Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 26, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #901 of 1,636
I think that due to its sensitivity, it may be less likely to risk the amplifier. I am running the TT2 set at low gain at -50 to -40db or so!
That's an expensive dac/amp to risk...did you run it by Rob Watts to get his thoughts on running a 2ohm load? He's very active in the forums...as I'm sure you know.

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #902 of 1,636
That's an expensive dac/amp to risk...did you run it by Rob Watts to get his thoughts on running a 2ohm load? He's very active in the forums...as I'm sure you know.

Fwiw, all of the "pairings" i have been posting were confirmation from the manufacturers that at least the amp wouldn't break

I'd have to check to be sure, but being essentially a planar, it should have a flat impedance.

If I'm being honest, their respince didn't make a whole lot of sense to be as susvara draws even more current and the LCD-R should indeed have a flat impedence curve, but I'm certainly not going to chance it with an amp that nice if they said no. Especialy since I don't realy understand how current drive topology works tbh

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #904 of 1,636
I'd love to see some measurements for the LCD-R. Raal's impedance is not flat, but I don't know if the LCD-R is closer to a planer or a ribbon in its behavior. https://www.stereophile.com/images/120gram.fig1b.jpg

Raal is a true ribbon. LCD-R is a high trace coverage planar with normal magnets and drum tensioned (aka, all the way around the ring) instead of just at the very ends (and realistically just at 2 points) like the raal are

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #905 of 1,636
Hi, all. A very generous friend loaned me his LCD-R + Jot A combo and I gave it a good listen. I decided to do a full-fledged review to hopefully:

1) increase the information level for anyone who might hope to snag one of these on the used market

2) do my best to educate the vast majority of audiophiles who will never hear this headphone about what this new driver tech brings to the table

3) put positive pressure on Audeze to either make more of these or take the next step with the technology and introduce a more widely produced model based on it.

Fingers crossed I accomplished those things! Here's the review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audeze-lcd-r-schiit-jotunheim-a.25380/reviews

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #906 of 1,636
Hi, all. A very generous friend loaned me his LCD-R + Jot A combo and I gave it a good listen. I decided to do a full-fledged review to hopefully:

1) increase the information level for anyone who might hope to snag one of these on the used market

2) do my best to educate the vast majority of audiophiles who will never hear this headphone about what this new driver tech brings to the table

3) put positive pressure on Audeze to either make more of these or take the next step with the technology and introduce a more widely produced model based on it.

"More often than not I’d hear something on the LCD-R and think, “wait, did I hear that echo on the HiFiMan?” And the answer was always yes,"

I had this same exact experience when comparing the LCD-R to the Susvara! Especially in well mastered older/classic rock recordings.

Great review, and a very fair assessment. Audeze, make more of these!!

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #907 of 1,636
Aug 27, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #908 of 1,636
LCD-R up on CAM for those Canadians who've got to have it. Not mine.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649769266-audeze-lcd-r-schiit-jotunheim-a/

Price is in Cdn dollars and presumambly includes an amount for custom and shipping charges. Still a bit high though ....
These were originally my pair that I sold because it was simpler than paying big shipping back to the USA and hoping I could get back the $400 I paid in taxes. But this guy is asking for a lot more than he paid me, so I don't know how to feel about that.

I sold them because of the comfort as well, and because I don't have the opportunity to sit down and listen at a full rig often enough to justify the price. I'll miss them and feel very lucky that I got a chance to own them for a while, but ultimately it wasn't worth it to me keep them. If I were more flush with cash, I'd keep them specifically for epic tracks.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #909 of 1,636
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #910 of 1,636
These were originally my pair that I sold because it was simpler than paying big shipping back to the USA and hoping I could get back the $400 I paid in taxes. But this guy is asking for a lot more than he paid me, so I don't know how to feel about that.

I sold them because of the comfort as well, and because I don't have the opportunity to sit down and listen at a full rig often enough to justify the price. I'll miss them and feel very lucky that I got a chance to own them for a while, but ultimately it wasn't worth it to me keep them. If I were more flush with cash, I'd keep them specifically for epic tracks.
I didn't realize you sold them. I am actually using your EQ profile that you posted here a few pages back. It really does help and I appreciate you providing that. I am not the best at applying my own EQs and usually have to rely on others for baseline changes to the frequency response as a starting point. I think there are a few other tweaks that could be made with regards to EQ of the LCD-R and I am hoping that the Audeze Reveal Plugin gets released soon. I remember a community member saying that they had been in contact with Audeze about creating a Reveal Plugin for the LCD-R which is awesome.

Excellent review and definitely not a TLDR for me. I have noticed a lot of what you had said with regards to shout and brightness on the LCD-R. I am honestly thinking that the jotunheim and the original recordings of certain songs play a large part in this. The regular jotunheim 2 seems to be more of an "in your face" and exciting amp. I have a feeling that a different amp might suit your needs better. The HE-1000v2 does have a very relaxed and very pleasing sound to my ears, while the LCD-R is this intense master of bringing all the information in a track right to your ears. The soundstage (or soundscape as I almost want to call it for these headphones) is quite interesting and provides a level of holographic depth and imaging I haven't heard from many headphones other than electrostats.

I had the same experience with subtle sounds like little echoes, or cymbal crashes. I felt like I was hearing stuff I had never heard before. I would switch to other headphones to see if I could hear it, and of course you could, but the sound was distance, lacked presence, or didn't have the attack or decay that the LCD-R brings to the party. I wish I had a pair of electrostats to compare side by side, as I am only going off of memory of how those portrayed each instrument or sound in such a way.

I am very pleased with the LCD-R. It is a fun an engaging headphone while being insanely resolving. The soundscape that is created really enhances the listening experience for me, and to be honest, these headphones remind me more of speaker listening than almost any others I have tried (take that HD800). It doesn't have the soundstage width of an HD-800, but it is much more musical, handles sub-bass and bass better, and provides depth, clarity, and imaging that is hard to match.

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #911 of 1,636
Excellent review and definitely not a TLDR for me.

Thank you!

The regular jotunheim 2 seems to be more of an "in your face" and exciting amp. I have a feeling that a different amp might suit your needs better.

One regret I have about this review is not having the ability to separate the Jot A and LCD-R. I have also reviewed the standard issue Jot 2. I don't recall it being all that detail-forward but it definitely has a lot macrodynamic punch. It will pop you. Even so, I hypothesize the Jot A actually is somewhat of a bottleneck on the LCD-R, unfortunately. The LCD-R seems to have the technical chops to hang with many $3K+ headphones but the Jot A is a re-tooled mid-fi amp. That said, I don't know that the Jot A is responsible for the timbral qualities. My experience with Schiit is they tend to have excellent timbre in their DACs and amps. That along with macrodynamic punch and spatial presentation are consitutes the strengths of Schiit's house sound, IMO. My hope is that Audeze develops a new model based on this 'ribbon' driver in the near future that is not so tied to a specific amp. I think releasing such a can along with a list of tested/safe amps could be an interesting strategy, but would also require some additional work on their part to actually test a range of amps.

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #912 of 1,636
Thank you!

One regret I have about this review is not having the ability to separate the Jot A and LCD-R. I have also reviewed the standard issue Jot 2. I don't recall it being all that detail-forward but it definitely has a lot macrodynamic punch. It will pop you. Even so, I hypothesize the Jot A actually is somewhat of a bottleneck on the LCD-R, unfortunately. The LCD-R seems to have the technical chops to hang with many $3K+ headphones but the Jot A is a re-tooled mid-fi amp. That said, I don't know that the Jot A is responsible for the timbral qualities. My experience with Schiit is they tend to have excellent timbre in their DACs and amps. That along with macrodynamic punch and spatial presentation are consitutes the strengths of Schiit's house sound, IMO. My hope is that Audeze develops a new model based on this 'ribbon' driver in the near future that is not so tied to a specific amp. I think releasing such a can along with a list of tested/safe amps could be an interesting strategy, but would also require some additional work on their part to actually test a range of amps.
Agreed. I don’t really want to trash the Jot A, but not being able to experiment with other amps is a bit of a struggle due to warranty and current concerns, kind of has me locked me in. I’m looking forward to other head-fi’ers reviews that have changed out the amp.

As for the timbre on the LCD-R, it’s really pretty solid for Audeze. The HE-6SE is probably my most accurate timbre capable headphone I own, and it is better than the LCD-R by a slight margin but it beats out the HE-6SE for me in many other categories.

I think for the price, the LCD-R definitely hits above its price point and makes up for some weaknesses quite well in other areas that it does so well.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #913 of 1,636
Wow, this guy is the second owner according to his CAM post... I doubt those headphones have even had a chance to break in... they spend more time being re-boxed and shipped from country to country than on anyone's ears.
Listening to some Rolling Stones tonight in honour of Charlie Watts and this setup is right up there with the very best that I've heard!

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #914 of 1,636
FINALLY! It's time...

PXL_20210728_190109580.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back