Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Dec 6, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #1,216 of 1,659
Listening to my new Abyss Phi TC, M30 is showing a larger circular stage than my Ferrum Poweramp stack.
Listening on Turbo Gain at around volume 50 maximum, depending on the material switching between Transistor and Tube mode.
While I am using Bypass in M30 Preamp mode connected to my Poweramp stack, Transistor and Tube are showing a higher amplification for locally connected headphones and especially the less sensitive ones like Susvara and TC are profiting from this higher amplification.
Guess the new power amp module will be a big win for such demanding headphones.
Compared to my Ferrum Poweramp stack M30 is behind regarding tonality, definition, detail when driving Susvara or TC but that can change with the new amp (hopefully)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,217 of 1,659
@Shanling to keep this thread alive, any comments on the new amp module in terms of
- sound signature: besides driving power, is the new amp module changing the sound signature of the 3 amp modes in a noticeable way compared to the current stock amp for the headphone outputs?
- preamp stage: is the new amp module influencing sound signature and/or preamp output voltage?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,218 of 1,659
@Shanling to keep this thread alive, any comments on the new amp module in terms of
- sound signature: besides driving power, is the new amp module changing the sound signature of the 3 amp modes in a noticeable way compared to the current stock amp for the headphone outputs?
- preamp stage: is the new amp module influencing sound signature and/or preamp output voltage?

Prototypes I heard were changing the signature a bit. I will share few more impressions on final unit later.
Amplifier module has no impact on RCA/XLR outputs.

Last edited:
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 20, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,220 of 1,659
Anyone here can give comparison on sound quality alone between M30 & Fiio M17 on DC mode ?
How close or far M17 from M30

I really like M30 as a concept, but until this point Shanling doesn't even have a roadmap for M30 modules made me hesitate
What is a modular DAP without modules ? :sweat:

TIA
I just got the M17 today, and I've got to say, it's one of the best DAPs I've listened to in that form factor.

The M30 has a different signature, much more musical while the M17 is more (can't find the right word) muscular/powerful sounding. Both are excellent, however, the M30 has much much more features and connectivity options that might sway your decision.

I'm happy to report that the new Meze headphones (Elite & Liric) pair extremely well with the M30, I simply sink into my chair and get lost in the music.

20211220_113937[1801].jpg

20211220_113434[1799].jpg

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,221 of 1,659
I just got the M17 today, and I've got to say, it's one of the best DAPs I've listened to in that form factor.

The M30 has a different signature, much more musical while the M17 is more (can't find the right word) muscular/powerful sounding. Both are excellent, however, the M30 has much much more features and connectivity options that might sway your decision.

I'm happy to report that the new Meze headphones (Elite & Liric) pair extremely well with the M30, I simply sink into my chair and get lost in the music.

Thank alot, this is really helpful

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,222 of 1,659
I got an upgrade from my Hifiman Arya to a pair of new Final D8000 Pro on huge discount (2'999 instead of 4'350), while I was at my local store demoing it they let me listen on a Shanling M30, next to the EM5 and a Naim streamer. I was so awed by the sound of M30 I brought that thing home as well :beyersmile: .

First impressions are very very positive, had no problems setting it up and updated to the newest FW through WiFi, Qobuz ran without problems out of the box. The remote app Eddict player on my android phone works with no issues and minimal delay.

The build quality is so stellar, there is nothing else to say but kudos to Shanling for designing such a beautiful piece of audio equipment that looks like a piece of art at the same time. Solid chunk of aluminium, very hefty weight. The top modules are protected by what I assume to be gorilla glass like on a smartphone, it's a finger print magnet, but that's why they also included a pair of white gloves and a high quality microfiber cloth :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. The included stand is also of high quality and holds the M30 well at a reasonably small tilt, however if you want to tilt it a lot, the rubber feet are not strong enough to stick and will start to slide down, but I don't like it tilted too much anyway so no concern here.

The sound, where do I even start...
The amp is powerful enough to drive both the Arya Stealth (duh, it can even be driven by a smartphone now) and the Final D8000 Pro, which needed more juice but the M30 had plenty to give, only needed medium gain volume at 55-70 for how loud I listen. The Super gain mode crushes the dynamics a bit for more punch, which is nice for modern music, but not suitable for classical jazz etc.
It has 3 modes, direct, solid state or tube. The direct mode I didn't like much, it sounded quite flat and unengaging. Switching to Solid state and it retained all the speed and detail but made the sound more dynamic, easily my favourite for when I want to hear all the details. Onto tube mode, which makes you wait 10 seconds while it warms them up, it loses some details but gives you the tube warmth and naturalness and very suitable for relaxed listening sessions. It's great to have both solid state and tube in one machine and being able to switch quickly for whatever mood I'm in.

Compared to my previous setup which consists of a RME ADI-2 DAC and Topping A90, I hear even more details and separation, more dynamics and just a pinch more soundstage. The A90 sounds almost flat and lifeless now in comparison, which I never thought I would think that. Definitely a worthy upgrade, but I'll still keep the A90 setup as pre-amp for my desktop monitors at my PC.

Here are some pictures of my listening corner with an electrical armchair, so comfy I could almost just fall asleep on it while listening. :hugging:

Attachments

• IMG_20211225_152348.jpg
    IMG_20211225_152348.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211225_152619.jpg
    IMG_20211225_152619.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211225_152647.jpg
    IMG_20211225_152647.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211225_152656.jpg
    IMG_20211225_152656.jpg
  • IMG_20211225_152705.jpg
    IMG_20211225_152705.jpg
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,226 of 1,659
Is the M30 able to go through TSA in either carry on or checked luggage? I know there is some kind of battery limit
There is 100 Watt limit, but M30 battery packs fits safely within this limit.

Might be best to take at least the battery pack into carry-on and have screenshot from our website stating capacity and that it uses 5X Pansonic 18650.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 4, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #1,227 of 1,659
Today I listened to the M30 again and changed my mind. I will just keep it at my work office. It is ways better than any small portable can bring in performances wise, especially for my HD800S. Honestly, if Shanling gave the M30 a better software team and marketing team, this device would have been something else entirely

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #1,228 of 1,659
Today I listened to the M30 again and changed my mind. I will just keep it at my work office. It is ways better than any small portable can bring in performances wise, especially for my HD800S. Honestly, if Shanling gave the M30 a better software team and marketing team, this device would have been something else entirely

With the success of the Naim Uniti and other aio devices I wish Shanling did make this device more of a priority. Having desktop performance that you can take on your patio or traveling is really cool. The high end market is definitely there to support it.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,229 of 1,659
I just got my M30. I was planning on using it with my desktop amp until I got something easier to drive but I'm impressed with how well it drives the 1266 TC. For reference my other amp does 16w into 50ohm. It's not an optimal pairing but it's more than respectable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back