Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #271 of 1,644
Audeze will always have a 'house sound' that leans towards dark, I believe. Even the LCD-X, which is supposed to be the more 'neutral' of the series is just too dark for my tastes.
If you heard the 2021 LCD-XC you would have to remove “will always” from the above statement. They are nearly HD800s bright.

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #272 of 1,644
I don’t know if my order got canceled. Got a ups shipping notices and I only ship to a store in NJ if I don’t want my wife to know. I doubt Perun decided to ship my Rock through UPS from Russia. Unless someone sent me something without telling.

If you heard the 2021 LCD-XC you would have to remove “will always” from the above statement. They are nearly HD800s bright.
I agree LCD x is very lively no darkness. They could be dark if your hearing is bad. Only dark lcd is the classic the actual lcd 2 is a super warm but not dark. The X is not standard. Too me the 2 and 3 would be the original house sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #273 of 1,644
Audeze will always have a 'house sound' that leans towards dark, I believe. Even the LCD-X, which is supposed to be the more 'neutral' of the series is just too dark for my tastes.
Which is a shame, but can be corrected with EQ at least.

My ultimate headphone would be the bottomless deep bass slam of Audeze combined with the upper midrange of the Final A4000 and the detail retrieval of an electrostat. Deep rumble that feels like you're watching a rocket launch live, slam that'll knock the wax our of your ears, upper midrange that's just past the line of shouty, and detail levels that make anything less than lossless unlistenable, sign me up.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #274 of 1,644
One thing I never could tolerate, was an overripe low end that bleeds into, and impedes into the upper bass/lower mid-range. It's why I went looking for the Raal.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #275 of 1,644
The finish is truly beautiful, having this as a limited run is really great, it will keep resale value, so you can basically use them for a few weeks then sell them at no loss. Or just keep them if you like them. The carbon fiber, with the samurai/ninja kinda japanese old technique in the wood, with such a perfect polish... Oh my good!! If only it was real leather from a japanese sacred cow. You can do that yourself though, replace the pads I guess. Good for Schiit too, their amps are the best price/performance. Pity hard to get here in Europe... Cheers!!

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #276 of 1,644
So Raal has replacement drivers because they wear out. Audeze makes no mention of renewing the drivers. Is the Audeze a Ribbon like Raal. The description didn’t make me feel like it’s a actual ribbon tweeter.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #278 of 1,644
I’ve been through actual search of who makes flagship bass head headphones and it goes to the 1266. Audeze sorry doesn’t even come close. If you break the seal a bit in the rear of LCD 3 the low frequencies get more present like the 1266.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #279 of 1,644
So Raal has replacement drivers because they wear out. Audeze makes no mention of renewing the drivers.
If I understand correctly, these are planar drivers with increased trace density rather than actual folded ribbons.
That being said, this makes me wonder if Audeze has backup drivers in case any of them fail. Didn't think about this aspect of them being limited. @Audeze do you have any info on that?

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #280 of 1,644
There is a warranty so I imagine if they can't replace the drivers they'll work something out to replace the headphones... but yea, would be good to know. @Audeze

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #281 of 1,644
If I understand correctly, these are planar drivers with increased trace density rather than actual folded ribbons.
That being said, this makes me wonder if Audeze has backup drivers in case any of them fail. Didn't think about this aspect of them being limited. @Audeze do you have any info on that?
This is my understanding of it as well. That Audeze's ribbon driver is made in a similar way to their planar drivers and that the density of the conductive trace is what makes it unique. I think in the RAAL drivers the membrane is rectangular and secured on only two sides and on the Audeze drivers the membrane is secured all around. The RAAL's driver needs to be more efficient to produce higher SPL because it is not coupled to your head as the LCD-R. If the ribbon on the LCD-R is similar to the Raal's I'd be really interested in learning about that.

With the release of this ribbon headphone and Audeze hinting that they are working on something "even more radical" I'm curious as to the possibility of Audeze releasing a headphone with AMT driver technology.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #282 of 1,644
Congratulations!

I'm listing to the newest album by Barenaked Ladies (DeTour de Force on Apple Music...High Res Lossless) and absolutely loving what I'm hearing. To call them fast is an understatement...these headphones are incredibly detailed, fast with a very holographic sound stage that in the end may be bigger than the LCD-4/4z? The treble is very extended, quick and yet oh so smooth without a hint of a shout or stridency.

Looking forward to your impressions!
Yea, I had an inkling these would perform quite well.

The real stretch of course will be to see how well they can scale and up to what they may perform to.

Climbing the summit of STAX or all-arounders like Susvara or monsters like TC will be the challenge.

I had hoped they would provide the speed and ultra-clarity capability with some form of real bass response and match a real Goldilocks zone.

I guess we shall see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back