Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 30, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #931 of 1,636
I'm pretty sure they are leather-free. If the pads were a little thicker or if the foam wasn't so soft then I don't think there would be (m)any issues with the fazors.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends
Ok cool. I also thought they were leather free. I was reading that others are having issues with the new pads and the fazors touching their ears when they replaced their old pads on all other models of LCDs.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #932 of 1,636
That's an expensive dac/amp to risk...did you run it by Rob Watts to get his thoughts on running a 2ohm load? He's very active in the forums...as I'm sure you know.
The TT2 was designed, according to Rob, to work with low impedance loads. He uses it with 3 Ohm speakers. Now if only a DAVE could do that...

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #934 of 1,636
The TT2 was designed, according to Rob, to work with low impedance loads. He uses it with 3 Ohm speakers. Now if only a DAVE could do that...

Also, just fwiw, I bugged chord about the hugo2 and they said definitively no. The esentialy went "we have no idea why someone would make that or what would possess yiu to buy it. Thr hugo2 would die. I guess TT2 rear XLRs could work as they do go that low but try at your own risk.

Tbh the ".....2 ohm?..... you sure?" I keep getting from manufacturers is fantastic

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #935 of 1,636
For purely selfish reasons I am praying to God that they don't! Extreme rarity is a good thing in this case.
So you don't own a LCD-R and want to protect your wallet?

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #937 of 1,636
Actually I do own one and want to protect my investment!
Well in that case I don't see it as valid reason to hope for strong limitation

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #938 of 1,636
Well in that case I don't see it as valid reason to hope for strong limitation

You don't understand wanting to protect the value of an asset? Like its purely selfish in this case (im with him though tbh), but how dont you at least understand the feeling?

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #939 of 1,636
You don't understand wanting to protect the value of an asset? Like its purely selfish in this case (im with him though tbh), but how dont you at least understand the feeling?
I'm all for the value of my assets being protected, but in all honesty if re-branding/manufacturing the LCD-R leads to better amp options, I'm all game.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #940 of 1,636
Others having the opportunity to buy it as well doesn't affect his enjoyment of the product at all.

If his Intention is to sell it for Profit I can understand it but don't really feel for him.
In this case extreme rarity would also only be a good thing for those wanting to Profit from resales and a bad thing for everyone else.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #941 of 1,636
If his Intention is to sell it for Profit I can understand it but don't really feel for him.
In this case extreme rarity would also only be a good thing for those wanting to Profit from resales and a bad thing for everyone else.

I mean, like I said, it is a selfish reason for sure, but idk how its not a valid one.

I'm all for the value of my assets being protected, but in all honesty if re-branding/manufacturing the LCD-R leads to better amp options, I'm all game.

Agree actualy. I would rather see more amps handle it and lose a bit of money. Its not the best objectively performing can ive heard but its subjectively my favorite so I would love to tweak it some more

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #942 of 1,636
Also, just fwiw, I bugged chord about the hugo2 and they said definitively no. The esentialy went "we have no idea why someone would make that or what would possess yiu to buy it. Thr hugo2 would die. I guess TT2 rear XLRs could work as they do go that low but try at your own risk.

Tbh the ".....2 ohm?..... you sure?" I keep getting from manufacturers is fantastic
I love how Chord thinks they are the greatest company in the world and just assume all other DACs or headphones that can't play with their equipment are trash. Chord should spend some time listening to their competitors DACs and looking at other headphones that might not fit their "this is how you do it and everyone else is terrible" attitude. Have they never heard of RAAL?

I mean, like I said, it is a selfish reason for sure, but idk how its not a valid one.

Agree actualy. I would rather see more amps handle it and lose a bit of money. Its not the best objectively performing can ive heard but its subjectively my favorite so I would love to tweak it some more
I think it would be cool if Audeze released a version of the LCD-R that would keep the 67 units as a special release, but create something similar for other headphone enthusiasts. Maybe use a different wood or a color scheme that would keep the 67 units a bit special.

The other issue may be with Schiit. They seem to still be having major supply chain issues. I was on their site yesterday and most of their stuff is a 6-8 week lead time. If Schiit is going to create another bundled Jotunheim A, or list the Jotunheim A as a separate amp on their site, I could see the delays longer than 6-8 weeks for that product.

If Audeze were to release the LCD-R in some form factor, they would most likely need to lift the warranty restriction with regards to pairing with other amps. 2 Ohm impedances are pretty rare amongst headphones, and we don't really know how many amps can actually accept an impedance value that low. They would also have to sell an adapter with the LCD-R that doesn't terminate in the female XLR.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #943 of 1,636
After checking with Woo Audio (who have an LCD-R in-house) and confirming with Currawong that I can use a standard Audeze LCD cable, I decided to try my LCD-R on my Woo WA-5. The results are very promising, but I only had time for a short listen. Maybe better bass than normal mode on the Jot-A and a less in-your-face presentation (the one thing I did not like about the LCD-R). Perhaps a small loss in sound stage width, but I need to listen to more material. Try it at your own risk!

I gotta get back to work, but I was excited and wanted to share what I found so far.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #944 of 1,636
After checking with Woo Audio (who have an LCD-R in-house) and confirming with Currawong that I can use a standard Audeze LCD cable, I decided to try my LCD-R on my Woo WA-5. The results are very promising, but I only had time for a short listen. Maybe better bass than normal mode on the Jot-A and a less in-your-face presentation (the one thing I did not like about the LCD-R). Perhaps a small loss in sound stage width, but I need to listen to more material. Try it at your own risk!

I gotta get back to work, but I was excited and wanted to share what I found so far.

I've been very very close to buying a wa22 and wa8 once woo confirmed they both run the R tbh. Currently talking to Eddie current about possibly uodating/adding transformers to the balancing act to run the 2ohm load too

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #945 of 1,636
Better amp options will naturally occur over time regardless of whether or not the LCD-R is rebranded/released more widely. Users are already relating their experiences with other amp options on this forum and I expect more owners to do the same. That is the nature of this hobby and one of the reasons why I love it!

Others having the opportunity to buy it as well doesn't affect his enjoyment of the product at all.

Obviously my comments were tongue in cheek, but I suppose it's always the case that some (perhaps those who do not already own the product and want to at least try it) will take it the wrong way!

You are correct that others having the opportunity to buy it does not impact my enjoyment, but as you have also conceded it certainly impacts the rarity and ultimately the long term resale value of the unit.

My intention is not to sell my unit for a profit. I tend to be attracted to unusual/rare headphones and rarely sell them. However, it's good to know that if you want or are forced to sell you could do so with minimum impact on your wallet. I have nothing against someone who wants to do so. Everyone had an equal opportunity to buy a unit; some lucked out and some did not. That is life. If someone who lucked out wants to subsequently sell it and the market supports them doing so at a higher price than they paid, what is wrong with that? In most cases it works the other way and early adopters take a huge hit so the rest of us can benefit by buying used. No one complains about that!

My comments were basically intended as a (hopefully) fun caution to those who have owned the unit and have already sold it without at least trying to find a work around for some of their reported issues or explored its full potential. They are perhaps losing sight of the fact that over the long term this product has the unusual potential to be an extremely rare and in demand unit given its level of performance and the fact that Audeze may never release it widely. In that case the prudent thing to do (purely from a financial point of view) might be to wait to see what Audeze eventually does before selling it on.

Of course, if I user does not care about that and simply wants to move the unit on to another curious member (as some have already done) that is quite commendable and keeping with the spirit of the hobby. Just don't be surprised if that other member tries to leverage its rarity in a manner that you never did.

I've been very very close to buying a wa22 and wa8 once woo confirmed they both run the R tbh. Currently talking to Eddie current about possibly uodating/adding transformers to the balancing act to run the 2ohm load too
Good on you @eskamobob1 !

I'm still trying to determine how the Woo Audio Wa8 could possibly power the LCD-R. I do own the Wa8, but it only has a single ended outputs. Did Woo Audio say how they got it to work?

Btw the wa8 with upgraded tubes is pretty sweet! Another one of those items I will likely never sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back