Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #16 of 94
I urge everyone to read the state of Shanling products in headfi threads of EM5, EM7 or EH3 or the feedback of Eddict player in Apple or Android store before buying their products.

We urge interested readers to check the thread on M1s, which is running the same system as M5 Ultra. This system has been evolving since 2018, so it's much more mature than for example EH3, which launched just last year.

I would prefer Android. I fail to see how some in-house made system could be better.

And I have good news for you, as we currently offer 4 different Android players on sale.
There are customers that are looking for simple system and they will find liking in the M5 Ultra.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #18 of 94
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #20 of 94
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #21 of 94
@Shanling hmmm I currently own an H5 and love the sound but the M5 ultra has me super intrigued, I see same output impedance am I right to think it will have similar sound and bass performance?

Also will you add later more streaming apps like spotify ? As there is not only tidal that exists 😅

I really like the M5 ultra concept very affordable

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #22 of 94
I would prefer Android. I fail to see how some in-house made system could be better.

Plenty of entry-level players without Android, but not many premium hardware players without it. I do understand why many people like Android for its flexibility with 3rd-party apps, but I like the idea of decent hardware without being forced to use Google OS - I have utter contempt for that particular corporation infecting modern society as completely as it can. That, plus I like the idea of non-Android OS having more streamlined code than an OS designed to do everything but the kitchen sink. Offering customers the possibility of non-Android usage is a good thing, whether it means a player with only one OS or containing 2 options, at boot-up, as at least one competitor does.

Obviously, one hopes that a non-Android OS is developed sufficiently to work correctly and smoothly.

In spite of my concerns over the sharp-edged design and the output impedance, I sincerely applaud Shanling for producing a relatively pure DAP, without unnecessary bloat, at a relatively premium hardware level, and at a moderate price, and I really do wish them well with it. It's a direction I would like to see more devices go. Maybe Mk.II M5 Ultra may get my money, in 2-3years time.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #23 of 94
every time i come to the HF homepage there is a new DAP.

I think this is only a bad thing for butt-hurt enthusiasts who feel they must keep upgrading constantly to always have the latest-&-greatest.

For those of us who vividly recall when there was just crappy iPod Classic (I had several) and not much audiophile gear other than HM801 and a couple of others, the number of decent DAPs now available is a wonderful thing for all of us.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 94
Beautiful device, maybe that time to upgrade my M6 Pro will come very soon 😀😉😌

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #25 of 94
Plenty of entry-level players without Android, but not many premium hardware players without it. I do understand why many people like Android for its flexibility with 3rd-party apps, but I like the idea of decent hardware without being forced to use Google OS - I have utter contempt for that particular corporation infecting modern society as completely as it can. That, plus I like the idea of non-Android OS having more streamlined code than an OS designed to do everything but the kitchen sink. Offering customers the possibility of non-Android usage is a good thing, whether it means a player with only one OS or containing 2 options, at boot-up, as at least one competitor does.

Obviously, one hopes that a non-Android OS is developed sufficiently to work correctly and smoothly.

In spite of my concerns over the sharp-edged design and the output impedance, I sincerely applaud Shanling for producing a relatively pure DAP, without unnecessary bloat, at a relatively premium hardware level, and at a moderate price, and I really do wish them well with it. It's a direction I would like to see more devices go. Maybe Mk.II M5 Ultra may get my money, in 2-3years time.
I think you were probably referring to Ibasso DAPs with the dual OS support. I can understand why people might prefer a non Android OS for various reasons. But all things considered, I just don't think such a DAP would be very versatile and future proof.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 94
And I have good news for you, as we currently offer 4 different Android players on sale.
There are customers that are looking for simple system and they will find liking in the M5 Ultra.
Thank you for letting me know! I like the M9 model. Unfortunately, it's a bit too expensive for $3k and with the outdated Android version 10.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #27 of 94
Does this have a warm sound like the m8 and m6 ultra or more neutral sound?

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #30 of 94
Return to our simpler MTouch portable players, designed for users demanding the best sound quality, without all the complexities and issues of Android systems.

04.jpg

M5 Ultra is the first player to reveal our new body design, abandoning smooth round lines for more aggressive angular shapes and edges. Its construction follows our high standards, with a machined aluminium frame and glass panels, a bright 4.7-inch HD touchscreen, a trio of hardware buttons for playback control and our classic volume wheel, now with extra illumination.

Running on Ingenic X2000 platform, featuring our latest generation of MTouch system. With a customizable main menu providing quick access to all the files stored on MicroSD card, alongside the built-in Tidal Online Streaming app (To be added with firmware update). And offering a wide range of other playback modes, including USB DAC, DLNA, Airplay and Bluetooth Receiver, now updated with a new wireless module for Bluetooth 5.2 support.

Audio section combines our experience with H7 and M9 Plus. From H7 taking over the balanced amplifier built around Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 and the flagship AKM AK4499EX DAC and AK4191 modulator, but adding the improved I/V conversion stage from M9 Plus. Resulting in our favourite smooth and slightly warmed up sound, that reaches deep into sub-bass, envelops you in a rich soundstage and provides plentiful detail. And thanks to its beefed-up amplifier, providing up to 1100 mW @ 32 Ohm, M5 Ultra becomes one of our most powerful portable players, right alongside the flagship M9 Plus.

Shanling M5 Ultra will retail at 589 USD
Shipping to our international distributors starts at the beginning of April.

01.jpg

Specification
Dimensions: 120 x 75 x 19.5 mm
Weight: 247 g
DAC: AKM AK4499EX + AK4191
Amplifier: Dual TPA6120A
Platform: Ingenic X2000
System: MTouch developed by Shanling
Screen: 4.7-inch 1280 x 720 Touchscreen
Memory: MicroSD card slot
Hi-Res Support: PCM 32 bit / 768 kHz & DSD512
USB Input: XMOS XU316
Wi-Fi: 2.4/5G, supporting DLNA, Airplay, NAS and OTA Updates
Bluetooth: Upgraded 5.2 with Bi-Directional support of LDAC, aptX HD, aptX, AAC
Companion app: Eddict Player app through SyncLink
Connectors: 3.5mm Single-Ended, 4.4mm Balanced, USB-C
Battery: 6000 mAh
Battery life: Up to 11 hours

Single-Ended Output:
Power: 315 mW @ 32 Ohm
THD+N: 0.0009%
Channel Separation: 75 dB
SNR: 121 dB
Output impedance: 4.7 Ohm

Balanced Output:
Power: 1100 mW @ 32 Ohm
THD+N: 0.0007%
Channel Separation: 110 dB
SNR: 124 dB
Output impedance: 6.6 Ohm

resize_06.jpg
Very interesting, especially the combination of the AKM chip and excellent power from the balanced output in such a small, light device. Will it be able to run Qobuz or just Tidal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back