Introducing the Dacamp L1, flagship CL1 Ceramic and CL750 from RHA
Aug 27, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #61 of 515
They should definitely consider including a 2.5 TRRS to mini XLR adapter. Or at least sell us one.

So, nice to see these finally hitting the streets. If the L1 feels anything like the prototype I saw last year then it will be such a nice device to use. Having the classic treble and bass dials, yummy and retro. Like that.

I would like to know more about the specs and power output single ended and balanced?

Re: mini-XLR, I like that plug, but did we really need another standard? For IEMs, I have 3.5 TRRS balanced for HM-901, 2.5mm for AK and the like, RSA/Alo Kobiconn for Liquid Carbon and Gloveaudio A1 etc. why does everyone need a special connector? Sigh. Anyhow, with adapters I don't mind, but please have some available to purchase, so we can use the L1 im balanced mode with IEMs with different connectors.

Good timing as well, right in time when the 3.5mm port might disappear from the next iPhone - smart move so people can connect iPhone directly to L1 and continue to use 3.5mm.

Am looking forward trying them out!

The 4-pin mini xlr isn't widely used but it's also nothing new. I've been using a Musical Fidelity amp with the same output for several months now. It even came with a pair of balanced headphones with a stock mini 4-pin cable.

And there are a number of audiophiles using universal custom cables with 4-pin mini xlr terminations and adapters that can fit most any headphone jack (full size xlr, Kobiconn, and 2.5/3.5/6.3mm balanced or SE). Won't need to use any adapter with those cables and the Dacamp.

However, I would've also preferred a 3.5mm balanced out (must be a good reason why they didn't use it). Also, 2.5mm is too fragile and based on the photos (imo) RHA appears to be going for durability but you should contact Trevor over at Norne Audio if you need an adapter. He made a very nice Hypershort 4-pin mini xlr to 3.5mm balanced adapter for me.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #62 of 515
The 4-pin mini xlr isn't widely used but it's also nothing new. I've been using a Musical Fidelity amp with the same output for several months now. It even came with a pair of balanced headphones with a stock mini 4-pin cable.

And there are a number of audiophiles using universal custom cables with 4-pin mini xlr terminations and adapters that can fit most any headphone jack (full size xlr, Kobiconn, and 2.5/3.5/6.3mm balanced or SE). Won't need to use any adapter with those cables and the Dacamp.

However, I would've also preferred a 3.5mm balanced out (must be a good reason why they didn't use it). Also, 2.5mm is too fragile and based on the photos (imo) RHA appears to be going for durability but you should contact Trevor over at Norne Audio if you need an adapter. He made a very nice Hypershort 4-pin mini xlr to 3.5mm balanced adapter for me.

Yes, I know it's not new, but also not widely used. I would have preferred balanced 3.5mm as well but hey. BTG-audio makes amazing adapters - all mine are from Brian and Q-Audio. And i have more than I think is reasonable. It's just another adapter...I already have so many, as well for headphone cables, Audeze to Hifiman old, Hifiman old to Hifiman new (for headphones though and surprise - works for Oppo PM-2as well) - then the MMCX used by RHA is "custom" as well....sigh.

Norne is very nice as well, have a balanced Audeze cable (with Kobiconn) from them.

In general, I like the mini XLR connection, solid and sturdy. But again, not very widespread and again something I need additional adapters for, ah well.

Can't wait to try all these new goodies out. Love my T20 still to bits.

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #64 of 515
The DacAmp L1 is priced the same as the Mojo. That's putting RHA into unknown territory for them. They are up against Chord. Can they compete?

Its balanced tho..

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #66 of 515
  The DacAmp L1 is priced the same as the Mojo. That's putting RHA into unknown territory for them. They are up against Chord. Can they compete?

Its balanced tho..

Balanced output is supposed to give more dynamic range and lower distortion but the single ended mojo beats this in both aspects
dynamic range, mojo 125db vs L1 111db
THD, mojo 0.00017 vs L1 0.0018
also the Dacamp is less powerful and a higher output impedence 2.2ohm vs 0.075ohm and lets not talk about the ess chip vs chords proprietary dac software. so in terms of sound quality no they can't compete.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #67 of 515
Balanced output is supposed to give more dynamic range and lower distortion but the single ended mojo beats this in both aspects
also the Dacamp is less powerful and a higher output impedence 2.2ohm vs 0.075ohm and lets not talk about the ess chip vs chords proprietary dac software. so in terms of sound quality no they can't compete.

I wouldn't be so fast with that assumption without having heard them. Specs are one thing....I had the mojo for review and so far haven't bought it yet as I have the ifi iDSD micro and a HM-901 Dap with balanced card.

The 901 is actually pretty similar to the L1, dual ESS chip and fully balanced amp section.

I think the mjojo is a pretty amazing DAC/amp but in my case I had no need to change as I did some blind testing and couldn't hear a significant difference between mojo and what I already had. But if you are in the market for a DAC/amp the mojo and the L1 are contenders for sure.

Cheers.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #68 of 515

LOL, this post sure comes with a lot of assumptions about something you have not heard.

Yeah, the Mojo is good but imo there's several competitors that keeps up with it in sound (some also with the ESS chip).

It all depends on what you're going to use it with and what your preferences are.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #69 of 515
I'm definitely going to put the Dacamp L1 up against my HA-2. I may even order the Mojo at the same time and do a three-way shootout. These are the only three portable DAC/amps that I have an interest in. Shamefully, this is partly because aesthetics matter to me more than they probably should. If I pay a significant amount for a product, it has to look, feel, and sound good. That goes for headphones too, with exception of the Bragi Dash haha. It looks great and I love the concept but it is, by far, the lowest fidelity product I have haha. I may get rid of it to make room for that CL1 and add something like the Noble BTS so I can still go wireless... decisions decisions :/

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #70 of 515
Hmm, perhaps the L1 will make me hold back on buying a balanced dap, and give me incentive to upgrade my phone to one with a mSD slot, or just use Tidal.  Either way, I'm curious to see how well received the L1.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #72 of 515
Really interested in the two new in ears, I have the ma750's and RHA have great customer service,  I was considering the T20's as my next upgrade but will have to hold off for now and wait for these to enter the market

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #74 of 515
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/family?key=ssmcx

SSMCX Coaxial RF Connectors

is this being used?

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #75 of 515
  The more I chew on it, the more I think that RHA have nailed it! @RHA Team will there be any sort of Head-Fi preorder special deal on an L1+CL1 bundle?

+1!!! If they make a discounted bundle on the CL1/Dacamp L1, I will definitely pull the trigger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back