Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
May 4, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #556 of 685
Yeah, when I read the changelog I thought it was going to be something like high end tuning, but no. Don't really use it since I listen to spotify.
It's the same feature they have on the MTW3, it only helps you out if you have aptx adaptive, and of course, over 330kbps music to stream.

spotify said it is coming and all the data and rights they need to do HiFi, but they will include it in some more expensive package it will not just be included in premium at 9.99

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #559 of 685
Just updated my headphones, and also done a factory reset and full reset (i.e. held the power button down for ~20 seconds) just for good measure

Fortunately, it seems as though the ANC problem I recently described has been fixed :smiley: I've been wearing these for a good 20 minutes or so now at 100% ANC and I'm yet to hear any glitching etc, however, this may change so I'm still a little wary. I'm not sure if there have been any improvements to the ANC performance though, as I'm only sat in my house where there's virtually no sound to cancel

It also seems as though this update has improved the touch controls in more ways than just allowing for them to be disabled. Before the update, the touch controls were quite laggy as there was a delay between tapping the headphones and something actually happening. Now, actions such as double-tapping seem to be a lot more responsive and reliable—each tap is immediate. It makes the touch controls feel so much more fluid

Edit: I also had a feeling that my pair suffered with slight driver imbalance, which is an issue I've seen mentioned quite a lot. I'm not sure whether this can be fixed with software, but after doing a bit of testing (simply using the 'Test' button on Windows' sound settings), it also seems like that's been resolved. The stereo image seems a lot more central now

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #560 of 685
The more I've read in this thread, the more I feel pushed to Sony ANC instead. Been looking at these vs. XM4/5.

May 6, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #563 of 685
Are these worth buying now or buy something else
I think they’re worth it. I’ve tried pretty much everything. All the Sonys, most of the B&Ws, the Focal Bathys, Drop Panda, and older Sennheiser models.

In my opinion, this is the lightest, most comfortable, most plug and play, clean sounding headphones, at a price that’s very reasonable.

To me, full size headphones at home, and high end IEMs with elaborate setups on the go, can be more cumbersome and sound much better. These Momentum’s are “good enough” in a great way for a simple setup.

May 7, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #564 of 685
There's definitely something going on with ANC. Not sure it's caused by the firmware update.
The infamous "vacuum" effect that causes dizziness and headaches is completely gone.
The ANC is still there, but somewhat different...

May 7, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #565 of 685
I am not sure what this high resolution mode is for...They say it allows 96khz mode with apt-x adaptive, Wasn't it already the case before?

I have the Momentum 4 headphones for weeks and i have always pushed 24 bits/96khz in my Xperia phone settings ...

a bit dissapointed that even with this new high res mode, when i connect it to my windows PC over usb, dac still maxes out at 24bits/48khz no way to have 96khz !

Aptx-HD works quite nicely as well...

Also i am not sure if we can really turn them off, they go to sleep and sometimes i have a hard time waking them up...power button does not always work...
I put them in the case seems to fix the issue which makes me think that they never shut down.

Finally, concerning battery life, they seem to go on and on, i never really have to think about charging them since i sometimes use them wired via usb-c to listen to music

Firmware still under review to know if they fix the other issues

May 7, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #566 of 685
I am not sure what this high resolution mode is for...They say it allows 96khz mode with apt-x adaptive, Wasn't it already the case before?

I have the Momentum 4 headphones for weeks and i have always pushed 24 bits/96khz in my Xperia phone settings ...

a bit dissapointed that even with this new high res mode, when i connect it to my windows PC over usb, dac still maxes out at 24bits/48khz no way to have 96khz !

Aptx-HD works quite nicely as well...

Also i am not sure if we can really turn them off, they go to sleep and sometimes i have a hard time waking them up...power button does not always work...
I put them in the case seems to fix the issue which makes me think that they never shut down.

Finally, concerning battery life, they seem to go on and on, i never really have to think about charging them since i sometimes use them wired via usb-c to listen to music

Firmware still under review to know if they fix the other issues
If I remember correctly (returned them) they go into sleep mode after 15 min. So you can either power them off, or set them aside and wait for 15 min. To wake them up, you have to put them on and touch the touch panel.

And if the high resolution mode works similar to the way Sony implements it, it works as follows: Bluetooth has a limited data rate. Normal mode optimizes it for a stable connection, with loss in audio quality. High Resolution mode optimizes it for maximum audio quality, but the connection isn't that stable any more (stuttering, latency, smaller Bluetooth range, no dual connection, etc.).

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #567 of 685
If I remember correctly (returned them) they go into sleep mode after 15 min. So you can either power them off, or set them aside and wait for 15 min. To wake them up, you have to put them on and touch the touch panel.

And if the high resolution mode works similar to the way Sony implements it, it works as follows: Bluetooth has a limited data rate. Normal mode optimizes it for a stable connection, with loss in audio quality. High Resolution mode optimizes it for maximum audio quality, but it can happen that the connection isn't that stable (stuttering, latency, smaller Bluetooth range, no dual connection, etc.).
Yes the 15 mn trick does work :) , i was thinking of turning them for good with the physical power button... since putting them back in the case then out on my head powers them on (no need to press the power button) . Not the end of the world since i have no battery issue contrary to the PXC 550 i kept a few weeks and would lose battery life easily.

Smart Pause seems to be very finicky since the last update....Removing them does not always stop the music (i use amazon music)

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #568 of 685
Yes the 15 mn trick does work :) , i was thinking of turning them for good with the physical power button... since putting them back in the case then out on my head powers them on (no need to press the power button) . Not the end of the world since i have no battery issue contrary to the PXC 550 i kept a few weeks and would lose battery life easily.

Smart Pause seems to be very finicky since the last update....Removing them does not always stop the music (i use amazon music)
Some headphones have sensors in both ear cups. The Momentum 4 only have a sensor in the right cup. Make sure, that you remove the right cup completely from your head to test it. I felt that the smart pause worked a little too good. Maybe Sennheiser dialed it back a little.

The manual says to turn them off you either a) wait 15 min b) put them in the case c) push the power button for 3 seconds. So there is no need to push the power button before putting them in the case. But it says nothing about a total power off state.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #569 of 685
There's definitely something going on with ANC. Not sure it's caused by the firmware update.
The infamous "vacuum" effect that causes dizziness and headaches is completely gone.
The ANC is still there, but somewhat different...
Yeah they touched that already in the previous firmware. Totally destroys the ANC at any levels. So the M4s are good sounding wireless cans with no noise reduction.

Edit: Good sounding after EQing via parametric EQ of course

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #570 of 685
I love what they did with the EQ tool in the latest firmware update.
It's so easy to tweak the sound now and I finally managed to find the sweet spot for me, with enough bass slam but retaining clarity and soundstage.
I haven't noticed any downgrade in the ANC at all.
It's still better to listen to them wired connected to a Qudelix 5K, but with the new EQ I think they've improved a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back