Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #1,607 of 1,659
Still 384 & dsd256 max ?
@Shanling is this limited by dac chip ?
There you go. Screenshot from wireless projection. Which seems more stable now as well. Not dropped thus far, touch wood. :wink:

IMG_2072.png

Attachments

• IMG_2073.png
    IMG_2073.png
    488.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #1,608 of 1,659
Now have had the M30 Pro running yesterday evening on SRC to DSD 256 as well as to PCM 384. I am using the nutube output, which tends to be my default. I have been listening on the ATH W10VTG, the first woodie that ATH ever released.

Here are my initial thoughts.

The new player module is very nifty and nimble. Much more responsive than the previous player module. Not surprising, I suppose because of the RAM upgrade from 6GB to 128GB, Snapdragon SOC to 665 from the old 403. And of course Android 10 (not sure how much this contributes). It is like having a new machine. So, not surprised that Shanling is marketing the M30 with the upgrades built in as the M30 Pro.

I think that DSD 256 sounds discernibly better to me now. Previously, I preferred to the PCM 384, because although DSD may be airier, I found the mids a bit scooped out for me. The W10VTG sounds outstanding with the M30 Pro on nutube output and on DSD 256. I reckon that the added RAM and the more powerful processing power of the new SOC helps.

Overall, the sound seems to be more impactful and ore dynamic. Whether this be on SRC to DSD 256 or PCM 384. :)

IMG_2070.png
IMG_2071.png

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #1,609 of 1,659
Oh yes! Once the new player module is installed, the M30 will show as the Shanling M30 Pro. :)

IMG_2059.png

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #1,610 of 1,659
Still 384 & dsd256 max ?
@Shanling is this limited by dac chip ?

No, DAC chip supports up to 768 & DSD256. Limit of SRC is due to the oscillators used in the DAC module.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 10, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #1,611 of 1,659
@Shanling Kudos to the team. The UI is definitely a lot more snappy and very responsive. Still a bit strange to be using the Chinese UI cos I want to have QQ Music. But it is what it is. Perhaps something to think about just having the chinese streaming apps on both English and Chinese language options.

Another thing I was pleasantly surprised by is that Wireless Projection is very stable as well. Very pleased about that. :)

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #1,612 of 1,659
I think that DSD 256 sounds discernibly better to me now. Previously, I preferred to the PCM 384, because although DSD may be airier, I found the mids a bit scooped out for me. The W10VTG sounds outstanding with the M30 Pro on nutube output and on DSD 256. I reckon that the added RAM and the more powerful processing power of the new SOC helps.

Overall, the sound seems to be more impactful and ore dynamic. Whether this be on SRC to DSD 256 or PCM 384. :)
Thanks for the impression.
I was not really interested to upgrade before if this new digital player didn't bring sound quality upgrade. But your impression make this new player more interesting.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #1,613 of 1,659
Thanks for the impression.
I was not really interested to upgrade before if this new digital player didn't bring sound quality upgrade. But your impression make this new player more interesting.
I can understand that. But yes the increasing processing power that the Snapdragon 665 and the big increase in RAM has a discernible impact on sound quality. 😆

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #1,614 of 1,659
Big shout out to @Uncle Wilson of Jaben SG for the new player module for the M30! Big thanks to @frogbeanz for making time to have coffee and passing this to me. Always a pleasure to meet up! 🤗

Just some photos to show what it looks like. Good looking. And @frogbeanz is right. It does seem more spiffy!

Apologies for the dust. You can tell i made the mistake of using a white cloth as backing to cushion the M30. 🤭

I might post the tear down and put back together photos later for those who have forgotten to do it later today.

Now to kick back for some listening. :)

IMG_2027.jpegIMG_2029.jpegIMG_2043.jpegIMG_2051.jpegIMG_2048.jpegIMG_2050.jpegIMG_2053.jpeg

Stupid question, but how does this actually fit to the unit ?? Any pics from the back or side ?

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #1,615 of 1,659
Stupid question, but how does this actually fit to the unit ?? Any pics from the back or side ?
It simply replaces the current player module. You take that out and then you insert in the new player module in its place.

IMG_2035.jpeg
IMG_2036.jpeg
IMG_2038.jpeg
IMG_2037.jpeg

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #1,616 of 1,659
It simply replaces the current player module. You take that out and then you insert in the new player module in its place.

After posting, i looked at some pics on Shanling website and realised the shape of it. That’s it’s like a “v” shape on its side. I never sent my module back, or contacted seller. It wouldn’t read SD cards & the last attempt, the end of the card snapped, so can’t get it out. I should think of contacting them, but also thought of buying the new module ?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #1,617 of 1,659
After posting, i looked at some pics on Shanling website and realised the shape of it. That’s it’s like a “v” shape on its side. I never sent my module back, or contacted seller. It wouldn’t read SD cards & the last attempt, the end of the card snapped, so can’t get it out. I should think of contacting them, but also thought of buying the new module ?
Well, as you can see from the photos, it the screen is tiltable. It can lie flat or it can be raised from the player unit itself. and the SD card slot is much easier to access now: raise the screen up and the SD card slot is below. :) Yes, you should pick up the new player module. It is also faster and frankly, I think, sounds better.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #1,618 of 1,659
Kudos to the team for getting the full featured QQ Music onto the M30 Pro @Shanling . It just occured to me this morning that it is no longer the stripped down version that M30 previously deployed. :)

IMG_2104.png

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #1,619 of 1,659
@Kiats Thank you for posting pics of the new model! I normally filter my local songs with "Album Artist" and not "Artist", but unfortunately I could only filter as "Artist" wit my M30. Would you be able to confirm whether the new module/UI is able to filter as "Album Artist" or is it still "Artist" please? And if not is @Shanling planning for an update to finally allow us to filter as "Album Artist"? Thank you!!!

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #1,620 of 1,659
@Kiats Thank you for posting pics of the new model! I normally filter my local songs with "Album Artist" and not "Artist", but unfortunately I could only filter as "Artist" wit my M30. Would you be able to confirm whether the new module/UI is able to filter as "Album Artist" or is it still "Artist" please? And if not is @Shanling planning for an update to finally allow us to filter as "Album Artist"? Thank you!!!

It is still the same.

IMG_2245.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back