signature while the Signature adds a bit of warmth.

Love the xBass on the Signature, pairs nicely with HiFiMan Headphones. The perceived Soundstage is slightly wider on the EF400 and Image placement is sligntly more coherent on the Signature. EF400 has that R2R musicality that I liked in the Cayin RU6 while the Signature does not have that quality, Overall differences aren't that big so I will be happy with either device.
I'm actually waiting to receive the EF400 that I recently purchased based on the reviews about how the pair really well with the Hifimans.
I own the Arya's SE and have them currently paired with the Ifi micro Signature and they do pair very nicely, but I thought I might like the more relaxed sound of the EF400, since i tend to be more treble sensitive. I actually put Signatures up for sale since I cant financially keep both, hoping I made right decision.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #446 of 776
I'm actually waiting to receive the EF400 that I recently purchased based on the reviews about how the pair really well with the Hifimans.
I own the Arya's SE and have them currently paired with the Ifi micro Signature and they do pair very nicely, but I thought I might like the more relaxed sound of the EF400, since i tend to be more treble sensitive. I actually put Signatures up for sale since I cant financially keep both, hoping I made right decision.
I think you'll enjoy the EF400 just make sure to Burn-In the DAC for a few hours and also use Balanced outputs for best sound. I've tried Sundara (2020) & Edition XS on my unit and both sounded good so yes, HiFiMan Headphones do pair nicely with this DAC/Amp. I would not call it relaxed sounding though, it's not harsh or analytical like some ESS DACs but it's also not warm like most older iFi or some Shanling DACs.

Oct 26, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #449 of 776
Hi there, our professional staff has tested and there is no problem. If there is any specific case, feel free to email us at customerservice@hifiman.com so that we can look into it and see how we can help? Thank you for your support!
there is a peoblem with android. low volume. a lot of people have experience it. dang

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #450 of 776
there is a peoblem with android. low volume. a lot of people have experience it. dang
Got this issue (mostly hum) with my Pixel Phone too, but i got this on every gear i use it with. Seems to be a ground loop from the phone port. At all, the phone had several kernel bugs (implementing USB Driver for external DAC) since release. So, i bet it is more an Android device thing.

But i only could talk about, what i personally experienced. 🙃✌🏻

@TeamHiFiMAN I am more interested in, why so many dealers still sell an EF400 REF 2/ V2? You've demented it a while ago. So, where does this stubborn info come from?

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back