Introducing The Cozoy Astrapi: Hi-Res Lineout audio from your iOS/Android device!
Jun 11, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #108 of 188
Can i also ask, if I find the Cozoy does the job, but is not loud enough (and I'm unkeen to amp it), what should I exactly be googling for that is basically a Cozoy with more power? 'usb-dac android'? Something like that? Or are there other well known devices that do this already that I am unaware of?

Cheers,

Bruce

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #109 of 188
  Can i also ask, if I find the Cozoy does the job, but is not loud enough (and I'm unkeen to amp it), what should I exactly be googling for that is basically a Cozoy with more power? 'usb-dac android'? Something like that? Or are there other well known devices that do this already that I am unaware of?

Cheers,

Bruce

basically any portable amplifier will increase your maximum possible volume level. the purpose of the dac is to convert the digital signals that your phone makes into analog signals that can be sent to amplifiers or headphones. note your phone already has a dac inside, but people buy external dacs basically to improve the sound quality. amplifiers are also said to improve sound quality as well via giving additional power to headphone drivers that can improve their performance.

so really any portable amplifier will be able to connect through your phone via the headphone jack and increase desired loudness. with a portable dac/amp combos, you just connect via the micro-usb port and the external dac converts the signal rather than the one built into the phone.

some things to keep in mind for IEM usage is that you want low output impedance on the amp to prevent hissing/noise in the background. A general helpful rule of thumb is to have the impedance of your headphones x8 greater than the output impedance of the amplifier. beyond that, most portable amplifiers should be sufficient to drive IEMs to deafening volumes, so there isn't really too much to worry about.

for your power question, you will look at the power ratings specs. look for the 'continuous average power' (often written with RMS) at the impedance of your headphones rather than peak/maximum power as average power is more indicative of real-world performance. Peak/Max power is simply the highest power that can be generated during a test... the amplifier may not actually operate at that power rating very often in real-world usage.

hope this information was helpful! cheers

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #110 of 188
Yes thanks that was helpful. It would have to be the usb port driving the headphones as my Samsung Galaxy K Zoom HO is dodgy (bad connection, pernickety etc), so I hadn't seen any small little things like the Cozoy before (which would be perfect workaround for me), I'm just unsure it will reach the desirable volumes for me. Yes I could amp with the Cozoy too, but I'd rather a all in one rather than 3 things to keep an eye on (as well as go between cables).
I already use a Fiio E9+E7 combo for pc, so I kinda understand the DAC aspect, I just haven't (till now) heard of a smartphone/Android one, and I just wondered if there were other ones on the market like the Cozoy that perhaps have a little more 'vavavoom' lol

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #111 of 188
I've got a Cozoy Astrapi on my IPhone and with T-Peos 202 in-ears I have to keep the IPhone volume down to a one or two. It's loud. Some say it makes no difference to their ears but with the TPeos it creates a fuller more lively sound. I find I use it a lot and I've got a ton of other stuff that's way more expensive but not as much fun and as portable. I like it so much I bought my teenage niece one for her IPhone.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #112 of 188
So it seems as tho the Fiio E18 might be another option, it's also $199AUD, much much bulkier, but can provide power to the phone as well as outputting far higher volumes (if needed). I can't seem to find anything else small like the Cozoy tho...

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #113 of 188
  So it seems as tho the Fiio E18 might be another option, it's also $199AUD, much much bulkier, but can provide power to the phone as well as outputting far higher volumes (if needed). I can't seem to find anything else small like the Cozoy tho...

there is currently no other product that is a dac/amp device in as small form factor as the Astrapi that I am aware of. I do believe it may be the smallest dac/amp product on the market.

There is the dac only device from stoner acoustics the ud120 (slightly larger in device from memory), not suitable for your needs though.

also usb stick devices like the audioquest dragonfly v1.2 dac/amp (slightly larger in size). other usb stick devices from geek out, hrt, meridian, schiit, audioengine etc etc (off the top of my head) but all the size of a normal usb stick so still a bit bigger. those are the closest though that you will get in terms of size. i believe the majority of these devices will require a special OTG adapter cable or Apple camera connection kit to work with smartphones.

some of the earlier fiio devices were quite small, i think e6 is a nice small square. beyerdynamic has the a200p amp/dac combo which is a small square as well.

one of the few slim portable dac/amp combos that also work natively with iPhone like the Astrapi would be the Oppo HA-2. the HA-2 is a slim rectangle though, so much larger than the Astrapi. akin to the fiio e70k/e17/e18 type devices in terms of size.

hope this was helpful

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #115 of 188
@money4me247 pretty much nailed it. There are other small-ish products out there, but nothing currently like the Astrapi in terms of physical size, weight, and low power consumption. And since this product does not need its own internal power source, for the really hard to drive stuff, you'll need an external amp. 

But this would also be the case for other mini - stick style DACs (but those would require additional messy adapter setups...

The Astrapi is definitely a step in the right direction and products will continue to adapt and get better. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #116 of 188
I have posted an in-depth review of the Cozoy Astrapi, link here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/cozoy-astrapi/reviews/13393. Wrote very detailed sonic impressions with amplifier comparisons and headphone pairings after extensive direct comparisons and testing.

I could not fit everything I wanted in the review, so I have posted this following Addendum to my review here. I have links in my review coming back here for reference.

How I approach reviewing external component reviews:

I do personally believe external component reviews are the hardest reviews to accurately write. Impressions and expectations can vary extremely widely from reviewer to reviewer. Hence, I’ve added a section describing my testing methodology for overall sonic thoughts to help you understand how to interpret and relate my impressions in a way that will be useful for you. This is actually extremely important information, but spoiler tagged as it is quite long.

The majority of the sound signature alterations and sonic attributes you will experience is primarily due to #1) your source files #2) your headphones. Hence, it is extremely important to control these two variables when testing a dac/amplifier. Excluding the source files, headphones will have the greatest contributions to any improvements in sound quality you hear and I do believe that a dac/amplifier combination will never contribute to more than ~20% of the overall sound quality. Realistically, the number is usually closer to 5-10% in my real life experiences. This is just my personal opinion from my personal experience. Feel free to have a different opinion, but this will give you a relative sense of the scale that I am referring to.

Source Files: I primarily use Spotify Premium (320kbps Ogg Vorbis) during my testing as I personally have tested myself to rarely be able to distinguish the different between lossless and lossy during double blind testing. I can distinguish between higher and lower bitrates of lossy files, hence only 320kbps files are used. However, I do also use Tidal Hi-fi and FLAC files just to be complete. I will not delve into writing about differences heard using the Astrapi between lossless and lossy as I know that I am not a reviewer that can reliably and consistently distinguish between those formats under blinded conditions.

Headphones: Some sonic characteristics may be more overly emphasized/underemphasized with specific headphone pairings. Other sonic characteristics may inherent to the headphones being used. Therefore, I test primarily using the same pair of headphones (the Oppo PM-3). Then if there are sonic aspects that I believe to be inherent/attributable to the Oppo PM-3, I will test further by using a different pair of headphones that do not have that sonic attribute.

What do the terms I use mean: None of the ‘flowery’ audiophile words I use mean anything other than the way they are defined here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary.  These are specific terms that I am applying as I am listening to particular regions of the frequency response. Not poetry.

How to interpret what I mean: How do I know which word to use? Well, I do extensive direct A/B testing using the same track (limited to <30 seconds with <5 second swap time) on the Astrapi against a control (either with no external components or with a different dac/amp combo). I use Audio Switcher, a hotkey program to rapidly switch between set-ups (found here http://sourceforge.net/projects/audioswitcher/). Each time I do a direct comparison, I will only focus on one particular region of the frequency response and listen for relative differences between my control and the Astrapi. It is an extremely tedious process, but the only accurate way to really determine sonic impressions in a way that can be useful to readers that may have vastly different background experiences, expectations, and goals (imo).

So the terms I use are RELATIVE terms on differences between the Astrapi against the control or my personal preferred sound. NOT absolute terms. Any statement on what things should sound like will be analogous to how things sound like through my primary preferred set-up (Schiit Bifrost Uber > Schiit Lyr 2 > HE-560). Therefore, if your primary set-up or preferred sound is different, your experience will be different!! You will need to find a common shared reference point for my impressions to be useful.

In the spoiler tag below is a list of notable test tracks and what qualities I used them to test for used in my direct comparisons.

***Treble Quality***
“Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele [ female vocals, chesty vocals, sibilance]
“It's All Coming Back to Me Now” by Celine Dion [airness, breathiness, and wind effects],
“Your Song” by Ellie Goulding [female vocals, sibilance, edges of notes]
“Caribbean Blue” by Enya [female vocals, sound stage]
“Concerning Hobbits” by Howard Shore from LOTR [realism of string and wind instruments]
“I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston [female vocals, power, body, fullness]
“I Want You To Know” by Zedd [female vocals]
***Mid-range Vocals***
“Stay the Best”by Anilyst [male rap vocals]
“American Pie” by Don McLean [male voices, piano]
“I See Fire” by Ed Sheeran [male vocals and edges/definition of notes, good check for raspiness]
“Come Fly With Me” by Frank Sinatra [male vocals, instrument separation]
“1973” by James Blunt [male vocals in soft rock]
“Want To Want Me” by Jason Derulo [male vocals in R&B]
“Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson [bass, male vocals, note separation]
“Welcome To The World” by T.I. [multiple male rap vocals, bass]
“Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon [male vocals]
“See You Again” by Wiz Khalifa [midrange balance, male vocals in rap, female vocals]
***Mid-range Instruments***
“Trumpet Voluntary in D Major” by Clerkenwell Baroque String Ensemble [trumpet, soundstage, imaging]
“Blue Train” by Coltrane [brass realism, imaging]
“Europa (Earth’s Cry, Heaven’s Smile)” by Gato Barbieri [brass]
“Toccata and Fugue in D Minor BWV 565” by Julian Brown [organs]
“Songbird” by Kenny G [brass]
“Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin [guitars]
“Tears of the East” by Philip Wesley [piano]
“The Cello Song” by The Piano Guys [realism for Cello]
“Clair de lune” by Robert Einstein [piano, note decay]
“Whispers In The Dark” by Skillet [metal test track, cymbals, imaging]
“ 'Round Midnight” by Sonny Rollins [instrument realism, tonality, texture, timbre for brass]
“Kiss the Rain” by Yiruma [piano realism]
***Bass Quality***
“Thunderstruck” by AC/DC [guitar speed, instrument separation, bass impact]
“Waiting for Love” by Avicii [bass quality, effects]
“Dubstep Killed Rock ‘n’ Roll” by Ephixa [bass, EDM melody, synthesized sounds]
“Elements” by Fractal [sub-bass extension]
“Concrete Angel” by Gareth Emery [EDM atmospheric effects, bass quality, female vocals]
“Aggressive Expansion” by Hans Zimmer [bass quality]
“Lean On” by Major Lazer [vocals, bass, synthesized effects]
“Hipsta” by Timmy Trumpet [bass texture]
“Earned It” by The Weekend [vocals, bass, edge of notes]
“Stab Me In The Back” by X-Japan [bass quality, percussion speed, note spacing]
***Other Sonic Attributes***
“Highway to Hell” by AC/DC [memorable song, edges to notes, cymbals, bass, guitar, instrument separation]
“Honey, I’m Good” by Andy Grammer [speed]
“Hotel California” by the Eagles [basically classic test track, always do it]
“Bright [Live for NYC]” by Echosmith [soundstage, imaging, female vocals]
“Vivaldi: Four Seasons - Concerto No. 4 in F Minor” by English Chamber Orchestra [dynamic range, sound stage, imaging]
“November Rain” by Gun N’ Roses [overall frequency response balance]
“Spirited Away - One Summer’s Day” by Joe Hisaishi [soundstage and overall frequency response balance]
“Swan Lake: Op 20, Act I: Danses des Cygnes” by L’Orchestre de La Suisse Romande [dynamic range, sound stage, imaging]
“Game of Thrones” by London Film Score Orchestra [realism to speaker setup]
“Symphony No 5 In C Sharp Minor: 4 Adagietto: Sehr Iangsam” by Mahler [realism, sound stage]
“Flight of the Bumblebee” by Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra [speed]
“Etude 12 in B Flat Minor” by Michele Campanella [tonal balance]
“Canon in D Major” by the Pimlico Quartet [string instrument realism, imaging, sound stage]
“Time [Live in London]” by Pink Floyd [soundstage, all frequency ranges]
“Game Of Thrones [Mix]” by Rameses B [random fun track for relative bass and treble emphasis with single vocal line reference point. Not suitable for judging realism]
“Thais: Act II, Meditation” by Richard Malcolm,  [dynamic range]
“1812 Overture” by Royal Philharmonic Orchestra [bass, violin realism, soundstage]
“Heartbeat” by Vicetone [fun song]

Hope this is an enjoyable read! Cheers :)

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #117 of 188
I received it and use on an iPhone wiht flac player, EQ to low the gain at 0.3 for having more room of volume control. Set the switch to vibrate mode.
Still limited to 44100Hz playback of 96000Hz...
Little compared to my sound blaster E5, but sound not as good of it... As expected.
But i will try for the summer and will see...

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #118 of 188
Just received my Astrapi and it works flawlessly with my LG G2 as well as my Linux computer. Tiny, sounds good, worth the price!

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #120 of 188
Good stuff! Can you try to compare maximum (if your hearing can take it) volumes between the HO of your G2 vs the Astrapi please, and just post your approximate impressions. Ta. :)

I am going to be out and about with the G2/Astrapi for several hours, so will try to get some comparisons posted when I return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back