Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 27, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #1,548 of 1,636
Yes, that is correct. Not a cheap entry, but supposedly flexible.
Was a grand total of $0 for me since I already have and love the CA-1a :wink:

Honestly I'd suggest anyone looking at paying $600 for just the transformer box to consider getting the whole headphone package used for $1700 if you can. The CA-1a is extremely good and I think it's possibly the best value in headphones. Many cases of people preferring the CA-1a over various different TOTL models twice the price.

Also if you're feeling adventurous, it's not that difficult (or expensive depending on what brand transformers) to make a transformer box, I'll be making one for my STAX once the Lundahl transformers arrive.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #1,549 of 1,636
Was a grand total of $0 for me since I already have and love the CA-1a :wink:

Honestly I'd suggest anyone looking at paying $600 for just the transformer box to consider getting the whole headphone package used for $1700 if you can. The CA-1a is extremely good and I think it's possibly the best value in headphones. Many cases of people preferring the CA-1a over various different TOTL models twice the price.

Also if you're feeling adventurous, it's not that difficult (or expensive depending on what brand transformers) to make a transformer box, I'll be making one for my STAX once the Lundahl transformers arrive.
I’ve heard great things about the CA-1a and am thinking it might be worth it just buy the full package to give them a listen.

What are your listening thoughts/impressions between the LCD-R and the RAAL? Obviously they are two different types of headphones.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #1,550 of 1,636
I’ve heard great things about the CA-1a and am thinking it might be worth it just buy the full package to give them a listen.

What are your listening thoughts/impressions between the LCD-R and the RAAL? Obviously they are two different types of headphones.
I haven't yet gotten to back to back them so I can't really say for sure but I feel like the CA-1a has more bass slam while also more air/sparkle while the LCD-R is overall fuller. I'll try to do a back to back soon but I leave the country this week for a bit and may not get to it before then.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #1,551 of 1,636
I owned both at the same time and only sold the CA-1a because I've not won the lottery (yet!) and because I like to have a collection of headphones that scratch different itches. The particular itch I needed scratching was better served by the SR1a, although this isn't to detract from the exceptional quality and relative value (vs other totl headphones) of the CA-1a. (Making the CA-1a even better is that you essentially get two different headphones thanks to the pad rolling options).

For reference, here's how I hear the LCD-R. These headphones offer a pleasingly smooth sound, one that comes with a lovely combination of good resolution, for the price, excellent speed and nimble responsiveness from the drivers, with nicely responsive transients, very good microdynamics, and a decent amount of punchiness. They’re invitingly mellow, engaging headphones. The treble's very nice, if a bit polite (as in rolled off), and the tuning has a pleasant warmth and a delightful sweetness to it. On the other hand, the LCD-R doesn't offer the best bass presentation. The bass doesn’t extend very deeply and could be more robust. It has some good mid-bass punch - which gives the LCD-R its warmth - and, like the HD 650, the LCD-R edges towards being slightly muffled and congested (or “intimate,” to put it more politely). The bass could be tighter/faster, which makes it come across as slightly indistinct and woolly. The LCD-R aren’t as open and spacious in their staging as I’d like.

The CA-1a and LCD-R share only a few things in common. They both have fast transients. The CA-1a's attacks are faster, snappier, a bit more aggressive. The LCD-R's attacks aren't all that far behind but they have slightly less edge to them. They're gentler.

With the donut pads, the CA-1a have a warmth to their tuning that gets closer to the LCD-R, but the CA-1a is still not as warm as it has more treble extension and emphasis and a more linear bass, which is tighter/faster and extends deeper.

The LCD-R have richer, more forward mids. The CA-1a with the coffee bean pads have more of a studio neutral kind of tuning, with a pretty even frequency response, as in no single part of the FR really stands out above the others, although I did find the treble to be a bit more emphasized and, at times, a bit zingy or hot. Then again, the CA-1a have more air.

The CA-1a has a lighter tonal weight and can be a bit dry. Its other distinguishing qualities are its greater openness, its spacious staging and precise imaging, as well as its excellent clarity/transparency, by which I mean there's little by way of coloration to the sound. The LCD-R, by contrast, are warmer, wetter, more mellifluous. The LCD-R make for a mellower listen, one that's immersive and sweet and pleasing. The CA-1a make for a more exhilarating experience, one in which you're drawn into all of the details in the music. They work well together, as contrasting headphones that can be entirely satisfying at scratching those different itches.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,555 of 1,636
Sure - some speakers have that. Like car subwoofers being ran on a class d amp designed to be efficient at 2ohm. Go ahead and list the TOTL amps (120/230v) that can handle flat 2ohm - Research Magnepans for a little bit. I like your use of "some" and not listing anything or having comprehension.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #1,557 of 1,636
I just said "like car subwoofers" Tons of D1 D2 S1 S2 drivers in the world. LCR-R isn't a dynamic driver boasting those numbers.

How about the RAAL SR1-A ? You going to tell us a Rekkr works on that too because there are other "speakers" out there with dead shorts?

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #1,558 of 1,636
How about the RAAL SR1-A ?
That one has only 0.2 Ohm, a huge difference to a 2 Ohm load.
I'd still clarify with the manufacturer wether the amp can take 2 Ohm loads, but many speaker amps can do that with no problem

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #1,559 of 1,636
Thantos - Completely fair, but OP made it seem like there are many headphone amplifiers that can do 2ohm across the entire freq. range. Dynamic speakers fluctuate across the FR and it's not apples to apples to a Planar with a 99% trace. Yes the Rekkr is the correct direction if it were designed slightly more towards running 2ohm 24/7. Lots of winks from Jason S. - might want to wait a little while and see what comes out.

I'd be curious as to what the upgrade from the Jotenheim-A/R would be, which is already a competent amplifier. Sadly already OOP from lack of LCD-R's in the world

Peace offer - and glad we can talk around the concepts. I know many people here have posted their feelings - maybe the thread OP could have links specifically regarding amplification at your own risk.

Jason says you do not run the MJ3 with the ARRGH, is not a good idea, yet it would seem like an amazing amplifier for them, right?

A pair of Tyr's with a speaker / resistance box would be an idea worth looking into.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,560 of 1,636
Thantos - Completely fair, but OP made it seem like there are many headphone amplifiers that can do 2ohm across the entire freq. range. Dynamic speakers fluctuate across the FR and it's not apples to apples to a Planar with 99% trace. Yes the Rekkr is the correct direction if it were designed slightly more towards running 2ohm 24/7. Lots of winks from Jason S. - might want to wait a little while and see what comes out.

I'd be curious as to what the upgrade from the Jotenheim, which is already a competent amplifier.

Peace offer - and glad we can talk around the concepts. I know many people here have posted their feelings - maybe the thread OP could have links specifically regarding amplification at your own risk.

Jason says you do no run MJ3, is not a good idea, yet it would seem like an amazing amplifier for them, right?

A pair of Tyr's with a speaker / resistance box would be an idea worth looking into.
They are certainly a rarity among headamps. From the top of my head I can Name two headamps that can drive 2 Ohm loads
And true dynamic 2 Ohm rated speakers fluctuate unlike the resistor like planar driver of the LCD-R. Apple to Oranges.

I didn't keep up with Jasons hints but Schiit is known to release interesting stuff often.

Meanwhile the pair of Tyrs with resistance Box might be an interesting idea!
Wasn't there also a crazy headamp monoblock idea in the Schiit thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back