Introducing the CORINA Electrostatic Reference Headphone
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #301 of 320
Another couple of awards for Corina...

Headfonia https://www.headfonia.com/headfonia-2023-awards-part-1/

1703789151922.png

And also from Headphonics:

1703789237855.png

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #302 of 320
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #303 of 320
I just received my pair yesterday, replacing an unfortunately oft-cable-breaking set of Stax SR-007 MK1s (If it wasn't for that flaw I think I would have held these until my dying days :) ). My primary chain is a Matrix X-Sabre Pro MQA (filter 3) through a Mjolnir Audio Carbon CC with matching XLRs from the DAC. While still early in my listening experience and related burn in I am REALLY enjoying these. I was looking at the usual suspects in this price range - Stax SR-009S, Audeze CRBN and of course the Corina and trying to be realistic in not expecting a drop in replacement for the SR-007s (or a massive jump in quality across the board either), I focused more on sound-signature discussions from reliable reviews as I have no store remotely local to check them all out in person. I think the majority of reviewers hit the nail on the head in presentation in particular I'd agree most closely with the TechPowerUp review. It's a clean, tight, impactful sound that favours efficiency and clarity without sounding sterile imho. As often noted bass is a little low for my preference but a minor adjustment in Roon PEQ for me has added just enough warmth without destroying to already beautiful character (1.5DB Low Shelf @83hz, Q .6) and -2 Headroom to be safe), to be clear though this is just preference and not a disparagement on the natural signature. Vocals....my god, they are stunningly presented here. I tend to focus more on the instrumental side of a broad range of genres (a lot of Indie, soundtrack, epic, electronica and of course my beloved C64 remixes :) ) but I've really gravitated towards the indie and vocal heavy side of my library in the latter half of my listening so far. It's transformative here imho and honestly I think the best compliment I could give to any piece of audio technology is it's making me listen anew to tracks I had ignored for a long time and gaining a whole new level of appreciation for those I already love. I've been sitting here with a huge smile listening to tracks like Agnes Obel's 'Familiar', Aurora's 'Running with the Wolves' and so many others. To all at DCA thank you for this gift.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #304 of 320
What’s the least expensive amp that would drive these well?

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #305 of 320
I’ve tried it on Stax SRD7 MK2 to a Pass Labs INT30, Kgsshv, Kggg and megatron. They all sounded pretty good and gets better with each step up. It is really pretty special off the megatron.

Have not tried any of the stax amps so I can’t speak to those.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #306 of 320
I’ve tried it on Stax SRD7 MK2 to a Pass Labs INT30, Kgsshv, Kggg and megatron. They all sounded pretty good and gets better with each step up. It is really pretty special off the megatron.

Have not tried any of the stax amps so I can’t speak to those.
Cool. I can’t even find those first two for sale new.

Is there an inexpensive amp I can buy that’s still being made today that can drive Corina?

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #307 of 320
Cool. I can’t even find those first two for sale new.

Is there an inexpensive amp I can buy that’s still being made today that can drive Corina?
when you say inexpensive, what range are you looking for?

There are a couple of kgsshv in the classifieds for around $2k.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #308 of 320
when you say inexpensive, what range are you looking for?

There are a couple of kgsshv in the classifieds for around $2k.
New. Not used. Not secondhand. $1000 or less.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #309 of 320
I don’t know of any amps in that price range that will drive the Corina well.

Topping eha5 is $400 but I’ve never tried it so I can’t speak to the pairing.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #310 of 320
The folks in the Stax thread don't have positive things to say about the EHA5. Not sure if it's based on actual evidence or not but it's worth noting and looking into.

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #311 of 320
Yeah, I would think the EHA5 wouldn’t do a great job. With estats, there’s really not a mid market like amps in the dynamic headphones world (at least not at this time). To get the best out of the Corina you really have to get a higher-end amp. Woo amps in the $1300-$1600 would be serviceable but I can’t imagine you would get the layering, detail and bass from these sub $2000 amps. Corina has a lot to offer but with a low-end amp you would miss much of it. Save up and get a high end amp boys and girls.

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #312 of 320
The Corina is a $4500 electrostatic headphone. To require a <$1000 amp new seems odd, particularly since many of the rules of thumb that apply to normal headphones don't translate to electrostatics (primarily capacitive load and all that). There's the $1300 Mjolnir Audio Octave v4 which should have enough power to drive it better than a Stax SRM-353x/400s. That's basically the best you can get new at anything close to $1000. You can try it out on the EHA-5, but that amp rolls off hard in the bass (based on measurements that another estat amp builder did - see the ASR thread for info), and a few people have reported that amp shutting down when certain high-volume sounds are being played (see the EHA-5 thread here on Head-Fi).

My experience is that the Corina is quite current-dependent on its amp. Dan Clark reportedly uses the BHSE in-house for development, and that's the best pairing that I've found for it. I did not think it sounded good on the current-limited Woo 3ES (hence price isn't any indication of good performance): the bass was soft and limp. The Corina had a lot more hard-hitting bass when played on the BHSE.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #313 of 320
New. Not used. Not secondhand. $1000 or less.

I would look second hand. You'll find that many people here take care of their gear and stat amps are generally more expensive. Under $1k you won't find a really good amp new. Under $2k used there are quite a few solid options. And as mentioned above, I personally wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on headphones just to underpower them.

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #315 of 320
I am listening to the Corina this evening on a RSA B-21 Raider Prototype and the Corina has strong bass and absolutely none of the siblience associated with an electrostatic headphone. Actually you wouldn't even think it is an electrostatic headphone given it's performance on the B-21 Raider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back