Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Sep 1, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #976 of 1,636
Anyone try comparing the XLR inputs to RCA inputs?

I got some new RCA interconnects and decided to use them to connect my dac to the Jot-A...gives me the ability to turn up the volume a bit more...I feel like I also heard a bit of a sound quality difference...but could be anything...probably placebo.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #977 of 1,636
I think the amp does better higher on the pot tbh. Ive been using mine preamped down a bit so I have more play on the pot. Not like I have any way to confirm that 100% though

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #978 of 1,636
I'm still blown-away by the fact that "Audeze is the only company"* that has been able to achieve this level of trace coverage on this large of a diaphragm on what is essentially 134 copies. (67x2 for those following along)

*That I know of and I'm not digging into some weird vault of headphones that sounds like crap compared to these. The Dan Clark Stealth and Meze Audio Elite still have lots of untapped surface area for raw current to pump through.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #979 of 1,636
I'm still blown-away by the fact that "Audeze is the only company"* that has been able to achieve this level of trace coverage on this large of a diaphragm on what is essentially 134 copies. (67x2 for those following along)

*That I know of and I'm not digging into some weird vault of headphones that sounds like crap compared to these. The Dan Clark Stealth and Meze Audio Elite still have lots of untapped surface area for raw current to pump through.
Interesting. How meaningful do you feel this really is.

Especially if in-mind, you compare to the TC, those differences account to very little. The TC is ahead of the LCD-R across the board.

So I'd question exactly what characteristics such a large diaphragm intrinsically provides an advantage with.

I don't know. I do believe the ear depth and damping mechanism of the TC is what largely accounts for its superior performance to everything -- before compounding factors such as headband width, toe-in/out, pad rotation.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #980 of 1,636
Interesting. How meaningful do you feel this really is.

Especially if in-mind, you compare to the TC, those differences account to very little. The TC is ahead of the LCD-R across the board.

So I'd question exactly what characteristics such a large diaphragm intrinsically provides an advantage with.

I don't know. I do believe the ear depth and damping mechanism of the TC is what largely accounts for its superior performance to everything -- before compounding factors such as headband width, toe-in/out, pad rotation.
True, the $5000+ (notice the "+" sign) 1266 TC is a wonderful headphone.

To say that the LCD-R isn't doing anything different, or better than the TC is nonsense. @M3NTAL was stating how amazing the trace coverage was, and how great the headphones are. New tech, or new designs, in the headphone world are always welcomed.

Anyone try comparing the XLR inputs to RCA inputs?

I got some new RCA interconnects and decided to use them to connect my dac to the Jot-A...gives me the ability to turn up the volume a bit more...I feel like I also heard a bit of a sound quality difference...but could be anything...probably placebo.
Haven't tried that yet... I just immediately plugged in the XLR cables. I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

I think the amp does better higher on the pot tbh. Ive been using mine preamped down a bit so I have more play on the pot. Not like I have any way to confirm that 100% though
I have been doing the same thing. I tend to like run my amps in the 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock position. Most of the time this requires preamp adjustment. I haven't heard any channel imbalance running the Jot-A without a pre-amp db reduction, but I have heard many amps that have struggled with low gain channel imbalance.

I find that it does sound a little better sitting at the 12 o'clock position, but I also find that these headphones (and amp), do a little better with a lower volume (or overall gain). This ends up being a bit pleasant, as I usually run headphones pretty hot to get the most out of them. The LCD-R seems to be pretty sweet from moderately quiet to normal listening. It does get a bit shouty as you crank it up.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #981 of 1,636
True, the $5000+ (notice the "+" sign) 1266 TC is a wonderful headphone.

To say that the LCD-R isn't doing anything different, or better than the TC is nonsense. @M3NTAL was stating how amazing the trace coverage was, and how great the headphones are. New tech, or new designs, in the headphone world are always welcomed.
Price means nothing. And the question asked remains, what can be demonstrated with what such a large driver with such large coverage intrinsically provides comparatively.

The LCD-R does do nothing better than the TC.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #982 of 1,636
I do believe the resolution through the entire FR is better than the Abyys, so, possibly that? I've only heard the CC, not the TC.. but the LCD-R is superior to the CC in reference qualities such as high-er fidelity through the entire audible frequency response. The Abyys is still an amazing headphone and I wish I could own one, but I can't afford the headphone + the required amplifier. The LCD-R matching and exceeding random whatever Abyss CC setups that cost 10K is a complete win.

I guess you can go to the Abyss thread and maybe say "My 10K+ setup is still just maybe, slightly better in some way that I haven't stated than the 2.5K beautiful Audeze LCD-R that is a normal person headphone and not Frankenstein's monster"

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #983 of 1,636
I do believe the resolution through the entire FR is better than the Abyys, so, possibly that? I've only heard the CC, not the TC.. but the LCD-R is superior to the CC in reference qualities such as high-er fidelity through the entire audible frequency response. The Abyys is still an amazing headphone and I wish I could own one, but I can't afford the headphone + the required amplifier. The LCD-R matching and exceeding random whatever Abyss CC setups that cost 10K is a complete win.

I guess you can go to the Abyss thread and maybe say "My 10K+ setup is still just maybe, slightly better in some way that I haven't stated than the 2.5K beautiful Audeze LCD-R that is a normal person headphone and not Frankenstein's monster"
We'll just have to disagree. LCD-R isn't quite at the levels of the TC and just below Susvara and top stats. In fact, right there with the HEDDphone.

Ok. I get it. Price is always a crutch. One that is irrelevant for me.

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #984 of 1,636
We'll just have to disagree. LCD-R isn't quite at the levels of the TC and just below Susvara and top stats. In fact, right there with the HEDDphone.

Ok. I get it. Price is always a crutch. One that is irrelevant for me.

Yah... I agree here. Lcd-r us stellar for the price but even the d8kp beats it in outright reolution (in every area of fr too). Tbh, i prefer the lcd-R to d8kp but its not more resolving (on included amp at least, hopefully I will get to try more soon).

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #985 of 1,636
I have unfortunately not heard the TC or the D8000/Pro or owned the Susvara to play around with swapping pads. I don't believe they are worth the extra money. If we are arguing over fly farts and technical quibbles with 4 digit price difference, than I don't want to be apart of this hobby anymore. Mostly why I don't post much here anymore anyways.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #986 of 1,636
Yah... I agree here. Lcd-r us stellar for the price but even the d8kp beats it in outright reolution (in every area of fr too). Tbh, i prefer the lcd-R to d8kp but its not more resolving (on included amp at least, hopefully I will get to try more soon).
I would greatly expect the LCD-R to approach or match the d8kp in resolution with a different amp. In my brief test, using an attenuation circuit with the NCore 252 amp really brought the LCD-R alive. I would certainly say it even approached Susvara level of detail when I A/B compared the two. The holographic nature of the LCD-R pushed the perceived detail past the Susvara in many songs. But that was just my experience, YMMV.

All that being said, I have been A/B'ing the LCD-R to the LCD-MX4 for the past few hours, and I have to say the LCD-R beats the MX4 on every account except for sub bass. I hope to acquire a 4Z in the near future to compare as well.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #988 of 1,636
we seriously talking of mynute differences in detail here. Like 1% differences.

Ignoring how its impossible to give percentages to differences in intangability, the d8kp on a 1k portable amp are a full tier above lcd-R on jot in detail retrieval. Its not some minute difference

I have unfortunately not heard the TC or the D8000/Pro or owned the Susvara to play around with swapping pads. I don't believe they are worth the extra money. If we are arguing over fly farts and technical quibbles with 4 digit price difference, than I don't want to be apart of this hobby anymore. Mostly why I don't post much here anymore anyways.

I mean, you are the one that brought up the "technical quibbles". Plus, tbh, I don't think the differences here are as slight as you rmeber from your CC experience however long ago that was given how the d8kp stacks up and realizing that even still is a tier behind stuff like tc, raal, and sus

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #989 of 1,636
All is fair in this hobby and people vote with their wallets. I already know I'm the "loser" in this entire thing, but I made my 'vote' and hope we see more innovation and trickle down instead of trickle up.

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #990 of 1,636
If you have only heard the LCD-R out of the Jot-A, you have not heard what it is capable of. Which is not to say it is better sounding than the Susvara or the TC. I've only heard them at shows, so I can't say. I can say that it is better looking, more comfortable (for me), and easier to get a good fit with than the TC by a wide margin.

In some aspects of the LCD-R are better than the LCD-4, but it is also unforgiving of mediocre recording quality. The LCD-4 has something special in the upper-bass and midrange that I've not heard on another headphone. The LCD-R is superior in speed, detail, and image position. The sound stage is wider on LCD-R (by a little) but the front of the stage does not extend beyond your head.

Listening to Grateful Dead live recording on the LCD-R, I can clearly pick out each instrument, including bass, and you can tell where each musician is standing on stage. However, the older recordings sound threadbare. For 1970s Grateful Dead recordings, I'd take the LCD-4. For 1990s Grateful Dead recordings, I'd take the LCD-R.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back