Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #287 of 472
Aug 25, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #288 of 472
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #289 of 472
Thanks for the link. Still I think they should thread it instead of gluing it, same for the earpads.
For earpads the claim is that it's necessary for creating proper seal required for accurate sound reproduction.
Not sure how other planar manufacturers like HiFiman can get away with their easy to swap clip on pads.

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #292 of 472
For earpads the claim is that it's necessary for creating proper seal required for accurate sound reproduction.
Not sure how other planar manufacturers like HiFiman can get away with their easy to swap clip on pads.
That's just an excuse for not having to put sources into doing it properly, look at Meze and their magnetic system, that's an excellent example of how it could be done.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #294 of 472
5863A2BF-3A1D-44FD-8BD6-B1D523F65A5F.jpeg

33C46BFB-D6AC-49B5-BCD7-B95E003E0EDD.jpeg

I had a shoot out between the MM-500 and the LCD-5 as well as the Meze Elite at a Stockholm dealer today. I’m a Grado lover so I came with a (more or less) neutral mindset, attracted to the design and price point of the MM-500.

The MM-500 are going home with me on a loan to see how they compare to my PS2000e. They will be partnered with my new electronics: the Audio Analogue AAdac and the Leben CS600X, an integrated tube amplifier with a higly regarded headphone output.

The Meze Elite I find a little too lush and fabricated sounding. The LCD-5 are a technical tour de force in resolution, extension and smoothness. I however found that MM-500s midrange has a more solid presentation that I preferred, and that the bass aided a very nice intimacy in music. Detail retrival was generally not miles away from the LCD-5, but there is a distance indeed, especially outside the midrange. On all songs I tested I preferred the MM-500 tbh. My taste leans towards alternative pop/rock and singer songwriters.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #295 of 472
I had a shoot out between the MM-500 and the LCD-5 as well as the Meze Elite at a Stockholm dealer today.

May I ask what dealer in Stockholm you were to?

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #297 of 472

I had a shoot out between the MM-500 and the LCD-5 as well as the Meze Elite at a Stockholm dealer today. I’m a Grado lover so I came with a (more or less) neutral mindset, attracted to the design and price point of the MM-50.

The MM-50 are going home with me on a loan to see how they compare to my PS2000e. They will be partnered with my new electronics: the Audio Analogue AAdac and the Leben CS600X, an integrated tube amplifier with a higly regarded headphone output.

The Meze Elite I find a little too lush and fabricated sounding. The LCD-5 are a technical tour de force in resolution, extension and smoothness. I however found that MM-50s midrange has a more solid presentation that I preferred, and that the bass aided a very nice intimacy in music. Detail retrival was generally not miles away from the LCD-5, but there is a distance indeed, especially outside the midrange. On all songs I tested I preferred the MM-50 tbh. My taste leans towards alternative pop/rock and singer songwriters.
How do you perceive the soundstage of the mm-500 compared to the lcd-5? Thanks.

Aug 27, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #298 of 472
How do you perceive the soundstage of the mm-500 compared to the lcd-5? Thanks.
Both have a very present midband but the LCD-5 extends more in all directions. I spent the evening with the MM-500 in my home and I like the type of intimacy it produces. My Grados are more open sounding - but then again that’s one of Grados’ main traits. The MM-500 are more composed and controlled.

If you are a midband type of guy like me you should most def look into the MM-500 before reaching for the LCD-5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back