Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,531 of 1,644
Do you live in a very dry climate? Running a humidifier may be a good plan in that case.
Gotta run a humidifier in one room with ribbons and dehumidifier in another with estats :sweat_smile:

Aug 21, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,532 of 1,644
Gotta run a humidifier in one room with ribbons and dehumidifier in another with estats :sweat_smile:
Wow - I'm not crazy. I think the static on a near 0 ohm load to the amp causes an overcurrent situation.

Make sure to not wear any clothing that is susceptible to static. Shoot, might even wear a ground strap. Funny, but partially true.

Aug 22, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,533 of 1,644
Wow - I'm not crazy. I think the static on a near 0 ohm load to the amp causes an overcurrent situation.

Make sure to not wear any clothing that is susceptible to static. Shoot, might even wear a ground strap. Funny, but partially true.
it'll be interesting when someone walks into the room and you are buck naked wearing two static wrist straps...

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #1,534 of 1,644
On the other site, Jason said not to run a 2ohm load into the Rag.

The issue isn't necessarily the power of the amplifier, but the ability for it to handle no resistance in the circuit.
My Google-fi skills are sucking tonight, what about Rag v1? I've done it and didn't have anything nasty happen, :fingers_crossed:. I've actually ran the LCD-R from Cavalli LAu, Ragnarok v1, Auris Nirvana and a KT150 Set Amp. I had the KT150 Set Amp custom built with a different layout and all Super Silk transformers. Granted, I did not run them for hours off of each amp but just for a quick test I ran them for 10-15 minutes on each amp. My current complaint is with the left earcup. The fazors touch my left ear and after .5 hours I have to take them off and reposition them. They start to leave marks on the left ear.

Labeled Switches And Tubes.jpg

GZ34 6DR7 EL156 LCD-R.jpg

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,535 of 1,644
I don't think any of the amplifiers you listed are actually stable at the load the LCD-R presents. I'm sure they sound fine, but you are pushing distortion and heat numbers way higher than they need to be. Efficiency and quality kind of go out the window. Buy an amp that works for the RAAL stuff or something built for Magnepans.

You all do you on posting photos of the LCD-R on different amplifiers.

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #1,536 of 1,644
My Google-fi skills are sucking tonight, what about Rag v1? I've done it and didn't have anything nasty happen, :fingers_crossed:. I've actually ran the LCD-R from Cavalli LAu, Ragnarok v1, Auris Nirvana and a KT150 Set Amp. I had the KT150 Set Amp custom built with a different layout and all Super Silk transformers. Granted, I did not run them for hours off of each amp but just for a quick test I ran them for 10-15 minutes on each amp. My current complaint is with the left earcup. The fazors touch my left ear and after .5 hours I have to take them off and reposition them. They start to leave marks on the left ear.

Labeled Switches And Tubes.jpg

GZ34 6DR7 EL156 LCD-R.jpg
Unfortunately, they are not the most comfortable headphone with those razor sharp fazors. It would have made more sense for these to ship with the old pads versus the new memory foam (and vegan pads). I have a pair of the new leather pads I want to try, just haven't gotten around to it.

I really don't want to void my warranty on them so I have never tried them on anything other than the Jot-A. I don't have any amps that I am comfortable even trying these on. I have a Simaudio Moon 700i speaker amp that would have no issue with a 2ohm load, but its gonna be way too much power for these. I just got the Feliks Audio Envy, and I am not even sure they would do well since it has a tremendous amount of power and I don't know if it can even handle a 2ohm load since it has an output transformer. I recall a lot of users doing well with the Woo Audio OTL tube designs with the LCD-R, but the Feliks Envy is not the same architecture.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #1,537 of 1,644
Unfortunately, they are not the most comfortable headphone with those razor sharp fazors. It would have made more sense for these to ship with the old pads versus the new memory foam (and vegan pads). I have a pair of the new leather pads I want to try, just haven't gotten around to it.

I really don't want to void my warranty on them so I have never tried them on anything other than the Jot-A. I don't have any amps that I am comfortable even trying these on. I have a Simaudio Moon 700i speaker amp that would have no issue with a 2ohm load, but its gonna be way too much power for these. I just got the Feliks Audio Envy, and I am not even sure they would do well since it has a tremendous amount of power and I don't know if it can even handle a 2ohm load since it has an output transformer. I recall a lot of users doing well with the Woo Audio OTL tube designs with the LCD-R, but the Feliks Envy is not the same architecture.

With Woo Audio Jack Woo said WA22, WA33, and WA5LE were OK. Definitely don't want to connect a 2ohm load to an OTL design.

Alex Cavalli also blessed all his original designs, I'm not sure on the newer monoprice ones.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #1,538 of 1,644
With Woo Audio Jack Woo said WA22, WA33, and WA5LE were OK. Definitely don't want to connect a 2ohm load to an OTL design.

Alex Cavalli also blessed all his original designs, I'm not sure on the newer monoprice ones.
So the WA22, WA33, and WA5LE are transformer coupled? I’m not very familiar with how they do output. Thought they were OTL (at least the WA22), I’ll look this up.

I’ll reach to to Feliks to see if their amp can handle a continuous 2ohm load.

The sensitivity of the LCD-R seems like a resistor would be needed in order to contain ground hum and give a little more headroom.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #1,539 of 1,644
I just got the Feliks Audio Envy, and I am not even sure they would do well since it has a tremendous amount of power and I don't know if it can even handle a 2ohm load since it has an output transformer.
Lukasz didn't recommend trying it. He never mentioned that the amp definitely can't handle it but he advised not to use the LCD-R directly

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #1,540 of 1,644
So the WA22, WA33, and WA5LE are transformer coupled? I’m not very familiar with how they do output. Thought they were OTL (at least the WA22), I’ll look this up.
Yes Wa22, Wa33 and Wa5LE are all transformer coupled.
The OTL you have in mind is the Wa2.

The Wa22 and Wa33 are also approved to run the LCD-R directly.

I noticed a rare 230V LCD-R in the classifieds, too bad that the seller is not interested in trades.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #1,541 of 1,644
Yes Wa22, Wa33 and Wa5LE are all transformer coupled.
The OTL you have in mind is the Wa2.

The Wa22 and Wa33 are also approved to run the LCD-R directly.

I noticed a rare 230V LCD-R in the classifieds, too bad that the seller is not interested in trades.
Thanks! Very helpful!

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,542 of 1,644
Buy an amp that works for the RAAL stuff or something built for Magnepans.
Or even better IMO, buy the RAAL transformer box and then hook it up to whatever you want.
I've been running my LCD-R off of my Holo Bliss using my CA-1a's transformer box and it sounds great.

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,543 of 1,644
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,544 of 1,644
Aug 27, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,545 of 1,644
Yup, and then you can hook the LCD-R up to any headphone amp you want without worries it'll blow up, and no need for any cable changes.
Cool. Thanks. I couldn’t remember if the LCD-R had the same pinout connections as the RAAL headphones. It was discussed heavily previously in this thread, but you saved me some time from having to search through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back