Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #31 of 94
Even since my AK120 died, I've been after its replacement.
Still love mine.. and going strong after 10 years with original battery even.
..still playing 8+ hours as i just tested

They did it right in 2013 aesthetically and i dont need a change.

But as new it did 12+ so maybe time for a new battery

20240330_102519.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #32 of 94
Plenty of entry-level players without Android, but not many premium hardware players without it. I do understand why many people like Android for its flexibility with 3rd-party apps, but I like the idea of decent hardware without being forced to use Google OS - I have utter contempt for that particular corporation infecting modern society as completely as it can. That, plus I like the idea of non-Android OS having more streamlined code than an OS designed to do everything but the kitchen sink. Offering customers the possibility of non-Android usage is a good thing, whether it means a player with only one OS or containing 2 options, at boot-up, as at least one competitor does.

Obviously, one hopes that a non-Android OS is developed sufficiently to work correctly and smoothly.

In spite of my concerns over the sharp-edged design and the output impedance, I sincerely applaud Shanling for producing a relatively pure DAP, without unnecessary bloat, at a relatively premium hardware level, and at a moderate price, and I really do wish them well with it. It's a direction I would like to see more devices go. Maybe Mk.II M5 Ultra may get my money, in 2-3years time.
I do like Android, but not on a DAP, it's usually a version that is no longer receiving support/updates and tends to leave the DAP interface looking quite clunky. But at the same time within reason the 3rd party apps can still be updated 99% of the time

Personally as long as the manufacturer supports their OS I am happy, but then again I have had experiences where after about 3 years or no new updates are available for the OS and/or the 3rd party apps such as Tidal, Qobuz etc.

I have been, as a result, holding off on replacing my Onkyo DP-X1 which I have had for approx 8 years with a battery I will need to replace at sometime as I personally cannot justify even the reasonable price of $589 for this DAP right now, but then again when it comes to Audio equipment I have never really ever been sensible :beyersmile:

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #33 of 94
I think you were probably referring to Ibasso DAPs with the dual OS support. I can understand why people might prefer a non Android OS for various reasons. But all things considered, I just don't think such a DAP would be very versatile and future proof.

Yes, I was respectfully not mentioning a competing brand in this thread.

How future-proof does a DAP need to be? I have several tiny DAPs from a Korean DAP brand that are still working perfectly after several years.

Only future-proofing I see a demand for (not for me, but for some people) is in relation to evolving apps (esp. streaming) changing their OS requirements, and for a DAP that isn't open to 3rd-party apps, this would be largely irrelevant.

but then again when it comes to Audio equipment I have never really ever been sensible

You'll fit right in, here on Head-fi, then!

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #34 of 94
Very interesting dap.
I own M6U and love the sound.
I’d really like to see Shanling develop a dap with similar output power and sound signature but with battery lasting 14-20 hours using 4.4 on medium gain.
Maybe by using DACs that consume less power? Rather than just a larger battery (and correspondingly larger dap design). Again, M6U is great but time between charges is too short.
Await sound comparison between this dap and M6U.

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #35 of 94
Return to our simpler MTouch portable players, designed for users demanding the best sound quality, without all the complexities and issues of Android systems.

04.jpg

M5 Ultra is the first player to reveal our new body design, abandoning smooth round lines for more aggressive angular shapes and edges. Its construction follows our high standards, with a machined aluminium frame and glass panels, a bright 4.7-inch HD touchscreen, a trio of hardware buttons for playback control and our classic volume wheel, now with extra illumination.

Running on Ingenic X2000 platform, featuring our latest generation of MTouch system. With a customizable main menu providing quick access to all the files stored on MicroSD card, alongside the built-in Tidal Online Streaming app (To be added with firmware update). And offering a wide range of other playback modes, including USB DAC, DLNA, Airplay and Bluetooth Receiver, now updated with a new wireless module for Bluetooth 5.2 support.

Audio section combines our experience with H7 and M9 Plus. From H7 taking over the balanced amplifier built around Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 and the flagship AKM AK4499EX DAC and AK4191 modulator, but adding the improved I/V conversion stage from M9 Plus. Resulting in our favourite smooth and slightly warmed up sound, that reaches deep into sub-bass, envelops you in a rich soundstage and provides plentiful detail. And thanks to its beefed-up amplifier, providing up to 1100 mW @ 32 Ohm, M5 Ultra becomes one of our most powerful portable players, right alongside the flagship M9 Plus.

Shanling M5 Ultra will retail at 589 USD
Shipping to our international distributors starts at the beginning of April.

01.jpg

Specification
Dimensions: 120 x 75 x 19.5 mm
Weight: 247 g
DAC: AKM AK4499EX + AK4191
Amplifier: Dual TPA6120A
Platform: Ingenic X2000
System: MTouch developed by Shanling
Screen: 4.7-inch 1280 x 720 Touchscreen
Memory: MicroSD card slot
Hi-Res Support: PCM 32 bit / 768 kHz & DSD512
USB Input: XMOS XU316
Wi-Fi: 2.4/5G, supporting DLNA, Airplay, NAS and OTA Updates
Bluetooth: Upgraded 5.2 with Bi-Directional support of LDAC, aptX HD, aptX, AAC
Companion app: Eddict Player app through SyncLink
Connectors: 3.5mm Single-Ended, 4.4mm Balanced, USB-C
Battery: 6000 mAh
Battery life: Up to 11 hours

Single-Ended Output:
Power: 315 mW @ 32 Ohm
THD+N: 0.0009%
Channel Separation: 75 dB
SNR: 121 dB
Output impedance: 4.7 Ohm

Balanced Output:
Power: 1100 mW @ 32 Ohm
THD+N: 0.0007%
Channel Separation: 110 dB
SNR: 124 dB
Output impedance: 6.6 Ohm

resize_06.jpg
Interesting, +1 for the big battery. I wonder is 2 sd card slots would be possible to have in some later iteration, since it uses MTouch?

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #36 of 94
@Shanling hmmm I currently own an H5 and love the sound but the M5 ultra has me super intrigued, I see same output impedance am I right to think it will have similar sound and bass performance?

Also will you add later more streaming apps like spotify ? As there is not only tidal that exists 😅

I really like the M5 ultra concept very affordable

The DAC is different and the amplifier is also a bit adjusted. M5 Ultra plays more on level of H7 than H5.

Does this have a warm sound like the m8 and m6 ultra or more neutral sound?

Not as warm as these two, but definitely on warmer side.

Interesting, +1 for the big battery. I wonder is 2 sd card slots would be possible to have in some later iteration, since it uses MTouch?

Our management don't like the idea of two card slots, not something we ever got on our devices.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #37 of 94
Very nice. Considering hard.

Will it have a Line Out function?

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #39 of 94
One last thing: Is it possible to flip the screen orientation in settings? I mean, in the end... I can endure it, buuuuut... headphone outputs on the top of a DAP is unnatural. Painful to deal with.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #40 of 94
So the M5 Ultra at $589 or the Cayin N3 Ultra at $529?

The N3 Ultra with tube amp is a heavily stripped down android DAP with no streaming. The M5 Ultra is a non-android DAP with limited streaming capability. The battery life between the two is close with the M5 Ultra having a small edge. Somehow I feel more confident in the Hiby audio optimized android OS than the Shanling MTouch OS. The N3 Ultra has a more powerful Snapdragon SOC. Having owned 2 Shanling MTouch DAP's I found the OS to be the weakest part of both DAP's. I am hoping Shanling has made some major improvements to the MTouch OS.

Since both are brand new and both releasing about the same time this seems like a good wait until Black Friday comparison with lots of reviews and user opinions to come in the interim I am sure along with some firmware updates.

The N3 Ultra is currently on the top of my list of most desired DAP's so it will take some really good M5 Ultra reviews for it to unseat the N3 Ultra.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #42 of 94
Hello
Will there be an dap with the New akm 4499ex and Android for around 1000 to 1500? I know that the m9 plus is using it but is to expensive for me. Would be really nice. Otherwise maybe i will try the m5 ultra.
Cheers Jonathan

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #43 of 94
Balanced Line out?

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #44 of 94
I was looking for a dap with this akm dac chipset, then the shanling popped up. Looks good. Shame there is no support for streaming services other than Tidal. That's a pass.
Go for Shanling M6 Ultra for nice AKM DAC Chip and streaming.

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #45 of 94
Very nice. Considering hard.

Will it have a Line Out function?

Balanced Line out?

One last thing: Is it possible to flip the screen orientation in settings? I mean, in the end... I can endure it, buuuuut... headphone outputs on the top of a DAP is unnatural. Painful to deal with.

It has line-Out mode, you can use it with both 3.5mm and 4.4mm output. Just please, be sure to connect the balanced out only to balanced input on amp. Do not try to run some adapters to RCA, no matter what some random person on Aliexpress sells to you (I saw way too many of these recently).

No screen rotation function on M5 Ultra for now.

There are now some fantastic pictures of the two versions on Linsoul. Shanling have done a really good job design-wise, though a nice leather case will be needed to smooth out those edges before it goes into any pocket…

Leather cases available in either black or brown.

I was looking for a dap with this akm dac chipset, then the shanling popped up. Looks good. Shame there is no support for streaming services other than Tidal. That's a pass.

You can take a look at our M9 Plus, it utilizes four of AK4499EC DACs.

Hello
Will there be an dap with the New akm 4499ex and Android for around 1000 to 1500? I know that the m9 plus is using it but is to expensive for me. Would be really nice. Otherwise maybe i will try the m5 ultra.
Cheers Jonathan

No plans for this price range. If you like Android and AKM DAC, we have M6 Ultra as the ideal choice.
Or you can get our H7 DAC/AMP and use it with your Android smartphone of choice.

Attachments

• 1712475314037.png
    1712475314037.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back