Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Aug 27, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #301 of 472
That's just an excuse for not having to put sources into doing it properly, look at Meze and their magnetic system, that's an excellent example of how it could be done.
It's also a function of the design. Abyss factors airgap into the bass presentation of the headphones, DCA depends on there not being one.

I like the idea of Meze's magnetic system but I get a little worried about magnets overlapping and damage to the drivers when pad swapping.

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #303 of 472
Here you go! MM-500 vs the HEDDphone, my thoughts on which headphone is better for my music listening preferences and video/music editing work have a great day, friends.

Here are the other two videos in this series so far:

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 29, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #304 of 472
Just got the MM500s from Audio46 (thanks fellas!!). Walked in to purchase something else and left with a bigger dent in my wallet than I originally anticipated. These are the first pair of headphones that seem to accurately reproduce what I listen to on my studio monitors, save for true stereo. I have a pair of LCD-Xs and HD800s, and from what I have heard within the first 30 minutes of use is the MM500s seem to beat both of those outright in terms of accurate reproduction of sound. I'm always hesitant when a brand puts an artists name on something as I always feel it's a cheap marketing tactic, but that does not seem to be the case here.

The one thing worth noting that I will need to solve is the clamping force, it's a little much (see below) so i'm going to leave them overnight clamped to a few books to stretch them out a bit. The weight is perfect, build is solid, design is the best I've seen on a pair of modern headphones and sound is bar none (for me). Plenty of technical reviews so I wont go any more into detail :wink:

Great job Audeze!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #305 of 472
Just got the MM500s from Audio46 (thanks fellas!!). Walked in to purchase something else and left with a bigger dent in my wallet than I originally anticipated. These are the first pair of headphones that seem to accurately reproduce what I listen to on my studio monitors, save for true stereo. I have a pair of LCD-Xs and HD800s, and from what I have heard within the first 30 minutes of use is the MM500s seem to beat both of those outright in terms of accurate reproduction of sound. I'm always hesitant when a brand puts an artists name on something as I always feel it's a cheap marketing tactic, but that does not seem to be the case here.

The one thing worth noting that I will need to solve is the clamping force, it's a little much so i'm going to leave them overnight clamped to a few books to stretch them out a bit. The weight is perfect, build is solid, design is the best I've seen on a pair of modern headphones and sound is bar none (for me). Plenty of technical reviews so I wont go any more into detail :wink:

Great job Audeze!
Don't do that, do this instead:

(pasted from our help desk)

...clamping can be adjust slightly up or down by carefully exerting some force on the steel part of the headband only, in the direction you want to adjust. Do not attempt to adjust by putting force on the yokes, rods or earcups, as this may cause damage not covered by warranty.

You can watch a brief instructional video on the process here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I4y_EAqcD5YC-2thgjbJCGV4683KfyT3/view?usp=sharing

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 29, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #306 of 472

...clamping can be adjust slightly up or down by carefully exerting some force on the steel part of the headband only, in the direction you want to adjust. Do not attempt to adjust by putting force on the yokes, rods or earcups, as this may cause damage not covered by warranty.

You can watch a brief instructional video on the process here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I4y_EAqcD5YC-2thgjbJCGV4683KfyT3/view?usp=sharing

Redacted my previous statement. Ha. Thank you for that <3

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #307 of 472
Thoughts after 2 weeks. These headphones are just insanely transparent. I can hear every imperfection, almost to a fault for the casual listener. On the flip side, I have never been more confident in my mixing work on headphones. My work is translating to various systems a lot more predictably so far! Bad mixes are -really- obvious in these and stand out!

AderZRM.png

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #308 of 472
Thoughts after 2 weeks. These headphones are just insanely transparent. I can hear every imperfection, almost to a fault for the casual listener. On the flip side, I have never been more confident in my mixing work on headphones. My work is translating to various systems a lot more predictably so far! Bad mixes are -really- obvious in these and stand out!

AderZRM.png
I could not agree more. Loving the presentation of the MM-500 headphones as very neutral and extended on both ends without being harsh or too boomy. I think these are a keeper and fit in with my Stax and Sennheisers as a very pleasant listening experience with a lot of different genres. As noted above, very transparent so bad recordings will lead to bad listening experience. I don't mix but enjoy listening how producers layer a piece and have found many recordings where you can hear static or background noise where a track drops in the mix. I have been finding a lot of my favorite 70's and 80's pop and rock more listenable on different cans due to poor production. I am using a RME ADI-2 DAC running lossless files on tidal or my phone into various amps. I have EQ settings for most of my other cans but have not had the urge to mess with this one yet. Side plug, the RME sounds great with the MM-500 straight out of the headphone out at low output but can really come alive with a good tube amp.

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #309 of 472

I followed the insructions in the video and have found I can get the pressure to be perfect so I no longer have any sort of hot spots with my glasses. I have thicker plastic frames so it was uncomfortable but now it feels good and no perceivable loss in sound quality. I feel like the cushy pads allows for a lot of tolerance in getting the right the seal. I am going to get some thin metal glasses next time as this is an issue with other heaphones that I have not been able to make the fit work.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #310 of 472
I could not agree more. Loving the presentation of the MM-500 headphones as very neutral and extended on both ends without being harsh or too boomy. I think these are a keeper and fit in with my Stax and Sennheisers as a very pleasant listening experience with a lot of different genres. As noted above, very transparent so bad recordings will lead to bad listening experience. I don't mix but enjoy listening how producers layer a piece and have found many recordings where you can hear static or background noise where a track drops in the mix. I have been finding a lot of my favorite 70's and 80's pop and rock more listenable on different cans due to poor production. I am using a RME ADI-2 DAC running lossless files on tidal or my phone into various amps. I have EQ settings for most of my other cans but have not had the urge to mess with this one yet. Side plug, the RME sounds great with the MM-500 straight out of the headphone out at low output but can really come alive with a good tube amp.
Thanks for impressions, @Killerb. Wondering what tube amp you use. I am considering these cans but amp. is Feliks Euforia w/output impedance 20 ohms, stated to be able to run low impedance planars BUT w/MM-500 impedance 18 ohms wondering if Euforia will drive the MM-500 well. Hence my question as to what tube amp. you enjoy w/MM-500.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #311 of 472
Had LCD-5 before, and have chance to try MM-500 today, side by side with LCD-5 and Abyss Diana (Phi and TC).

In short: Definitely a sublime headphone for the price!

In reminds me a lot of LCD-5, but, this is a big "but", MM-500 is like LCD-5 with proper EQ already installed.

Too much midrange of LCD-5 is gone now, and instead, there is more airy feeling on treble area, combine with a little more punch and heft at bass area. Listen to MM-500 is like listening to nice near field studio monitor speaker. Highly accurate decay and transient, no big boom bass, no harsh sharp treble, just a transparent and fluid transient.

LCD-5 may still hold the flagship status as produce more micro detail, wider and better height in soundstage (about same depth). However, lack of treble air, and too much midrange quantity in LCD-5 become deal breaker to me. I sold LCD-5 already, and never expected to like the new tuning of Audeze. MM-500 may change my mind!

I can imagine, if only MM-500 came first to the market, LCD-5's sales (with price more expensive about $2800) may take really big hit. MM-500 definitely much closer in performance than $2800 gap.

p.s: Abyss Diana TC and Phi may have better clarity and detail with bigger soundstage, but they seem colder and thinner sounding at midrange area, and "too analytic" for lesser than great recording quality, make MM-500 more versatile headphone overall.

Tested with Chord TT2.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #312 of 472
Thanks for impressions, @Killerb. Wondering what tube amp you use. I am considering these cans but amp. is Feliks Euforia w/output impedance 20 ohms, stated to be able to run low impedance planars BUT w/MM-500 impedance 18 ohms wondering if Euforia will drive the MM-500 well. Hence my question as to what tube amp. you enjoy w/MM-500.
I am using a Woo Audio WA6SE which is much nicer than the headphone out of my ADI DAC (better staging and imaging). Actually the ADI is quite good and I would be happy if I didn't have the Woo already. My end game amp is a LTA Z10E that I am saving my pennies to purchase by the end of the year or sooner if I can find a deal. I demoed the pair at Canjam and for me this was the best in show. I did not have LTA or Audeze on my radar at all going in but the pair just clicked for me and the kind of music I love (Jazz, classical strings, 70s and 80s pop and rock and even some Billy Eilish mixed in there). I am more of a Stax detail guy and still love electrostatic presentation but the Audeze/LTA combo was so detailed and dynamic and different from the Stax sound. I originally went to the Audeze booth to listen to the CRBN electrostat which was running off the LTA amp and I demoed pretty much every Audeze on the amp and the MM-500 came out on top for me even compared to LCD-5. I went to the LTA booth and tried the MM-500 on the MZ3 (non-electrostat amp) and it sounded great as well. If I didn't want the electrostat headphone out, I would definitely get the MZ3.

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #313 of 472
I am using a Woo Audio WA6SE which is much nicer than the headphone out of my ADI DAC (better staging and imaging). Actually the ADI is quite good and I would be happy if I didn't have the Woo already. My end game amp is a LTA Z10E that I am saving my pennies to purchase by the end of the year or sooner if I can find a deal. I demoed the pair at Canjam and for me this was the best in show. I did not have LTA or Audeze on my radar at all going in but the pair just clicked for me and the kind of music I love (Jazz, classical strings, 70s and 80s pop and rock and even some Billy Eilish mixed in there). I am more of a Stax detail guy and still love electrostatic presentation but the Audeze/LTA combo was so detailed and dynamic and different from the Stax sound. I originally went to the Audeze booth to listen to the CRBN electrostat which was running off the LTA amp and I demoed pretty much every Audeze on the amp and the MM-500 came out on top for me even compared to LCD-5. I went to the LTA booth and tried the MM-500 on the MZ3 (non-electrostat amp) and it sounded great as well. If I didn't want the electrostat headphone out, I would definitely get the MZ3.
That is really encouraging as my Feliks Euforia AE has output impedance of 20 ohms and I believe Woo Audio WA6SE has output impedance of 15 ohms on low setting, not orders of magnitude different!

Can you comment on how the pairing of MM-5oo and Woo Audio WA6SE sounds to your ears? Thanks @Killerb!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #314 of 472
Had LCD-5 before, and have chance to try MM-500 today, side by side with LCD-5 and Abyss Diana (Phi and TC).

In short: Definitely a sublime headphone for the price!

In reminds me a lot of LCD-5, but, this is a big "but", MM-500 is like LCD-5 with proper EQ already installed.

Too much midrange of LCD-5 is gone now, and instead, there is more airy feeling on treble area, combine with a little more punch and heft at bass area. Listen to MM-500 is like listening to nice near field studio monitor speaker. Highly accurate decay and transient, no big boom bass, no harsh sharp treble, just a transparent and fluid transient.

LCD-5 may still hold the flagship status as produce more micro detail, wider and better height in soundstage (about same depth). However, lack of treble air, and too much midrange quantity in LCD-5 become deal breaker to me. I sold LCD-5 already, and never expected to like the new tuning of Audeze. MM-500 may change my mind!

I can imagine, if only MM-500 came first to the market, LCD-5's sales (with price more expensive about $2800) may take really big hit. MM-500 definitely much closer in performance than $2800 gap.

p.s: Abyss Diana TC and Phi may have better clarity and detail with bigger soundstage, but they seem colder and thinner sounding at midrange area, and "too analytic" for lesser than great recording quality, make MM-500 more versatile headphone overall.

Tested with Chord TT2
This matches my experience at Canjam as well. Listened to LCD-5 and MM-500 on a Chord Hugo and LTA Z10E and found the MM-500 to be better balanced for my taste and it sounded more natural with a live jazz track I use as my benchmark with nothing really out of place. LCD did have more "sparkle" at the top end and wider stage but mids seemed odd to my ear compared to the MM-500. I put my money down and got the MM-500 and so far very happy with the experience although I am staying up way too late nowadays. I mentioned this in another post but I am not a producer but I like diving into the mix on my favorite songs and the MM-500 has enough detail that I can hear static on some recordings when a bad track drops in the mix so I tend to use my Grados for my favorite 70's and 80's playlist now since it kinda glosses over stuff more.

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #315 of 472
That is really encouraging as my Feliks Euforia AE has output impedance of 20 ohms and I believe Woo Audio WA6SE has output impedance of 15 ohms on low setting, not orders of magnitude different!

Can you comment on how the pairing of MM-5oo and Woo Audio WA6SE sounds to your ears? Thanks @Killerb!
I was originally listening for a few days off the ADI DAC and it sounded really good with nice detail but was not very dynamic (reminded me of my HD650 to a degree) at least not like Canjam which was what really won me over. I tried the WA6se (using the ADI as a DAC) the next couple of days and I have not gone back to the ADI. I think the WA6se is much more powerful and it was more dynamic and the tubes add more dimensionality to the recording. I listened to recordings that I am familiar with (Bill Evans Trio, Chesky, Classical Strings, Percussion) and the Woo seemed to place objects out in space better and made me wonder if my dog was up to no good a few times only to realize the sound was coming from the headphones. I also listened to Madonna's Immaculate Collection which was recorded with some special process and it was really expansive.

I say just try it out and see. I use a Grado GS1000i (36 Ohm) on a Woo WA2 in my office and it sounds great even though it is low impedance and the WA2 is an OTL amp supposedly for high impedance cans. A few Ohms here or there don't really make a difference. If the amp is a quality build and has a low noise floor, a low impedance headphone can work and sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back