Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 30, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #467 of 1,636
Is this Audeze Carbon thing real? I can’t find any information on it online.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #468 of 1,636

+1 -- I googled it last night and found a link to an "exclusive announcement" on another headphone forum, but apparently it was taken down very quickly as clicking through yields an error page on that forum. So, the only evidence I found was a tease about a new electrostatic model exclusively announced by the Audeze CEO in an interview, and that the name was "Carbon" -- that's literally all I could find.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #469 of 1,636
It has been linked yesterday, but renoved from the source.

Guess we have to wait a little for the official announcement

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #470 of 1,636
+1 -- I googled it last night and found a link to an "exclusive announcement" on another headphone forum, but apparently it was taken down very quickly as clicking through yields an error page on that forum. So, the only evidence I found was a tease about a new electrostatic model exclusively announced by the Audeze CEO in an interview, and that the name was "Carbon" -- that's literally all I could find.
Still have the link?

Maybe we can find some in the cache

https://archivedweb.com/

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #473 of 1,636
I checked it, I do have the link -- unfortunately, it does not return any cached results.
From the forum post that was removed, it was stated the the new audeze would be a carbon nanotube /nanofiber electrostat headphone. No accompanied amplifier will be provided, although I thinki remember some one mentioning it would use the stax interface.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #474 of 1,636
Jul 30, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #475 of 1,636
So on that other forum there was a link to this podcast channel (the actual podcast is no longer available)

At around 43:35 in the episode that is now unlisted I think they began talking about the new product. I listened the the whole podcast and made a few bullets for those that missed it. I believe it will be officially announced on Monday and I think available for purchase. I don't think it will be limited like the lcd r, so no need to rush to buy I suppose.

-efficient electrostatic headphone (uses STAX pro bias) using carbon nanotubes as the conductive material rather than some sort of metallic coating
-sounds like it will be released any day now ($4500)
-aim is for sound to be as natural and true to the recording as possible
-same technology is used for a separate medical device that could not use electrical or metallic-based materials (optical and carbon based instead) and needed noise cancellation

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #477 of 1,636
So on that other forum there was a link to this podcast channel (the actual podcast is no longer available)

At around 43:35 in the episode that is now unlisted I think they began talking about the new product. I listened the the whole podcast and made a few bullets for those that missed it. I believe it will be officially announced on Monday and I think available for purchase. I don't think it will be limited like the lcd r, so no need to rush to buy I suppose.

-efficient electrostatic headphone (uses STAX pro bias) using carbon nanotubes as the conductive material rather than some sort of metallic coating
-sounds like it will be released any day now ($4500)
-aim is for sound to be as natural and true to the recording as possible
-same technology is used for a separate medical device that could not use electrical or metallic-based materials (optical and carbon based instead) and needed noise cancellation

IIRC it will be a STAX pro bias at 250v which is rather efficient, Sankar targeted a price of $4300 and the release slated for end of July.
Audeze is supposedly to formally make an announcement Monday.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #479 of 1,636
LCD-R hit the sweet spot for me personally as far as pricing goes. The hobby has changed quite a bit over the years. I've always believed that $1,000 should buy the best of the best for headphones and I'd be willing to spend a little more if it were truly next level. It helps keep me grounded with reality and hopefully keeps manufacturers in the know of what we as a community believe Price/Performance should be set at.

I feel like the LCD-R system hits the perfect price for the performance it provides and the total product experience. I mean - this SYSTEM costs less than a Verite and honestly, it's a different ball game and the aesthetics are just as good or better than a Verite also, but that is my personal preference. The Lichtenberg Fractal rings are pretty "DOPE" and aren't a copy of what Alex did with the RAD-0 or what Zach is doing with the beautiful wood variants at ZMF.

I will say one thing so that readers don't get too uppity - the LCD-R still isn't the last word in Hi-Fi, but it is for sure in the realm of the highest fidelity headphones that have even been. I think after the warranty period is over and amplifier pairings are sussed out a little, we might get a full picture of what these are capable of. The Audeze Carbon will overshadow them for sure, but anyone who got one of the LCD-R's is getting something special.

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #480 of 1,636
LCD-R hit the sweet spot for me personally as far as pricing goes. The hobby has changed quite a bit over the years. I've always believed that $1,000 should buy the best of the best for headphones and I'd be willing to spend a little more if it were truly next level. It helps keep me grounded with reality and hopefully keeps manufacturers in the know of what we as a community believe Price/Performance should be set at.

I feel like the LCD-R system hits the perfect price for the performance it provides and the total product experience. I mean - this SYSTEM costs less than a Verite and honestly, it's a different ball game and the aesthetics are just as good or better than a Verite also, but that is my personal preference. The Lichtenberg Fractal rings are pretty "DOPE" and aren't a copy of what Alex did with the RAD-0 or what Zach is doing with the beautiful wood variants at ZMF.

I will say one thing so that readers don't get too uppity - the LCD-R still isn't the last word in Hi-Fi, but it is for sure in the realm of the highest fidelity headphones that have even been. I think after the warranty period is over and amplifier pairings are sussed out a little, we might get a full picture of what these are capable of. The Audeze Carbon will overshadow them for sure, but anyone who got one of the LCD-R's is getting something special.

This is exactly my take as well. I had fully saved up for an aic-10 + sus + 1266, and tbh, I don't rraly doubt those are better chains than the R, but with the R in hand now, I just don't realy have any desire to make that jump at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back