Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Sep 4, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #316 of 472
Had LCD-5 before, and have chance to try MM-500 today, side by side with LCD-5 and Abyss Diana (Phi and TC).

In short: Definitely a sublime headphone for the price!

In reminds me a lot of LCD-5, but, this is a big "but", MM-500 is like LCD-5 with proper EQ already installed.

Too much midrange of LCD-5 is gone now, and instead, there is more airy feeling on treble area, combine with a little more punch and heft at bass area. Listen to MM-500 is like listening to nice near field studio monitor speaker. Highly accurate decay and transient, no big boom bass, no harsh sharp treble, just a transparent and fluid transient.

LCD-5 may still hold the flagship status as produce more micro detail, wider and better height in soundstage (about same depth). However, lack of treble air, and too much midrange quantity in LCD-5 become deal breaker to me. I sold LCD-5 already, and never expected to like the new tuning of Audeze. MM-500 may change my mind!

I can imagine, if only MM-500 came first to the market, LCD-5's sales (with price more expensive about $2800) may take really big hit. MM-500 definitely much closer in performance than $2800 gap.

p.s: Abyss Diana TC and Phi may have better clarity and detail with bigger soundstage, but they seem colder and thinner sounding at midrange area, and "too analytic" for lesser than great recording quality, make MM-500 more versatile headphone overall.

Tested with Chord TT2.
Thanks for the insightful post, did you have a chance to compare the MM500 with LCD 3?

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #317 of 472
C01D9955-5E8B-420F-BA16-9265668641F4.jpeg

That’s my new MM-500 you see.

I’ve been an arm’s lenght away from Audeze the last years. I owned the LCD-3 at one point, but only had it for a few weeks since it didn’t partner well with my electronics (tilting to the warmer side) and since it displayed minor building quality issues.

The design and firm of LCD-5 got me intrigued and the MM-500 only added to that. It’s perhaps the best looking headphone on the market, IMO.

I second TheMiddleSky’s impressions above. The MM-500s are versatile and sensibly designed and tuned. I however believe it will partner better with smoother sounding electronics that prioritize musical flow and smoothness, if you’re listening for pleasure. It partners with my Leben in a very nice way. If there is a lot of energy and details produced early in the chain, these cans will let you know. Not ruthlessly, but still. Overall the sound signature is honest and coherent. Bass, midrange and treble support each other. The soundstage has great depth but does not give you a concert hall-impression - it’s rather quite intimate.

The clamping force suits my tall and narrow head perfectly (no no, I’m still considered decently good looking). It seems like you are able to stretch the headband, but this aspect can be something to consider.

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #319 of 472
Thanks for the insightful post, did you have a chance to compare the MM500 with LCD 3?

LCD-3 is the main symbol of old Audeze house sound. Dark treble, with creamy midrange and full body bass. MM-500, being more neutral, deliver more energy in treble and midrange area, make songs more "excited" to feel. With LCD-3 everything seems longer in decay, and rather slow when side by side with " the snap and agile" MM-500.

From old Audeze house sound, LCD-X 2021 is the closest to MM-500. The new release Audeze still being the closer to neutral side with more precision in decay and imaging though.

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #320 of 472
LCD-3 is the main symbol of old Audeze house sound. Dark treble, with creamy midrange and full body bass. MM-500, being more neutral, deliver more energy in treble and midrange area, make songs more "excited" to feel. With LCD-3 everything seems longer in decay, and rather slow when side by side with " the snap and agile" MM-500.

From old Audeze house sound, LCD-X 2021 is the closest to MM-500. The new release Audeze still being the closer to neutral side with more precision in decay and imaging though.
Thanks again for a clear and concise explanation, your description of the LCD3 really is the same as how I hear it. Thus it's easier for me to envision it, my taste leans more towards the LCD3, but your interpretation of the MM500's "snap and agile" nature, do sparks an interest for me to audition it. :)

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #321 of 472
I was originally listening for a few days off the ADI DAC and it sounded really good with nice detail but was not very dynamic (reminded me of my HD650 to a degree) at least not like Canjam which was what really won me over. I tried the WA6se (using the ADI as a DAC) the next couple of days and I have not gone back to the ADI. I think the WA6se is much more powerful and it was more dynamic and the tubes add more dimensionality to the recording. I listened to recordings that I am familiar with (Bill Evans Trio, Chesky, Classical Strings, Percussion) and the Woo seemed to place objects out in space better and made me wonder if my dog was up to no good a few times only to realize the sound was coming from the headphones. I also listened to Madonna's Immaculate Collection which was recorded with some special process and it was really expansive.

I say just try it out and see. I use a Grado GS1000i (36 Ohm) on a Woo WA2 in my office and it sounds great even though it is low impedance and the WA2 is an OTL amp supposedly for high impedance cans. A few Ohms here or there don't really make a difference. If the amp is a quality build and has a low noise floor, a low impedance headphone can work and sound great.
I tried the MM-500 on my Woo Audio WA2 OTL amp which is supposedly perfect for the 300Ohm HD650 (which I do use along with the Grado GS1000i) and it still sounds good as long as I keep the volume on the lower end of the spectrum. Could hear a bit of noise and it seemed a bit more uncontrolled on the low end at my regular listening volume. While it was still very nice and warm sounding with a good soundstage, this is not a recommended pairing in my book since I have other better amp pairings. If I was stuck with just the WA2 and MM-500 I would still be a happy camper. :)

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #322 of 472
Are there any comparisons of the mm-500 to the hifiman arya? I've been in the market for a new headphone and the Arya seems to be the best one in that price range but I hate the build quality and the way it looks. I'm hoping the mm-500 can match it acoustically. I would've gotten an LCD-X had it not been so heavy

Sep 7, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #323 of 472
Are there any comparisons of the mm-500 to the hifiman arya? I've been in the market for a new headphone and the Arya seems to be the best one in that price range but I hate the build quality and the way it looks. I'm hoping the mm-500 can match it acoustically. I would've gotten an LCD-X had it not been so heavy
Andrew had a few words about both in his review.

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #324 of 472
I have also been looking for the same comparison. It's a good time to be looking for new headphones within that price range of 500-1500. But there are many new releases that have not been really well reviewed/documented. I know that the others I have on my list besides the Arya and the MM-500 are the Ananda with Stealth magnets and also the zmf Auteur Classic.

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #325 of 472
I got confirmation right now that BestBuy will be bringing the Audeze MM500. I hope they get them to the magnolia section so that we can try them.
Currently, they are carrying the LCD X and LCD 2

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #327 of 472
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #328 of 472

Users who are viewing this thread

Back