Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Aug 14, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #76 of 687
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 15, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #77 of 687
Tried these on yesterday.
The pads are angled, but not particularly deep. Much less so than something like the QC45 (which is still considerably more comfortable).
Sound is reminiscent of my WH1000XM4's after some in-app EQ (which are themselves less comfortable than the Momentum 4's).

*edit*
I should mention that I find many over ears uncomfortable. Most people will likely enjoy these. I'd certainly pick them over the Sony's. I may still grab a pair, as I'm a bit of a Sennheiser stan.
For big ears, I'd rank like this:

Best: QC45, EAH-A800
Good: PXC 550-ii
Okay: Momentum 4
Bad: XM4, XM5

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #79 of 687
Preordered a pair in black. Is it possible to run these wired with USB on a PC? To utilize the onboard electronics through USB like my B&O H9 3rd gen?
Yeah you can, they come with a usb-c to usb-a so you can play it off your pc using the headphone's internal DAC

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #83 of 687
Yes excellent sound but poor on everything else, The thing is in this day amd age it’s not just about sound it’s about anc and call quality as well

I seen some videos of these and they are very poor at handling call chat as they introduce far to much background noise and also the anc is behind in other manufacture headsets.

Sound is at the top of their game but is the Sony Xm5 really that far behind these in sound quality. But has amazing anc and call quality and wind block tec
Just thought these would of done better

Also the app is sooooooooo sloowwwww I have the app using the twm3 and used the Sony app in the past when I had the in ear xm4 and way faster and more responsive. Don’t know why the app is slow as hell at connecting and seeing the headset and sluggish.

But saying all that it’s these or the Xm5. I commute a lot and wanted something do remove background noise as the twm3 do it ok but don’t block out a lot of it.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #84 of 687
Yes excellent sound but poor on everything else, The thing is in this day amd age it’s not just about sound it’s about anc and call quality as well

I seen some videos of these and they are very poor at handling call chat as they introduce far to much background noise and also the anc is behind in other manufacture headsets.

Sound is at the top of their game but is the Sony Xm5 really that far behind these in sound quality. But has amazing anc and call quality and wind block tec

Also the app is sooooooooo sloowwwww I have the app using the twm3 and used the Sony app in the past when I had the in ear xm4 and way faster and more responsive. Don’t know why the app is slow as hell at connecting and seeing the headset and sluggish.

But saying all that it’s these or the Xm5. I commute a lot and wanted something do remove background noise as the twm3 do it ok but don’t block out a lot of it.
I guess Sennhesier don't have the resources to develop bepoke class-leading ANC like Sony, Bose and Apple do. But remember that aggressive ANC is not likely to be compatible with good sound quality anyway. I currently have the Sony XM3 which I bought for commuting and the ANC certainly works really well. But I really loathe the sound quality. I have to use extensive parametric equalisation to get them to be even listenable for jazz and classical music and even then they still sound muddled with no sound stage at all. So I'm really tempted to trade some ANC for better sound quality. I sometimes wonder if I should just use my IEMs instead, but wireless is much more convenient.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #85 of 687

Interesting :

M4 711 vs 5128.jpg

Most modern ANC headphones (and that includes the Airpods Max and Momentum 4) have a feedback mechanism that ensures that the same response is delivered regardless of coupling issues in the range where it operates (below 500-1000Hz depending on the model).
In the case of the Airpods Max it seems to result in a pretty steady response in absolute terms when moving from 711 ear simulators to 5128 ear simulators, at least up to 800Hz (to be noted is that it's expected to see a difference above several hundred hertz / 1kHz because of the different fixture).
In the case of Soundguys' M4 results, while the shape of the 50-400Hz region is slopped similarly to 711 results, it's significantly misaligned with the 400-1000Hz results.
Difficult to know more about what could have caused it without additional measurements to characterise where the feedback range operates (up to which frequency).

The recorded channel imbalance is also quite interesting :
Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 09.04.31.png

There's a pretty noticeable step at... 400HZ or so. The high-Q difference around 2-3kHz is the sort of channel imbalance that I've seen so far most frequently on some ANC headphones which also have a very non-linear behaviour under pad compression, ex here (QC45, H910N) : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...se-use-of-the-harman-curve.29633/post-1087051

TLDR : it's the sort of situations where I'd rather listen to the headphones for myself to pass judgment on their bass response. Looking at the 711 measurements, in comparison to the Airpods Max, the M4 looks like they'd have far too much bass, while looking at Soundguys' results they look shaped quite similarly to the Airpods Max in the 100-1000Hz range.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #88 of 687
Preordered last week and they landed on my doorstep this morning, one day ahead of release 🙂

AB0B94D9-56FE-4788-9E01-1E053E6C32A8.jpeg

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #90 of 687

ANC is negligible when you have music playing. If you've ever tried the XM5 or XM4 you'd know the cabin pressure from ANC is a bit nauseating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back