Introducing the CORINA Electrostatic Reference Headphone
Feb 27, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #61 of 320
I don't post detailed impressions based on show listening, but I loved what I heard from the Corina. When I got into electrostatics, the ethereal sound was part of the appeal, but I've come to prefer headphones that have more body in the upper midrange. Corina fits that to a T. It is on my buy list.
Glad you enjoyed them! Would you mind posting in the impressions thread, there are only a couple of comments...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 27, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #62 of 320
Feb 27, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #63 of 320
On the topic of e-stats vs. ethereal, my long term experience is that "ethereal" is their mainstream quality, with mid-level e-stats and energizers. Where (some) dynamic and orthos may sound "hard", and it might be cured with top quality upstream, the e-stats tend to sound "ethereal" rather than "hard".
It's no news that as we move towards the higher end, the sound becomes fuller and with more body and definition as well.

My current top preference, a unique piece made by Phenomenon sounds fuller, including more bass slam than hard hitter dynamic champ headphones (including the Fostex TH900, Denon D9200, Focal Utopia and Stellia), leaving the Stax 007 (all versions) in the dust (IME), while the treble region is far smoother. In that respect it resembles a good orthodynamic, but has better to far better musical and spatial resolution. Every listening session is jaw dropping - I am sure many people have experienced that possibly with multiple headphone systems and I don't claim it would be the best available, but I have yet to hear something more to my liking.

I have also heard the labeled-ethereal Stax X9000 sounding full-bodied and with full dynamic swing in a sound stage without any "holes" from appropriate tube amplification (and from what I hear it can do even more since I listened to it last time). The Orpheus 2 and 1 also cannot be called ethereal (though it's hardly obtainable/accessible items).

But I do agree that _most_ e-stats may sound more or less ethereal, some of them as much as if there were phase problems (e.g. some Lambdas).
The Voce sounded a little bit towards ethereal as well, but had pretty good body and definition. I expect the Corina will do even better, so can't wait to hear :)

The unknown variables are the traditional elements of e-stat design (stator, membrane, coating, etc.), for which we don't know much yet, apart from the interestingly patterned stator, the gap and the presence of AMTS, from which I'd speculate they will benefit from a lot of power and will sound smooth, supposedly with good slam and body, but let's see if that happens on the expense of some other things. :)

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #65 of 320
My experience is the amplifier makes or breaks the electrostatic headphone. When I started looking at electrostatics, none sounded worth it. That is until recently. Manufacturers are seeing renewed interest and readdressing the performance of their amplifiers. Ultimately RSA modified the A-10 Thunderbolt II to really increase the performance with the SE.-009. I think that was 2019 and again in 2020. I jumped late 2020 and while the Utopias are awesome with my RSA Apache, the difference going to the electrostatic headphone is hard to believe. Just my opinion on my one setup.
with 4x Sparkos SS2590 in place?

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #67 of 320
Any additional impressions from CanJam? :)

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #68 of 320
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #69 of 320
Mar 6, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #70 of 320
Mar 6, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #71 of 320
I actually had a very interesting chat with spritzers after his second listen and he was much more positive then in that post. He could not have been nicer, BTW. He mentioned that the headband issue was because he has an enormous noggin. For me, probably a foot and a half shorter, the headband fits perfectly. It is the same as the Stealth headband which, for me, is the best I've used.

Spritzers' criticism in that post seems tainted by his by experience with Andy Regan. I overheard Andy talking about spritzer (he did not know who he was) and saying he was unbelievably rude. I won't repeat the details since I was overhearing a private conversation. When you stand out to an exhibitor as the worst person of the weekend, I tend to think that there are two sides to the story and I'll just assume that both sides were at fault.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #72 of 320
In my cultur there is a difference between critic, personal taste and insults. But maybe I am too oldfashioned.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #73 of 320
In my cultur there is a difference between critic, personal taste and insults. But maybe I am too oldfashioned.
Well the critic on the headphones seems fair and he also said he needs more time to fairly Evaluate outside of Show conditions.

The insults against the DCA personel were harsh but looking at the other comments not unfounded either

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #74 of 320
I love that he is not sugar coating his opinion.

Northern nations (plus Netherlands) tend to be like that, but the level of diplomacy and choice of words might wildly vary. :)
Language notwithstanding, I can't deny it was informative, though. :) At least on the points I want to double check when I will get the chance to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back