Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #991 of 1,636
All is fair in this hobby and people vote with their wallets. I already know I'm the "loser" in this entire thing, but I made my 'vote' and hope we see more innovation and trickle down instead of trickle up.

No winners or loosers here. Just subjective opinions that its fine to disagree on.

I do agree I hope we see more of this tech kn the future though. Seems like a very cool direction to head

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #993 of 1,636
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #996 of 1,636
Yeah, I'm totally considering it as a convenience thing. However, I would like to hear your thoughts and experience. Especially on the install.

I ran into an issue on the install because Schiit forgot to send me one part. Since there was no parts list or instructions included, it took me awhile to figure out that something was missing. After I got the part, it was a breeze. If you are comfortable installing parts in a computer, you can probably do this. @AndrewYew posted instructions in the Schiit topic. The trick is that you have to bend the card slightly to get the pins aligned.

Edit: I'm talking about the new version of the DAC card. For the older cards, there is an excellent YouTube video. I recommend watching the video either way because it will show you how to open the case. One difference from the video is that the Jot-A/Jot 2 does not have a screw holding on the volume knob.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #997 of 1,636
Yeah, I'm totally considering it as a convenience thing. However, I would like to hear your thoughts and experience. Especially on the install.
Something to keep in mind is that while convenient they do not general sound as good as comprobabaly priced separates as a general rule. TBH I think the LCD-R shines with a bit higher end of a dac than is offered in the cards, but if thats out of your price range I would probabaly still recomend something seperate with a but of smoothness. I havent tried it yet (waiting to get my micro-bl back from a freind) but I suspect a burr brown from ifi may pair exceptionally well here.

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #998 of 1,636
Something to keep in mind is that while convenient they do not general sound as good as comprobabaly priced separates as a general rule. TBH I think the LCD-R shines with a bit higher end of a dac than is offered in the cards, but if thats out of your price range I would probabaly still recomend something seperate with a but of smoothness. I havent tried it yet (waiting to get my micro-bl back from a freind) but I suspect a burr brown from ifi may pair exceptionally well here.
Point taken and agreed. Again, convenience is the word. What would be even better is a safe amp to use with these that sounds better than the Jot-A.

Will continue watching every post in this thread on that subject. Thanks @Currawong for his continued experiments.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #999 of 1,636
@Currawong did a review of the DAVE recently and spoke about how the LCD-R sounded with it. He went back to the bifrost2 (which I own) and said he was missing some of the detail and space between the instruments (paraphrasing here. Watch the video for what he actually says).

Either way, these headphones are fast and resolving. I’d be interested to here what higher end DACs and Amps do for these headphones. I don’t think we are close to their potential yet.

I’d also be interested in other recommendations on EQ modifications each of you has found enjoyable.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,000 of 1,636
@Currawong did a review of the DAVE recently and spoke about how the LCD-R sounded with it. He went back to the bifrost2 (which I own) and said he was missing some of the detail and space between the instruments (paraphrasing here. Watch the video for what he actually says).

Either way, these headphones are fast and resolving. I’d be interested to here what higher end DACs and Amps do for these headphones. I don’t think we are close to their potential yet.

I’d also be interested in other recommendations on EQ modifications each of you has found enjoyable.
I have started using multiple EQs added on top of each other, depending on the music I'm listening to.

On the RME Adi 2 FS I have a 6 DB bass shelf starting at 125 hz, and a 5db increase at 4.7khz. I don't recall what Q setting I settled on.

I also use EQ APO as a software EQ on top of that. I have several different profiles for the LCD-R. Some are just extra bass boost, some have different mid and treble alterations.

I've found that I'm happy with minimal EQ changes with these headphones. I couldn't say the same about other Audeze headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,001 of 1,636

Here is Currawong’s review of the Chord DAVE and mscaler. Great watch, but if you want to hear him discuss the DAVE bs the Bifrost2 with the LCD-R, go to around 16 minutes into the review.

I have started using multiple EQs added on top of each other, depending on the music I'm listening to.

On the RME Adi 2 FS I have a 6 DB bass shelf starting at 125 hz, and a 5db increase at 4.7khz. I don't recall what Q setting I settled on.

I also use EQ APO as a software EQ on top of that. I have several different profiles for the LCD-R. Some are just extra bass boost, some have different mid and treble alterations.

I've found that I'm happy with minimal EQ changes with these headphones. I couldn't say the same about other Audeze headphones.
Awesome! I’m thinking about a bass shelf myself. I used @Rubin’s EQ settings, which are great, and eliminate the 5Khz-ish dip, but I want more of that Audeze sub bass.

I have like 3 EQ profiles for the LCD-R that differ in certain regions based on the music as well. They are such an interesting headphone. They present music so differently depending on what genre, what song, and what volume you are listening too.

I’m excited for @Audeze to release their reveal EQ plugin to see what their sound engineers had in mind for this headphone.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #1,002 of 1,636
I’m excited for @Audeze to release their reveal EQ plugin to see what their sound engineers had in mind for this headphone.

Even better, they just tune it better out of the box :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I think the LCD-4, for example, is a very capable headphone, but you have to EQ the crap out of it to get it sounding right--even the reveal plugin doesn't help much.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #1,004 of 1,636
If anyone wants to start an owners list, I believe mine are #40 based on the serial number. Make sure it is known that #40 comes from a home of love and pure enjoyment.
I have #53

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,005 of 1,636
Is it the last two digits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back